OxygenOS 9.0.5 for OnePlus 3 & OnePlus 3T

1. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

Topper_Gas , Oct 21, 2019 :
    If you'd bought a OP7 you'd probably say the same thing, the issue is what support will you be getting in 2+ years time, probably zero from Samsung.

ghostofcain likes this.
  2. astralbee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 21, 2019

astralbee , Oct 21, 2019 :
    The OP3 is the fifth Android phone I've owned, yet the first one I have never used a custom ROM on. I originally bought into Oneplus (the One) because of their partnership with Cyanogen (now Lineage) as I preferred a lightweight approach to bloaty OEM roms. However, I found Oxygen light, stable, fast and battery-friendly so I stuck with it.

The only issue I've had with 9.0.5 is battery life, so last night I replaced it with the latest official Lineage 16.0. My previous experience with Lineage is that, when OEMs make blobs available, it is rock solid stable, but battery life has never been its strong point. I'm interested to see how it performs against the Oxygen OS 9.0.5 that Oneplus have left us with.

I've gone for official Lineage because, while I appreciate there are well-spoken-of ROMS like Holy Dragon, I've had too much experience of solo-developers and small dev teams suddenly ditching a project because they got new phones.

So far, so good. After flashing the ROM and restoring all my apps, I charged slowly overnight (not Dash) and took it off charge at 7am this morning. I've used my phone a bit for reading the news, browsing Twitter, and listening to music on my 15 minute journey to work. The battery dialogue is estimating I have 23h45m of battery usage left. If true, that's pretty good. Of course, I'll have some more heavy screen-on time this evening, maybe play a game or two, and I'll report back. But the camera quality seems comparable, it is fast and smooth, Google assistant and Android Auto work fine. It is as I would expect any decent custom ROM to be at this stage in a device's lifecycle - completely explored, all bugs squished. There is no excuse for the bad optimisation on the official ROM. Maybe Oneplus should crawl back to Lineage?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019

3. Slavomir Latka
    Eclair Oct 21, 2019

Slavomir Latka , Oct 21, 2019 :
    I hate OP as well as I loved them when I bought OP3 phone. They are trying to damage our phones with these OTAs!!!
    Custom ROMs fix all issues long time ago and we are still waiting for some news.

I must stay on stock ROM because on custom ROMS my bank apps doesn't work :(

I think best solution is new phone, but never more OP!!!

4. Auristic
    KitKat Oct 21, 2019

Auristic , Oct 21, 2019 :
    OK, bye then.

ghostofcain likes this.
  5. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

Topper_Gas , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Perhaps that's the idea didn't Pete suggest recently that OP were going to support ROM developers once their devices become EOL? I assume we're reaching that point next month?

mikheik and astralbee like this.
  6. astralbee

That would be good. TBH though, for all the faults you can level with Lineage, they are the only ROM left that is organised with device maintainers and poised to deliver stable updates to a range of devices. It's good to see a few others like Resurrection still going strong, but they are mostly based on Lineage OS with stuff grafted on from other places and my experience has been that they do a lot more bug-chasing for it.

7. iqbalanis
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

iqbalanis , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Do let us know about battery life on LOS, as I reverted to 5.0.8 due to poor battery & performance on 9.0.5 and I'm thinking to flash either LOS or Nitrogen OS.

astralbee likes this.
  8. justin.janki
    Froyo Oct 21, 2019

9. justin.janki
    Froyo Oct 21, 2019

justin.janki , via OnePlus 3T , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Also looking forward to hear about battery life on lineage os. I too have reverted to 5.0.8 mainly due to battery life. So far though, I have not seen a major improvement in battery life, with the exception that standby time is far better than 9.0.5.

When I have tried lineage os previously, I could not download apps like Netflix because lineage os doesn't support Google play protect certification. Is this still the case now with the latest version?

10. astralbee

That is sadly true - I had to sideload Netflix app from the apkmirror site, which wasn't so much of a hassle, it just means manual updates in future. But I noticed that the version I got from there was very different to the one I'd been using on my OP3 with Oxygen anyway. Unless there was a huge UI overhaul of the Netflix app last night, then I think Oxygen OS hasn't been updating Netflix either. I don't know if anyone else can verify this?

