OxygenOS Battery Saving Tips for the OnePlus 7 Pro

1. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Jun 21, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone! My name is Abhishek and I am a OnePlus Brand Ambassador. Today I am going to talk about the OnePlus 7 Pro’s battery life, and how you can maximize it by some simple yet efficient tricks. I would also love to know the practices you follow when you try to get the maximum out of the 7 Pro’s massive 4000 mAh battery – thus, please do share your tips and keep this conversation interactive.

Before I even get started, I know some of you may wonder why we even need battery tips for the 7 Pro as it already has an amazing battery life and super-fast charging speeds (Warp!). I completely agree, but what if you are traveling and forget your charger, or you go out for a long trek and do not have a power supply. There can be numerous such scenarios and thus it is important to have these tricks handy and use them when the time is just about right!

I am not including the battery saver mode (Settings -> Battery -> Battery Saver) in my list of tips as I’m sure most of you would already know about it. But hey, that does not mean it is not efficient. It in fact is super cool and arguably the most straightforward method to save your juice!

Below are some tips that you can play around with to decide what works best for you!

Tip #1: Dark Mode
    OxygenOS is bundled with an in-built dark mode. OnePlus 7 Pro has an AMOLED display which means that the blacks are ‘true blacks’ and the pixels do not light up while displaying the blacks. This not only looks stunning but also reduces the battery consumption. Additionally, a darker display is good for your eyes too, so it’s an absolute win-win situation to have the dark mode enabled on your device. Go to Settings -> Display -> Theme and choose ‘Dark’ to enable dark mode.

Tip #2: Screen Resolution
    The OnePlus 7 Pro has a beautiful QHD+ display. However, there might be some apps, media, and games that are limited to 1080p. Thus, it is a good idea to let your phone dynamically switch between QHD+ and FHD+. This would definitely extend your battery life as the device will switch to FHD+ while displaying 1080p or lower resolution content, and remain on QHD+ otherwise. This option is enabled by default on the OnePlus 7 Pro, but in case you fiddled with it and wish to enable auto switch again, go to Settings -> Display -> Resolution and select ‘Auto Switch’. Additionally, in some situations when you really, really need to get the most out of your battery, you can choose ‘FHD+’ instead of ‘Auto switch’ to always be on 1080p.

Tip #3: Screen Refresh Rate
    OxygenOS along with the amazing 90Hz display of the 7 Pro is such a wonderful combination that nobody would ever want to get rid of it. However, in situations when you really wish to save the battery of your device, switching the refresh rate to 60Hz might be extremely beneficial. Although the 7 Pro automatically switches to 60Hz in certain conditions, keeping it constantly on 60 can give you the extra bump in your battery life as it reduces the load on the hardware. Go to Settings -> Display -> Screen refresh rate and choose ’60Hz’ to do this.

Tip #4: Advanced Optimizations
    OnePlus has included two advanced battery optimization modes to enhance your battery life further. Deep Optimization restricts the background activity of apps more aggressively, whereas Sleep Standby Optimization optimizes the battery life while you are asleep. Both the toggles can be switched by going to Settings -> Battery -> Battery Optimization

Tip #5: Adaptive Brightness
    While adaptive brightness is convenient to have, it can usually get taxing on the phone’s battery life as the hardware constantly has to monitor to outdoor light to set the screen’s brightness level. It would be a good idea to turn off adaptive brightness when you need to get some extra juice out of your phone’s battery. To toggle this setting, go to Settings -> Display -> Adaptive brightness.

Tip #6: Background Battery Usage
    There are always those battery hogging apps that you cannot get rid of for some reasons. Such apps can be hard to deal with from the perspective of your device’s battery life, but we have a simple tip to take care of it. Simply disable background battery usage for those apps and they should never be able to hog the battery in the background again. To do this, go to Settings -> Apps & notifications -> ‘<Your App>’ -> Battery -> Background restriction -> Restrict.

Well, these were some of my quick tips on how you could extend the battery life of your OnePlus 7 Pro. I am sure there might be many more tips that the community would be aware of, and as I said earlier, I would love to know more about it from you guys.

Cheers. #NeverSettle

Attached Files:

2. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 21, 2019

FlixbusLennart , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Thanks for sharing! Great write-up, I did read it, althought my device still is the OP6 and it has a natural resolution/refresh rate of 1080/60 [e]1f601[/e][e]1f601[/e][e]1f601[/e] (there are 3 grinning emojies here, for the app users...)

My best idea is always:
    Detect the apps that hurt your battery life most and find an alternative.

For example, before the rework, Snapchat was a real battery killer. I switched to Instagram, temporarily, and used it instead of Snapchat.
    Same with an older version of Telegram - it caught crazy somewhere along the road and I started using Telegram X instead.

