OxygenOS 9.0 OTA for the OnePlus 6

1. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Sep 21, 2018

Manu J., Sep 21, 2018 :
    In short:
    1. We’re working on the development of Android Pie for OnePlus 5/5T, 3/3T. We’ll keep our community updated as we make further process. Keep calm and stay tuned.
    2. Kindly check @FaleshC 's most commonly asked Q&A in the comment section below.
    3. Send us a bug report here if you encounter any on your OnePlus 6.

OxygenOS 9.0 for OP6.png

Hey everyone,

We are very excited to announce that we are ready to roll out OxygenOS version 9.0 based on Android[e]2122[/e] 9.0 Pie[e]2122[/e]. Starting with the Android Pie, OxygenOS version number will correspond with the Android version number.

Changelog
    • Updated system to Android™ 9.0 Pie™
      • Brand new UI for Android Pie
      • New adaptive battery support
      • New Android Pie gesture navigation
      • Updated Android security patch to 2018.9
      • Other new features and system improvements
    • Do Not Disturb mode
      • New Do Not Disturb (DND) mode with adjustable settings
    • New Gaming mode 3.0
      • Added text notification mode
      • Added notification for 3rd party calls
    • Accent color
      • Supported accent color customization

For those who were on previous versions for OnePlus 6, we appreciate your active feedback and for reaching out to us. With your help, we have been able to better optimize and improve several key areas. Thank you for your patience and as always, we look forward to getting your continued feedback in the bug reporting forum here: https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/.

This OTA will have a staged rollout. The OTA will be received by a limited number of users today and will have a broader rollout in a few days after making sure there are no critical bugs. Using VPN to download this build might not work as the rollout Is not based on regions and is randomly pushed out to a limited number of devices.

Your feedback is appreciated. We may not always be able to respond to every comment in the forums, but please be assured that we take your comments and feedback seriously. Hope you enjoy and let us know how you feel about the update in the comments below.

Update:
    we had to delay the 9.0 release for UK and France region due to some carrier certification issues , users in UK and France will be receiving an OTA for 9.0.1 it's the same OTA as 9.0 but which has cleared the carrier testing

Never Settle.

2. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Sep 21, 2018

Stickied Post
    Manu J., Sep 21, 2018 :
    Hey guys, for those of you who are on open beta builds as mentioned in the open beta 1 post follow below instructions to downgrade from beta version
    Instructions for downgrading from Android P Beta version to MP version
    Rollback process:
    1. Download the latest ROM package from the specified server [HERE].
    2. Copy ROM rollback package to the mobile phone storage root directory.
    3. Settings -> system updates -> top right corner icon -> local upgrade -> click on the installation package -> immediately upgrade -> system upgrade to 100%.
    4. Select Reboot system now.
    5. Update successfully.
    Please note: This rollback will clear all contents of the phone, please make sure to back up.
    alter rollback to the stable version of O can update to P version via OTA after global rollout

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

3. FaleshC KitKat Sep 27, 2018

Stickied Post
    FaleshC, Sep 27, 2018 :
    Answers to the most commonly and repeatedly asked questions!!

Q. Why is my brightness low after upgrading to Android Pie 9.0?

A: Google introduced new algorithm for the brightness which will give more control to the user specially in darker environments. The user have to train the brightness preferences for some time in different lighting conditions they use their device so that the device learns it and then adjusts the brightness automatically after that.
    More here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/behind-the-scenes-how-we-adapted-to-android-pie.909531/
    Thanks to
    @Gary C.

Q. Where is clear Cache in Android Pie?

A: Cache partition no longer is available on Pie. So there is no option for clearing it. One has to clear cache by individual app now.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/356365/why-android-no-longer-needs-a-cache-partition/

Cache's Explained Here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/caches-explained.828298/
    Credits to @elanglois

Q. Why is there no Digital Well-Being available in OnePlus 6 running Pie?

A: Digital Wellbeing is currently available only to Pixel devices and Nokia 7 Plus. This may change in near future and OnePlus 6 may be added to its supported device list.

Q.Why is "X" app crashing in my phone running Android Pie?

A: Many apps are still not updated to support Android Pie, that is the reason they are not able to run in the new OS. Contacting the app developer will be much more helpful.

Q. My storage is using extra space after update to Pie, why?

A: Android Pie needs extra space due to new partition system A/B, where there is copy of system partition for seamless updates introduced by Google, thus using extra space.
    More here:
    https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/ab

Q. I downgraded to stable channel, but did not receive the update to Pie, why?

A: The wide-rollout has begun, its only matter of time, you will get the notification for the new update.

Q. I did not like Pie, can i go back to Oreo?

A: Yes you can, the method is same as going to stable from Beta. The method is posted in Page no.1 of this thread, Sticky post no.2.
    Instructions Here

Thanks to @Manu J.

PS: Use browser to visit the link, Community app is not able to parse the link, throwing error "post cannot be found."

Q. Why is my battery draining so fast after update?

A: This is a major upgrade, you should give it some time to settle before the battery starts working normally. Also battery calibration is always a good way to get most out of it.

Q. I do not like the new Recents layout, what can i do?

A: Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it. Its how Google designed it.

Q. I cannot activate the new Pill gestures, why?

A: Sometimes update messes up app data and settings. To solve this clear OnePlus Launcher data and reboot the device.

Q. My Play Store is showing "uncertified" after i downgraded to stable, how can i solve it?

A: Clear Google Play Services data and Play store data and Reboot. Let Play store update automatically and it should change the status to Certified.

