OxygenOS Open Beta 2 for the OnePlus 6T

1. (DeXteR) Froyo Jan 10, 2019

(DeXteR), Jan 10, 2019 :
    I faced the lag issue as well but from some weird reason a reboot just solved that issue for me altogether. No idea how.

2. Mister_X_CDN Eclair Jan 10, 2019

Mister_X_CDN, Jan 10, 2019 :
    I'm wondering if testing beta software is for you...
    asking if there are problems with beta software seems to me like a red flag....

3. Mister_X_CDN Eclair Jan 10, 2019

Mister_X_CDN, Jan 10, 2019 :
    if you really want to proceed

go to the below link
    https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=9

instructions at the bottom of the page

1547146731266.jpg

Fair warning, you need to READ everything....asking about returning to stock software is dragging this forum down quickly

4. Raccoon77 Cupcake Jan 10, 2019

Raccoon77, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Since I'm using a lot of dark themed apps this point is very important to me. Are there any real changes in beta for now? Do dark themed third party apps have dark nav bar?

RoscoeDpG likes this.
  5. RoscoeDpG Donut Jan 11, 2019

RoscoeDpG, Jan 11, 2019 :
    So far in me experience some are and some are not like I use textra and the nav bar isn't it stays white

6. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

anupritaisno1, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Okay I've seen this for a while and
    Just wow this is a prime example of "easier said than done"

As for your guide it's too hard for the average user to follow

The msm download tool requires you to install a replacement for a driver already provided through windows update and since windows update has a newer version than the driver you need installing the driver is very challenging because every PC it would be installed on would produce unique results

There is also more than one download mode available and the common user cannot distinguish. How can you tell someone to just press random buttons on their phone when you yourself don't know which download mode to boot to?

FYI there's a qdloader mode which allows the operating system to be flashed
    There's a diagnostics download mode that allows IMEI to be written
    I doubt you would have even known that there were 2 download modes, each doesn't perform the functions of the other and that both are accessed through the same key combination

Also the msm download tool is aimed at hardware engineers. The consumer was never to use such a driver
    The installation instructions for the driver itself are pretty bad be it XDA or wherever. The driver itself is supposed to be installed on service center computers which just use image files of the entire operating system to preinstall the driver since even the service center personnel don't know about it's installation

Stop linking to that nonsense of an article. The msm download tool is aimed towards hardware engineers and the like and not the common user. You cannot expect the common user to just do it by reading a guide

H1510770010177 and (DeXteR) like this.
  7. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

Let's be honest here

That download tool is aimed towards hardware engineers

So you're trying to tell me that the user can't follow simple instructions to flash an image in TWRP because the same user can't install a driver and use a tool made for a hardware engineer

I want to see the logic here

You claim to be the smart guy here but in reality you have to learn first. You are giving advice to users without having any knowledge of the subject you're giving advice on

(DeXteR) likes this.
  8. Mister_X_CDN Eclair Jan 11, 2019

Mister_X_CDN, Jan 11, 2019 :
    To be honest you are correct, the average consumer would be lost with going from beta software back to standard OS

I myself have been rooting, unlocking my bootloader on serveral phones from a Google Nexus, Samsung S2,S4 Note 4 and Axon 7

Beta testing is definitely not for everyone, and they should understand the risks taken before diving in - thinking they are a component beta tester, beyond that of a regular consumer

9. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

I have fixed more than 200 devices on this forum using that exact tool for almost 3 years now

Trust me I know how bad that tool is and I hope that most users will never have to use it

It's not something you can do by simply reading a guide the instructions are unique to each PC and there are too many variables not under control to even write a proper guide.

Using that tool is not something the average user can or should do

10. ironass Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2019

ironass, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Please feel free to offer an alternative option.

11. ronnyhawks Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2019

ronnyhawks, Jan 11, 2019 :
    Please feel free to offer an alternative option.[/QUOTE]
    update drivers

12. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

The downgrade fails due to the rollback index. Since the open beta's rollback index is higher than that of the stable version the bootloader rejects the downgrade and that's why the tool is needed

However a much safer method would be to:
    Unlock your bootloader
    Boot TWRP with fastboot boot (I said boot NOT flash)
    Do not swipe allow system modifications
    Flash OOS
    Wipe > format data > type yes > press enter
    Reboot and refuse TWRP's offer to install the app
    Do not install TWRP persistent
    Once booted into android go back and lock the bootloader

This is a lot safer than the unbrick tool

13. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

update drivers[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure oneplus did not even make that driver and that Qualcomm uses the same driver for multiple phones

A driver extracted from the op2 for instance can be used to unbrick all oneplus devices and even a few others

It's very likely Qualcomm made those drivers and that oneplus is only distributing these

14. ironass Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2019

ironass, Jan 11, 2019 :
    You appear to assume that users have TWRP installed or would find installing TWRP and following your instructions would be any easier. If you would care to write a tutorial in a separate thread for downloading and installing TWRP and then its use in reverting back to stock firmware, once you have tested it yourself, and be prepared to offer assistance, I will be more than happy to link to it in future posts.

inkaine and Saenz4931 like this.
  15. Saenz4931 Gingerbread Jan 11, 2019

Saenz4931, Jan 11, 2019 :
    90% of the plp hear can't even fallow instructions giving nor how to search on YouTube to fallow a step by step video. .. and you think they will be able to fallow your direction lol.. they're still asking why they haven't get the update yet lol

inkaine and ironass like this.
  16. Saenz4931 Gingerbread Jan 11, 2019

Saenz4931, Jan 11, 2019 :
    someone needs to let that ego go and actually do something nice for the community.. make a vid and a simple tutorial for those with questions.

inkaine, Mister_X_CDN and ironass like this.
  17. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

I was ready for the "once you've tested it argument"

Sadly this is what developers do all the time to reset the rollback state so I believe there's no reason to prove that it works because it is in Google's docs already

To install a custom ROM you sideload it's recovery or boot image and boot it's recovery. You then install the custom ROM, enroll it's keys and lock the bootloader

The bootloader is the standard way to reset the rollback index and to also enroll a custom key

Consider OOS as the custom ROM here

Also busting a myth: there is no difference between a custom ROM and a stock ROM

It's still better than using drivers made for like one operating system
    Nobody other than Qualcomm even knows the download mode protocol
    Interrupt the tool accidentally and you can lose your entire partition table and would have to send the device in anyway
    Struggle with installing drivers from untrusted sources

Or would you rather use fastboot:
    Works on many operating systems
    Protocol is a standard and people know how it works
    If you interrupt the flash you can just resume from where you left off without thinking too much about it
    Has a proper interface to communicate with the TEE
    No need for following weird driver installation instructions. It just works

18. ironass Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2019

ironass, Jan 11, 2019 :
    So, does that mean that you will start a separate thread as a sort of, "Dummies Guide", with full step-by-step instructions and possibly a video and be prepared to support it to help beta users revert to stock OnePlus Oxygen firmware or not?

19. david72262 Gingerbread Jan 11, 2019

david72262, Jan 11, 2019 :
    if the tool is so touchy as you put it why does OnePlus use it? I've been through a remote secession with them before no special drivers no nothing you download the tool from a link they send you next day they remote in and push the button I through it was quite funny really. nothing I couldn't have done myself. but hey the phone is only 2 days old had a bad factory flash when I got it or something. Tool fixed it. You act like you know what your talking about and I don't know the workings of the tool. I be always done it the long way in the past through adb but this tool sure saves time if your going back to outta the box condition.

20. D_Akhil_Reddy Donut Jan 11, 2019