11. justin.janki
    Froyo Oct 21, 2019

Came across this article now. Try it out and let me know if it works

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-fix-device-not-certified-by-google-error/

12. virus streaming
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

virus streaming , Oct 21, 2019 :
    On custom roms install magisk after that u can use banking apps, i hope it help u.

astralbee likes this.
  13. Slavomir Latka
    Eclair Oct 21, 2019

14. rich2e
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

15. E1571586257724
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2019

16. BuenoAmigo
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

BuenoAmigo , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Its just to find views. Anybody think OnePlus 8 will be completely 5G ready and soli sensor (if licensed soli spectrum), with a punch hole camera ( if no bezel) on it and join the Android one family?

Just asking to find different views..

I had plans to leave OnePlus, but none other offers good service center and Customer Services. Found nothing to give a better experience..

Just asking.. hoping to buy another perfect OnePlus device..

Still believe this is the best place with OnePlus 3 n 3t users to find best comments to correct the outlook..

Or, I have to install nougat n wait for the one suits the minimum of it.

Pop up cams, back fingerprint scanner, glass back were a lot bad for my preference. Sorry, not meant to offend Anybody.

iqbalanis likes this.
  17. G_karam_horane_RGxt
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2019

18. astralbee

I’m coming to the end of my first day using official Lineage OS 16.0 on my Oneplus 3. If you read my previous post, I said that the only issue I had with 9.0.5 was the shockingly poor battery life, and I’m looking for something better.

My previous experience with Lineage OS on various devices has been that battery life isn’t its strong point. Well, after about 12 hours and not all that much SOT, my phone needs charging, which isn’t quite as good I was hoping for. However, bear in mind:
    1. This is pretty much the same battery life as I was getting with Oxygen 9.0.5 - today has not been any worse.

2. This is still the first 24 hours after installation of a new operating system - supposedly it takes a day or two for the wiped caches to build back up again, and this hampers battery efficiency. If this is truly the case then it could improve further tomorrow.

3. The phone has performed notably better than 9.0.5. This OS is fast, smooth and efficient. I didn’t realise how much 9.0.5 was lagging until I used this. If battery life on Lineage was the same as 9.0.5, I’d stick with Lineage anyway, because at least it is working for its juice.

4. Although I didn’t clock up a lot of SOT, my phone habits involve checking it quite regularly - 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. This sort of usage can impact battery life overall because the periodic wakes prevent Doze from doing its job.
    So far I’d describe the battery drain on Lineage OS as “fair” - by that I mean that it has ticked down pretty consistently throughout the day, no nasty surprise drains, and it isn’t using performance-restricting methods to extend battery life.

Lineage 16 has 5 different Performance Profiles built in, and I’m using the “balanced” profile, which is the middle of a scale that includes ‘Power Save’, ‘Efficiency’, ‘Balanced’, ‘Quick’ and ‘Performance’. So, it seems that I could sacrifice some performance to gain some power savings, and if the performance on one of the lower settings was still markedly better than 9.0.5, or as good, it could be worth it for the power savings.

I know it is possible to get battery savings using various custom kernels, but in my experience this is a bit of a rabbit-hole. If you use a custom rom paired with a custom kernel, you have to keep up with the development releases for both. When you encounter a bug, you don’t know whether it’s the ROM or the kernel - and most ROM revelopers will not support you if you use a custom kernel. If Lineage’s ‘Performance Profiles’ do much the same job as the performance settings in some custom kernels then this would negate the need anyway.

Stay tuned for more updates.

iqbalanis, Kunlan and justin.janki like this.
  19. astralbee

justin.janki likes this.
  20. justin.janki
    Froyo Oct 21, 2019

Thank you for trying [e]1f44d[/e]

I guess I won't be able to run Lineage OS since I need a few other apps apart from Netflix that requires Google Play Protect certification

Kunlan likes this.