Q. Why is Power Button Google assistant activation not available in stable Pie?

A: This feature is still in testing phase and thus available currently only in Open beta 3 and later builds.

Q. Why cannot i use volume buttons to control the ringtone volume in Android Pie?

A.
    Google has made change to it, now we can change media volume by default. OnePlus has provided a shortcut to directly go into settings to make it easier to change the ringtone volume.

Q. Why is YouTube covering the Notch in Pie when i pinch to zoom?

A: The latest update to the YouTube app now embraces the Notch thus, it does not appear in Full Screen options and covers the Notch area. However, i have found an interesting work-around. If you are in YouTube app version 13.15.61, it does not cover the Notch. Upgrading to latest version will lose this ability.

Q. Why my Fingerprint does not work, after my phone is in standby for long time?

A: The Fingerprint service goes to sleep and thus doesn't allow unlocking the phone.
    To avoid this, the current work-around it to turn Off Standby Optimization in Advanced Optimization Battery Settings or wake up the phone using Power button after long standby.

Q. Why does not my screen light-up on incoming calls?

A:
    This happens when the Phone app settings is messed up.
    To solve this:
    Touch and hold on Phone app and Tap on App Info.
    Now tap on
    Notifications and then tap on Incoming Calls(Not the Checkbox).
    Select Behavior and make sure its set to Make Sound and Popup on Screen
    This should allow the incoming calls to notify you lighting up the screen
    Thanks to @ngydat

Q. My clock shows alarm notification 2-hrs prior to actual alarm/ my alarm is missing, what can i do?

A:
    You can follow the steps below to fix it:
    Go to Settings>Apps & notifications>Display all apps>Clock>Notifications.
    Now, there are 2 things to do :
    a) Press on "Clock" (
    Not the Checkbox)>Behaviour
    Choose "Silent display" : this way you won't have the sound notification 2 hours before schedule

b) Press on "Alarm" (
    Not the Checkbox)>Behaviour
    Choose "Sound alert and display on screen" : If you choose another option, the screen won't turn on when the alarm rings. And you also want to set the sound alert to none. Otherwise, when the alarm rings, you'll also hear the notification sound.
    Thanks to @B_Wrath , @ngydat

Q. Why is my slow-mo videos stuttering?
    A:
    It seems to be a known bug currently. Developers are aware of the bug and are working on it. The fix could be released in future update.

Please feel free to add more in case i missed.
    Anyone can read these and get their answers before making any bug reports.
    Thanks to @camohan for putting the idea forward.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

4. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Oct 16, 2018

Stickied Post
    Manu J., Oct 16, 2018 :
    Hey everyone , we had to delay the 9.0 release for UK and France region due to some carrier certification issues , users in UK and France will be receiving an OTA for Oxygen OS 9.0.1 version in it's the same OTA as 9.0 but which has cleared the carrier testing

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018

5. Aks41179 Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2018

6. Lunsarn Froyo Sep 21, 2018

7. Baymax Starting Point Expert Sep 21, 2018

8. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Sep 21, 2018

Cheetosdust, Sep 21, 2018 :
    Great news just in time for the weekend, thank you for sharing them, @Manu J.

It’s awesome to see the dev team working like this. The support you guys are giving to the OnePlus 6 is incredible. Not only with the DP, but with the OB and now the stable release of the new version during September.

This, plus the news about the OnePlus 3/3T also getting the Pie update are a terrific way to get your customers trust.

Hope you guys can continue this during the next few years, definitely a lot of steps in the right direction.

To everyone that’s waiting for this, please read the opening post before asking where is the update. Like it’s mentioned, only a limited number of devices will get the OTA today, so best of luck.

Happy updating and have a great weekend. :)

9. SecureHttp Froyo Sep 21, 2018

SecureHttp, Sep 21, 2018 :
    how do we update if we're running the beta version? I assume you can only receive beta OTAs if running beta. Should we revert to stable then update that way?

10. tortoise14 Honeycomb Sep 21, 2018

11. macsenjose18 Froyo Sep 21, 2018

12. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 21, 2018

13. AkkiAtom Donut Sep 21, 2018

AkkiAtom, Sep 21, 2018 :
    When we will get to update are devices?? There's no software update uptil now. BTW really Excited for for Android Pie

14. DeluxeNoone Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 21, 2018

15. Y1511783653708 Froyo Sep 21, 2018

16. FaleshC KitKat Sep 21, 2018

17. Aks41179 Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2018

Aks41179, Sep 21, 2018 :
    Let's just hope people read original post.. Fingers crossed!

Ruby G., Damonp87, Gremlin247 and 8 others like this.
  18. Sujknair Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 21, 2018

Sujknair, Sep 21, 2018 :
    This is unbelievable. After reading the week in review, i guessed Pie was near. But 3 hours away??? You guys enjoy teasing us users, don't you? [e]1f604[/e]

19. Ribu singh Froyo Sep 21, 2018

20. Vladut123 Honeycomb Sep 21, 2018

21. Maximus Decimus Meridius Lollipop Senior Moderator Sep 21, 2018

22. ngydat Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2018

ngydat, Sep 21, 2018 :
    Again, no one knows. You'll just have to wait

23. GuitarHero0179 Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2018

GuitarHero0179, Sep 21, 2018 :
    It says it right here:

Vaibhh, slowride, sasiwinski and 3 others like this.