Second best tip:
    Reduce the heat that your phone is exposed to. Direct sunlight always makes my phone go super hot. That's the time when the battery drain is super high. So, by controlling the heat that your phone has to handle, you might save quite a bit of battery juice as well.

3. BYG BYRD
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2019

4. X1552924727367
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

5. Iamrohit.07
    Gingerbread Jun 21, 2019

Iamrohit.07 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Then why the hell you made 7 pro , when you advising customers to turn off its prominent feature instead of making bigger battery or special optimisation techniques which many companies are using.
    Sorry for the harsh words but you only advising customers to save battery in the price of features you made them to have at that price.
    irrelevant.
    who come up with these ideas?
    Are you the same team which OnePlus??? or they hired better team (may be)

6. mayank020
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

mayank020 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    I think whatever points you mentioned should be part of the Battery Saver mode. Once you turn on Battery Saver mode, all of these settings should automatically switch to the optimized condition.

As an individual, one cannot really judge how much impact these settings change will have individually on the battery. That means it's not right to leave it on the user's judgement. It should be optimized in the background as needed and collectively should be part of the Battery Saver function.

7. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Jun 21, 2019

Ruby G. , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Hi Rohit, these are just tips from coming from a fellow user. Staff will have a staff title in the profile. Are you from the US region? We have done some intros in the past. Feel free to check it out. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/meet-the-2019-usa-brand-ambassadors.1054291/

8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jun 21, 2019

G_plusone , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Even on webpage not visible :eek:

9. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Jun 21, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Those are great tips! I agree that finding alternatives is a good option, but when alternatives do not exist, limiting background battery usage can be super helpful.

And yes, keeping the phone cool always helps. :D

Can you share more details for us to help you on this?

I am not entirely sure, but I believe most of those things should already be a part of the Battery Saver Mode. However, in situations where you wish to limit a certain feature and not all of them, you can tweak things manually and figure out what works best for you. :)

No, I am not a part of the OnePlus team, I am just a part of the user brand ambassador program. You can read more about it here. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/meet-the-2019-usa-brand-ambassadors.1054291/

And I understand your point, however, I am not saying that these tips should be followed all the time. In situations when you do not have a charging option or for any reason you need some extra juice out of your device, the tips can be useful. For example, most phones these days have a GPS sensor, but you can turn it off when you really need to preserve battery and are not using location based services. Not having the GPS sensor at all is not a solution, right? Instead, having the flexibility to toggle it provides a user the added flexibility in using the services. Similarly, most features that I have mentioned have the added flexibility which gives more power to the users to tweak them as per their preferences. :)

10. NoInspiration
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2019

11. G_Gurdeep_singh_Saini
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2019

G_Gurdeep_singh_Saini , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Yeah, such an option would be great.

12. clips
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

13. Pritam871
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

Pritam871 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Well said man..!!

This all tips are very helpful indeed.Like the GPS system is one of the best point.Not all the time we need on our GPS as we know it's already battery consuming.

Well I think Oneplus7pro has done quite a fantastic job for the battery.
    As our lifestyles are different so we use our phone in a different way as the battery consuming will be different for the different people. So all we need to know is some guide or tips so that we can use it fully.
    A valuable post,I must say. Thanks Man!!

14. S1558388618694
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

S1558388618694 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    No issues on my 7 Pro. Battery life is really great. :)

15. N1558446293650
    Donut Jun 21, 2019

N1558446293650 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    and how many hrs of screen on time do u get ? since ur saying average

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 21, 2019

elanglois , Jun 21, 2019 :
    it's raining phone will produce heat, however hot device does not drain any faster

17. N1558446293650
    Donut Jun 21, 2019

N1558446293650 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    even i do... but after the latest update of 9.5.8 im getting about 30-45 mts lesser than what i used to get .... but im still now least worried as this will be boosted in the coming updates and it still gives me more than 6.5 hrs on avg besides.... warp charge will ALWAYS be there for the rescue

Hitman424 likes this.
  18. teduslie
    Froyo Jun 22, 2019

teduslie , Jun 22, 2019 :
    Well said.

Hitman424 likes this.
  19. chalkula
    Eclair Jun 22, 2019

chalkula , Jun 22, 2019 :
    Thank you for sharing these tips. I checked all my settings after reading your article and most were set to your recommendations. I won't turn off 90hz .... ever. I like that too much.

Dirk66, Haroldj1590 and AbhishekS287 like this.
  20. U1558978998260
    Froyo Jun 22, 2019

U1558978998260 , Jun 22, 2019 :
    yeah but if you put a bigger battery people already complaining how heavy the phone is. witch it's not, all the write up is about some quick tips. calm down people!!

Felix@OnePlus likes this.