OxygenOS 9.0.10(9.0.11 Hotfix) OTA for OnePlus 6T

1. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 6, 2019

anupritaisno1, Jan 6, 2019 :
    Sorry but I'd like you to try again

The name "cache" is a misnomer and doesn't contain "temporary files" or anything else that you're claiming

It doesn't become slower because the cache is rebuilding but instead becomes slower because it is unable to build it right away

2. Auxqii Honeycomb Jan 6, 2019

Auxqii, Jan 6, 2019 :
    Why are you so annoying and stubborn when all I said was just a fact and I didn't mean to disrespect you, but you are trying to make me feel inferior to you - great, maybe I feel. And yes I don't know much, I'm half way to be a Doctor and not a programmer or a ROM maker - jeez.

Cached data is some data your computer/phone/whatever once worked very hard for (loaded over a potentially slow network, or had to use a lot of CPU on, or even had to read form the disk). It is stored somewhere faster then whatever was used to get/create it first. So if a file on your disk is cached it isn’t cached on your disk, it is cached in your memory. If a file from the network is cached it could be cached in memory or your disk (or both).

Computers have lots of different caches. Lots. Even things you might think of as “fast” like the RAM in your computer are actually slow enough that your CPU has a cache for RAM values. Programs frequently have multiple caches for various things. The operating system caches disk files in RAM, and frequently provides things that cache web pages in RAM and/or disk.

Any cached data “should” be something that can be created or fetched again. In some cases it actually can’t, for example if you have a picture from a web page cached and for some reason the cache is cleared when you have no network, you can’t get that image back until the network comes back…or the web page may have changed in which case the value can never come back.

Some caches have built in methods to keep them from getting stale (like if a web site changes a picture every day you don’t want to look at last months picture just because it is “faster”). This is actually one of the harder problems in computer science (cache invalidation). Lots and lots of policies exist. Some common ones are “throw away old stuff”, “ask the web site/file system/whatever if the thing has changed”, and a personal favorite “who cares”.

So “in theory” throwing away a cache can’t cause a problem…and can’t fix one either. Except in the real world the cache invalidation policy could be wrong, and old data is cached and now stale, clearing the cache will fix that (woot!). In the real world the data may also be “now stale” but can’t currently be refetched, so clearing the cache will expose a problem (boo!).

Clearing a cache will also cause thing to be slower while things that were once in the cache and you need again are computer/fetched/whatever again.

jozydblur likes this.
  3. machokingjim Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

4. martinparker28 Froyo Jan 6, 2019

martinparker28, Jan 6, 2019 :
    No,just wait,the update will come

machokingjim and ironass like this.
  5. ironass KitKat Jan 6, 2019

ironass, Jan 6, 2019 :
    Told to me by my grandmother...

"Patience is a virtue,
    Possess it if you can.
    Seldom found in a woman,
    Never in a man!
    "

Auristic likes this.
  6. Auxqii Honeycomb Jan 6, 2019

Auxqii, Jan 6, 2019 :
    Seldom. Damn I have to see that word in ages.

ironass likes this.
  7. ironass KitKat Jan 6, 2019

ironass, Jan 6, 2019 :
    One tries one's best. ;)

Auxqii likes this.
  8. Saikatsanu Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

9. Auxqii Honeycomb Jan 6, 2019

10. Aman bajaj Eclair Jan 6, 2019

Aman bajaj, Jan 6, 2019 :
    same here on 6t

11. Shiz Strada Gingerbread Jan 6, 2019

Shiz Strada, Jan 6, 2019 :
    1546797789370.jpg
    What data speed is hidden?

12. S1542426130306 Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

13. C1541317044258 Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

14. chandan_aon Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

chandan_aon, Jan 6, 2019 :
    I purchased new one plus 6T but looks like picture quality is not up to mark . I was using one plus 5 earlier and it took far better picture than my new phone . Any software update needed or this is manufacturing defect ?

C1541317044258 likes this.
  15. C1541317044258 Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

16. martinparker28 Froyo Jan 6, 2019

17. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 6, 2019

anupritaisno1, Jan 6, 2019 :
    Arguing with you is useless as you believe all the nonsense you write

Come back when you've read some code

A bit of a warning:
    In the development community we call this "witch hunting"

Prove that the algorithm is inefficient otherwise you're just making conspiracy theories like "windows spies on you" without any proof that it does

Developers do not like baseless arguments. Link to the code and show proof that it is inefficient

Now as for your English

This should have already given you a hint that the "cache" you're clearing was just named "cache" and doesn't perform the functions of a cache

misnomer = wrong or inaccurate use of a name or term

https://www.google.com/search?q=misnomer

Now as for what the cache really is

Note: these links won't open in the community app, use a browser

A thread created just to tell users not to wipe cache:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/stop-wiping-cache.978788/

I have explained what the cache partition does here: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/one-plus-5-lags-after-9-0.974976/page-3#post-19739253

Here's a technical explanation on why clearing the cache is a very bad idea
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/closed-battery-performance.911024/#post-19181266

Here's an explanation about how dash charge causes battery drain because users don't realise that their phone needs to be left at 100% on a charger for a few hours otherwise they will face battery drain
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/request-to-bring-a-update.974731/#post-19736894

Also note this

The compiler used for comping the ART cache will compile in a way that the resultant is always the same. You can even verify the hash before and after by forcing a manual optimisation and they will match as long as only the cache was cleared and neither the ROM nor the app were changed or updated

Still want to wipe caches after learning the truth? It solves nothing

18. A1546341280139 Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

19. Auxqii Honeycomb Jan 6, 2019

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

20. Auxqii Honeycomb Jan 6, 2019

Auxqii, Jan 6, 2019 :
    Um, something went wrong with the post.
    @anupritaisno1

Anyways. As I said I don't really care (deep down) what cache is and what it does. I didn't tell the guy to commit suicide, I just told him what OnePlus would have told him as well. As I mentioned above, my profession is around health/medicine area and not programming - little is my worry if my argument agisnt you is valid or not. You have this tendency to show off to me, like I told you you don't know shit (?) or like I have offended you (?) which is abnormal.. Maybe you should talk to yourself and fix your attitude, like you fix those ROMs.

I didn't judge you. I didn't offend you. Stop acting like a crochety dοuchεbag. I will read the articles you posted, just so you know that even if it's not my profession, even if I don't know what cache really is, and even after your onslaught of your knowledge, I still find these stuff interesting and I still have my temper under control to have a normal discussion with you.