OxygenOS Beta Program: Explained.

1. Vivek2989
    Gingerbread Oct 13, 2016

akwadhwa171986 and Anji Vanamala like this.
  2. Vito B.
    Community Manager France Staff Member Oct 13, 2016

Vito B. , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Thank you for the explanation.

I'll stick with stable after enjoying CB (1, 2, 3). I found them great and very stable for betas but I don't want to fell again in falshalcoolism XD

akwadhwa171986 likes this.
  3. malidan
    Marshmallow Oct 13, 2016

malidan , Oct 13, 2016 :
    I guess to many Phones are being sent back to O2. Launching a device with dev software:rolleyes:

4. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

harlekinwashere , Oct 13, 2016 :
    You explained the concept of a public beta.

You repeated the plea to "do this for the community".

Now - can you please explain, what this means as an "ongoing concept" - and what your "testers, but for free" get out of it in return.

Company policy still is, not to talk about any issues openly - right? And to stop supporting peoples phones about one year after their release.

So despite the "ethusiasts bug hunt" what part of this is altruistic, sustainable, giving back to the community, responsible, ....

Lets look at it this way - on a videogame, you have a public beta shortly before release to drum up excitement, get the word of mouth going, fix a few remaining bugs.

On an open source OS - you have people contributing for the benefits of others and the result of the labor is owned by everyone.

In the Oneplus model you take enthusiasm, bet on that people will catch bugs for you, do some focus testing - and then deliver a result that you have to deliver anyways. Of course I am not participating - because exposure to more faulty code on a regular basis is not in my self interest. Frankly - I've better things to do.

But count on me to still get angry - if three months post launch your phones still doesn't get notifications, like a normal phone.

Also - who will be taking the feedback, what is the criteria for you starting to work on an issue - who decides on the major policy shifts - like, when you should integrate adware or micro transactions, ...?

The important questions are unanswered, but you expect your customers to work for you - did I get that right?

Because - community.

5. Bradon H
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

Bradon H , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Nope, you didn't get that right. If you want to check out new features early, then we'd love to have you try our beta program. If you don't, you'll get official OTAs.

We're not "expecting" anything - just providing options.

6. vamshi prasad
    Gingerbread Oct 13, 2016

7. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

People - get your calendars out and mark the days around the end of every one of the two week cycles - because, you are expected to work for Oneplus in that time to receive a working phone in return.

For the entirety of the support cycle of your phone which lasts about a year. If you work for them longer - well - things start to get fun.. ;)

Please work at least two times as hard as you normally would - essentially for the people like me that will not be participating, because they see it as unethical to work repeadetly, doing stuff that isn't fun (at least videogame betas are.. ;) ), for no compensation, and not even a sense of ownership. With no dedicated goal and for nothing they wouldn't get anyways...

If you look at your critics and essentially think "how could we exploit what they are doing, but with less public attention" ("no - those customers are working on a "beta"") - you've essentially lost me.

Good luck with your efforts - I don't think that you can spin this project as an effort to "listen to your community" - but what do I know...

Maybe - we could donate some money instead? I mean, with Onplus becoming a fully fledged cult that doesnn't pay his workers any wages... I hear Tom Cruise has got his house remodeled by "a community" recently as well... Also - to whom do I send the tax authorities?

Oh, community work is so fun. Just make sure to save the dates. Every two weeks - don't miss it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

8. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 13, 2016

meatandy , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Nothing ....:p welcome back

9. Jac_Q
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2016

Jac_Q , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Stop crying. Nobody forces you to do anything.

10. runboy93
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2016

runboy93 , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Is "hotfix" same as "OTA", because it seem like it :/

No new Community Build 3.5.4 yet, 3.2.7 hotfix released sometime ago, without official post.

When there will be next update?

11. manu0025tyagi
    Froyo Oct 13, 2016

manu0025tyagi , Oct 13, 2016 :
    What about the OnePlus 2 @Brian Yoon ..And why are you simply ignoring the question about OP2 And answering all question for OP3?? If this program is only for OP3 than just clear this for OP2 users..But atleast respond to all....

Pieryck, SgtRolf, Htagahb and 16 others like this.
  12. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Oct 13, 2016

Ceasedd , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Yaaay! No more Where's my update threads" :)
    I really like the Community Builds Program.

otto2 and Deepak.Si like this.
  13. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Oct 13, 2016

dsmonteiro , Oct 13, 2016 :
    I could quote dozens and dozens of posts asking OnePlus to release beta versions of the OS. But then, best case scenario, you'd answer without quoting or tagging me, while tiptoeing around the facts. Worst case scenario (more likely), you'd ignore it and repeat the same statements over and over again.

So yeah, have fun ranting about things that make zero sense. It almost makes an interesting read. Almost.

14. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Oct 13, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  15. Wackencorpse
    KitKat Oct 13, 2016

Wackencorpse , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Thx for sharing this information. Now I know a little bit more about the different updates and release dates. I am using the beta community build since the first day and I got no problems till today. They could be used as a daily driver and I can't understand what @harlekinwashere is talking about. If you don't want to support the community, you don't have to support.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

script, otto2, volteon and 1 other person like this.
  16. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

They really live "for the community". They live for "exploiting free labor" as well - but don't worry - you can become the guy that found a bug they had to fix. Think about all the glory that earns you. Or think about the glory you'll get, when one of you bugs is ignored as usual - because another "stable" release has to be put out...

Become a part of it. Never settle.

"Hey, fan - its two weeks again, the new community build is out! We still have no releaseable OS from our new dev team, but we'll get there... Some day. In two week increments. With you only having anecdotal impact of what our OS will become, because no one cares about you necessarily - let us manage it and not talk about it, while you find us the bugs - right?"

Disclaimer: Buying a Oneplus phone might not include the necessary software to run it, if you don't put in a little extra effort.)

Also - I have a question! Could workers get worker discounts in the company store?

gernot77, tedulus and nyzproof333 like this.
  17. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Oct 13, 2016

dsmonteiro , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Screenshot_20161013-135322.png
    According to your logic, I must be rich for beta testing software for both Google and WhatsApp. Let me check my bank account real quick.

Nope. I guess Microsoft still hasn't sent the money they owe me for testing Windows 10 early builds.

18. Sudharsan.R
    Froyo Oct 13, 2016

Sudharsan.R , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Being a previous windows phone user, this is something what Microsoft nearly does. They had preview builds at 2 different levels(like the closed and open beta in OP)other than the official build. It seemed good. Nice to see that OnePlus is adopting!! Kudos to the team! It will be also nice if these preview builds are made available fr all of ur flagships rather than just one!

otto2 likes this.
  19. florincostescu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2016

florincostescu , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Can we please get back and focus the main subject, please? Let's leave the confused vj's aside and to use the moderator, assistant moderator, secretary of assistant moderator...to reply on top linked questions. There's a guy asking "how to close beta thing", we're all waiting the answer. Common guys focus on the main topic. Please. Thanks

Damerchi3 and adam5zki like this.
  20. Auristic
    KitKat Oct 13, 2016

Auristic , Oct 13, 2016 :
    You're right there should have been around 10 since 2016-05-23...

fernandik, chzetzl and adam5zki like this.