OxygenOS Beta Program: Explained.

1. nitrek Gingerbread Mar 16, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  2. F_Aman_Ali_JOLz Donut Mar 29, 2018

F_Aman_Ali_JOLz, Mar 29, 2018 :
    you people said 1 OTA update every 1-2 months last month(February) we didn't receive any OTA update can we expect in this month..we r looking for face unlock feature,notes app,user feedback app..and many more(but the OTA update we didn't receive till now..????

Vladut123 likes this.
  3. Nicky_Wallace Froyo Mar 30, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  4. SvMagus Eclair Apr 13, 2018

SvMagus, Apr 13, 2018 :
    1. Why beta development has more time than stock?

2. Why do we have to wait for security patches but open beta users don't?

3. Why can't you share a road map?

Vladut123 likes this.
  5. Gnawd Honeycomb Apr 13, 2018

6. Nick 59 Lollipop Apr 13, 2018

Nick 59, Apr 13, 2018 :
    1. Beta builds are part of the development process. You cannot have stable builds without betas first.

2. Because beta builds, by definition, are later improvements on previous stable build, hence later security patch.

3. Because then we would have a stream of unnecessary posts about any variance from plan. Development takes time and can often face unexpected issues so no ETAs are ever given.

7. Daan_Eekhofアニメ Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2018

Daan_Eekhofアニメ, Apr 13, 2018 :
    Couldn't have said it better.

8. Svrutz Gingerbread Apr 13, 2018

Svrutz, Apr 13, 2018 :
    Why you does not change your version for beta if things you think so important are available in it?

Vladut123 likes this.
  9. MentalDraco Lollipop Apr 13, 2018

MentalDraco, Apr 13, 2018 :
    1. It's beta, that's where the testing occurs, and

2. OP is gearing up for OP6 so don't expect updates any time soon.

Vladut123 and otto2 like this.
  10. Richard Dike Honeycomb Apr 13, 2018

Richard Dike, Apr 13, 2018 :
    Beta just got another update. It was small, so OnePlus is tweaking the 8.1 for the OP6. According to the Open Ears Software post from San Francisco, the stable 8.1 is coming very shortly to the 5t and mid year to the 3.

I have found the OnePlus Beta's to be incredibly stable.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Vladut123, otto2, G_T_Bennett and 2 others like this.
  11. SvMagus Eclair Apr 13, 2018

SvMagus, Apr 13, 2018 :
    I know that
    so.

"Security patches". Do beta testers, provide feedback on them? are there unexpected issues? I am guessing, since my device is still in the DECEMBER security patch, that beta testers have found issues with the January, February, March and April security patches with unexpected issues. Based on your 3 points answer, this is now my perception. For any other person trying to help, OR NOT, this is serious because Why would I buy another Oneplus device, if their developers can push everything to beta, since they will not be responsible for "unexpected issues" but wait 4 months(or who knows how much more) for security patches. Then the 8.1 will come out with the patches and then we will wait until December for a new release? Just like the oneplus 3T (my previous phone) last year?

Vladut123 likes this.
  12. SvMagus Eclair Apr 13, 2018

Vladut123 and Shareef Mahaboob like this.
  13. Nick 59 Lollipop Apr 13, 2018

Nick 59, Apr 13, 2018 :
    No, you have not understood. Read my post again please.
    The reason you still have Dec security patch is not because there have been problems with Jan, Feb & Mar patches but because you have not had a stable update since the one including Dec patch.
    Next stable update will include latest security patch.

Vladut123, otto2 and Richard Dike like this.
  14. G_T_Bennett Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2018

G_T_Bennett, Apr 13, 2018 :
    I guess you haven't used very expensive phones in the past.

Vladut123, otto2 and Sai Nitish like this.
  15. Sai Nitish Gingerbread Apr 13, 2018

16. Richard Dike Honeycomb Apr 13, 2018

Richard Dike, Apr 13, 2018 :
    The support for OnePlus is actually pretty good. The security patches could be a bit more timely, but you must realize that OnePlus is a much smaller company than g Google or Samsung, so they have to allocate resources differently. They do not have all the resources in finances and personnel to work on all things device related at one time.

You can choose to join the beta program and then you will get updates quicker due to the beta program being a way an OS can have limited real-time testing. Sometimes there are some minor issues which are reported via the beta feedback forum, but not everyone experiences those issues. It is always surprising how supposedly identical phones can respond so differently to OS upgrades depending on carrier, apps, and even location.

OS upgrades are a very complex process. It is not a straight line add something and all is well. Just minor changes have an almost "butterfly effect" on a device.

You can get monthly updates by purchasing a new BlackBerry or a Google Pixel. The problem with BlackBerry is they no longer make devices: TCL is now the hardware maker and you don't know how accurate their claims are of support. To buy a new pixel when they are first released you will pay a lot more than you will for a newly released OnePlus.

Vladut123, otto2 and Nick 59 like this.
  17. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 13, 2018

Waveform Modifier, Apr 13, 2018 :
    @SvMagus
    Also, not every security patch always applies to all devices. There are patches for say for example, a patch for a FM antenna. None of 1+ devices has that antenna, therefore, that patch doesn't apply to those devices. So, not every patch is needed.

Vladut123, otto2 and Richard Dike like this.
  18. aea985 Cupcake Apr 13, 2018

aea985, Apr 13, 2018 :
    Hi all,

After using the 5T for sometime since 1st Jan 2018. What I noticed sometimes I schedule SMS messages on my previous phone S6 Edge Plus. But his option is not available here.

Another thing I noticed is that Dash charging only works for my phone. It doesn't work on the Samsung S8 edge when my boss asked I told him he can charge his phone within half an hour.

Now I'm unemployed and I know

Thank you Dash charging

Attached Files:

Vladut123 likes this.
  19. Kytharsis Lollipop Apr 13, 2018

Kytharsis, Apr 13, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

20. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 13, 2018

pablofg1978, Apr 13, 2018 :
    Thread merged

Vladut123 likes this.