OxygenOS 9.0 OTA for the OnePlus 6

1. G_Saunak80
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

G_Saunak80 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Few observations after updating to stable OTA Oxygen OS 9.
    1. Volume rocker only controls media by default which is a Pie thing. But OnePlus please team it to add a settings to choose the default function of the volume rockers - Media, ringtone or alarm. I adjust my ringtone more often than the media and would like to have a choice of what is controlled by the volume rockers. Huge step back by pie.
    2. One can access the ringtone volume from the settings icon below but can't change it without playing it out loud. Outright annoying. Please fix this.
    3. Option to clear cached data is gone. Inconvenient. Please bring it back. Storage space is taking a hit due to this. Individual apps cache can be cleared but is definitely a huge step back.
    4. Option to enable advanced reboot menu gone. Extremely inconvenient. Please bring it back
    5. Vertical events app drawer is gaudy. I can no longer take a quick look at all open apps and choose the desired one. Very inconvenient.
    6. Still there is no way to enable Google assistant from home screen other than voice commands.
    7. Pill button interface sucks and less intuitive. I'm sticking to features provided by OnePlus.
    8. Still no easy way to quick toggle between apps in OnePlus gesture navigation mode. The new recent apps drawers make it more inconvenient.
    9. Still a rectangular Google search bar. Seriously!!! Plus it doesn't go all the way up to the top of the screen. Wastage of screen real estate.
    10. Notifications are much larger and looks awful with the new interface.
    11. New OnePlus shelf it's inconsistent. With dark mode on, many of The items still show up in white. Looks terrible and inconsistent.
    12. Battery life seems to have improved. Can tell only after a week once the update settled down.
    13. Overall performance is very snappy just like before. All apps are working fine.

This could have turned out to a great update but taking so many steps backward now I regret updating it right away.

Thanks,
    Saun

coolnirdh and ZodRules12901 like this.
  2. RbnW01
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

3. Deactivated User
    Sep 26, 2018

4. vivekdugar25
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

vivekdugar25 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    it is ..just swipe up
    1537989117260.jpg

5. fidus62
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2018

fidus62 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Most of the Cupcakes and Eclairs have problems with the update. Why not the others?

coolnirdh likes this.
  6. Deactivated User
    Sep 26, 2018

7. VarunBagri
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

VarunBagri , Sep 26, 2018 :
    very poor graphics & visuals..... and suddenly brightness levels of my phone are reduced for eg: Android Oreo's 50% brightness is equal to android Pie's 100% brightness.

Didnt expected this. want to get back to Oreo

8. Deactivated User
    Sep 26, 2018

9. apoorvadonthi
    Froyo Sep 26, 2018

apoorvadonthi , Sep 26, 2018 :
    yeah by that time you will settle in not the phone.

10. Sam Nakamura
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 26, 2018

Sam Nakamura , Sep 26, 2018 :
    I must totally support your request, that's the typical OnePlus forums mentality, request anything which OOS doesn't offer by default and 95% of the users do blindly argue that request into meaninglessness just to defend OnePlus...
    I'll never get this but hey, it's a company forum - what else to expect?

Cause thing is, just like on Samsung Experience devices this could be implemented as optional feature, even Samsung doesn't force anyone to use it, if anyone feels like this particular feature drains battery or it looks ugly - turn it off...
    I personally rather suspect that it might harm the display panel itself because I cannot think of a other valid reason.
    I really love OP and didn't use anything else since my back then much loved OP2, well I saw all Samsung Galaxy devices since the i9305 as my wife loves them and gets a new one every year...
    I also think OxygenOS evolved damn good but there're things quite illogical, like forcing haptic feedback on d2tw or combining the navigation gesture haptic feedback with the keyboard haptic feedback, I'd love to control it separately, especially as the noise and intensity of haptic feedback itself is outright weird, not comfortable weird...
    Also when they took the battery circle with percentage inside away - many people loved it and miss it to this day but no chance it seems...

And before anyone suspects that I'm wanting to use the AOD myself, no, I'm really happy with the "lift to wake" solution but overall it doesn't make much sense to not give people the option to choose AOD or not for no good reason... Much less makes it sense to claim laziness to users requesting it or battery drain, when even Samsung allows it to be turned off...

poe_fosho likes this.
  11. Deactivated User
    Sep 26, 2018

Kytharsis likes this.
  12. jpc6077
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

jpc6077 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    General consensus seems to be stay on Stable Oreo instead of updating to Pie. Anyone agree or disagree? Seems I will be staying with Oreo until the bugs are fixed on this "stable" rollout.

13. Kytharsis
    Nougat Sep 26, 2018

Kytharsis , Sep 26, 2018 :
    There are no real device-breaking bugs on Pie AFAIK. Sure there are inconveniences but no bugs.

Deactivated User likes this.
  14. Deactivated User
    Sep 26, 2018

UngIued likes this.
  15. Deactivated User
    Sep 26, 2018

Kytharsis likes this.
  16. Dr. Dixant
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

Dr. Dixant , Sep 26, 2018 :
    bettry drainage is too mch fast after update to android 9 ,
    after half hour use my bettery was 64% from 88% ,
    i was too much excited for Android 9 , but bcoz of bettry drainage i m worrying ,
    and i have on my adaptive bettry function ,
    pls fix the issues
    thanx

17. Kytharsis
    Nougat Sep 26, 2018

Kytharsis , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Did you not learn from the Oreo update? Give your battery time to settle, it'll return to normal within a few charge cycles. It's a new OS for crying out loud..

Dr. Dixant likes this.
  18. jpc6077
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

jpc6077 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Thanks for your input. As I just got the Oneplus 6 one month ago, I will stick with Oreo as I have little to no complaints about it and would rather keep the snappiness and 7-8 of SOT rather than perhaps dealing with any issues on Pie at the moment.

Kytharsis likes this.
  19. Dr. Dixant
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

Dr. Dixant , Sep 26, 2018 :
    ok

Kytharsis likes this.
  20. JonasKamp
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

JonasKamp , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Super cool that the update is out! But it's a major bummer for me that you didn't include the best feature of Android Pie: being able to long swipe up to get to the app drawer from anywhere. I just do not understand why you wouldn't include that!?? The other pie gestures are all there, almost un-modified, so what's the problem with this one?
    Also it would have been nice if the old style nav bar had the updated icons.. It just all feels backwards