OxygenOS Beta Program: Explained.

1. lalit.kultham
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2016

lalit.kultham , Oct 13, 2016 :
    It's logical to assume that they will be prioritizing their newer phone OP3. But how they are completely ignoring any question regarding OP2 is very worrying. Prioritizing one, shouldn't mean ignoring other.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Oct 13, 2016

dsmonteiro , Oct 13, 2016 :
    You do understand that moderators do not work for OnePlus and therefore can't answer you those questions, right?

3. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

harlekinwashere , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Let me get this straight - in you mind a beta test is "getting new code every two weeks" - and being proud of not noticing any issues so far - despite the intention of the beta test being that you find and report them.

"Stuff" is good because its "new".
    "Stuff" is good, because its "from the right brand".
    Getting opted into a public beta testing effort on an ongoing basis, for a private company is "just what you wanted to experience"...

Basically I'm talking about this as being organized exploitation on an ongoing basis.

I mean its fun with you having something to do every two weeks, and not finding any issues with it - but this isn't exactly listening to your community. This is putting them to work for you.

tedulus and nyzproof333 like this.
  4. jkb114
    Lollipop Oct 13, 2016

jkb114 , Oct 13, 2016 :

rarog and dsmonteiro like this.
  5. rarog
    Lollipop Senior Moderator Oct 13, 2016

rarog , Oct 13, 2016 :
    I do not see him answering any questions or writing anything besides the initial post. Under every OP2 Marshmallow OTAs I found people asking "what about OPX". When OPX OTA to Marshmallow finally came out, I found the re people asking "what about OP2". The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.
    So far there is no ongoing public beta for OP2 and OPX, this doesn't mean that features, that are tested in the OP3 community builds (yes, usability, not hardware enhancements) won't find its way to the other devices.
    So far it was only announced for OP3. Period. This thread gives some background information about the beta program for OP3. Period.

So to anybody asking "what about OP2" the only answer would be "so far there is no public beta program for it". Though this is obvious, as there isn't any information in public, there are no downloads, anything.
    So what are questions not related to OP3 public beta program in this thread? They are off-topic. Period.

6. jkb114
    Lollipop Oct 13, 2016

jkb114 , Oct 13, 2016 :
    You do know that this isn't mandatory in any shape? If you don't like it, just don't participate and wait for the official builds

7. rarog

rarog , Oct 13, 2016 :
    No moderator is official. We know as much as you do, we don't have any secret insight and secret informations. We do not fly to Mars to beta test the OP13, which will come out in 2026. And we can't answer any questions officially.

8. Wackencorpse
    KitKat Oct 13, 2016

Wackencorpse , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Sorry, but I can't understand your argumentation. I don't know a OS (pc, mobile phone, tablet etc) which has no bugs after release. The community builds are stable and if there are little bugs, the dev team didn't recognise we can report them and the dev team will fix them. Maybe not in the next build, but as soon as possible.

9. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Oct 13, 2016

SoniaB , Oct 13, 2016 :
    How can something, that is voluntary, not forced on any individual be classed as exploitation.

Perhaps you are missing the "spirit" in which the community builds were set up.

I volunteer on this forum as a moderator. I chose to apply knowing I get no compensation, monetary or otherwise for that role.
    Am I being exploited? No, because I chose to do so of my own free will.

You do not want to participate, then don't join the beta group. Its as simple as that.

10. rarog

rarog , Oct 13, 2016 :
    @harlekinwashere I do not see you protesting against Windows Insider program, where thousands of people are by your logic working for free, are exploited by Microsoft, just to beta test the latest Windows development. Where also heavy bugs are reported, those which cause data loss and boot problems. Bugs, which are partly ignored and rolled out to everybody in the world causing problems. And please show me one company that pays public beta testers to beta test it? Both sides benefit from it, user and the companies. And this is the standard situation worldwide. It's not mandatory to anybody.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

11. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

Also - don't you find it suspicious, that they just lost half of their dev-team, and now all of a sudden find their undying love for outsourcing to the community?

Entirely unrelated I suppose. Also - could buyers of the Gold Oneplus please get get an extra speech by the "we love our users" departement, I mean they bought a gold phone - and now they are put to work - so they can get a functioning OS in the future, without those pesky bugs of other chinese brands' phones -- that has to be especially hard on them...

Also - remember, that I wen't through this entire gag with Oppo (their mother company) and the Find 5 before. They don't love their users, they love free labor. Thats from my personal opinion.

The results werent great. In fact I would be amazed, if this project could be sustained past the first three months.

Because the the interests here are so far apart. In fact, breaking the social contract in all of a sudden working for a product they already have paid for and expected working is problematic enough - having thank you for being able to work for you without compensations is something almost otherworldly...

People will get privy to what it means eventually...

tedulus and nyzproof333 like this.
  12. BrunoABR
    Froyo Oct 13, 2016

BrunoABR , Oct 13, 2016 :
    I REALLY wish that in the next update the phone app could show the contacts from only one selected google account and that the blacklist option was better....like in lg phones...

13. lalit.kultham
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2016

lalit.kultham , Oct 13, 2016 :
    Bro what are you smoking?

14. rarog

rarog , Oct 13, 2016 :
    You know exactly, how many people worked before and after Helen left? I do not know the numbers and I do not try to guess.

Also a limited (not ongoing) public beta program existed for OP2 as well. And Helen was still present at that time.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

15. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

Because you made people pay for the phone first - then you explained to them that they would have work for you "voluntary" - but its expected, and you would count on it going forward.

Its a bait and switch.

Also - because the cause is not in fact altruistic.

People are volunteering work, so you have to pay less for development. Why? You are in your third year as brand, you have one of the top 3 chinese phone manufacturers on your side, you wan't to rapidly expand to the indian market...

Your answer always is the same: "Because they love our brand".

Why should we buy the Oneplus branded backpack merch? Because we love the brand.
    Why should we buy the cheap Oneplus branded headphones or plastic phone skins? To express our individuality in loving the brand.
    Why should we work on your OS on a regular basis? Because volunteering free labor shows you how much we love the brand.

Working for Oneplus, for free, is in your self interest for about a year at max. What do people do after that? They invested workours, they don't get any returns - they bought a phone they thought was supported by the manufacturer - but in fact, they were expected to support it themselves.

You can't be that naive - to not see any of those shortcomings.

fernandik, tedulus and nyzproof333 like this.
  16. Vbhv
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

fernandik, kpmak, awesomeX1 and 2 others like this.
  17. sfomin
    Nougat Oct 13, 2016

18. rarog

rarog , Oct 13, 2016 :
    ->

Tokolozi likes this.
  19. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Oct 13, 2016

SoniaB , Oct 13, 2016 :
    You say "you" as if I am OnePlus. Which I am not.
    Also, where does it say that OnePlus as a result will pay less for development?

Bear in mind, the developers are still developing the ROM, building it, adding features.
    That is not done by beta testers.

When OTAs are released, bug threads are created, in many ways, OTAs are tested as well by users en masse. So I do not get your logic.

Plus myself and many others have been on this forum for over a year already. From what you are saying, we should have left already?

20. Vbhv
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2016

lalit.kultham likes this.