OxygenOS Open Beta 24 for the OnePlus 5 and Open Beta 22 for OnePlus 5T

1. PokiX
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2019

PokiX , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Yup

2. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Jan 1, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Jan 1, 2019 :
    But why don't modify system upon booting the recovery?

3. PokiX
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2019

PokiX , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Because not required? Otherwise OTA incremental will fail if system got modified.

4. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Jan 1, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Ok...
    If I don't modify system does my recovery get replaced by OOS or any future incremental/full ROM files?

5. PokiX
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2019

PokiX , Jan 1, 2019 :

Mr_Cyrox

Ok...
    If I don't modify system does my recovery get replaced by OOS or any future incremental/full ROM files?​

These are two different things.
    It's not anymore needed to modify system and keeping the filesystem original will help for OTA and going undetected for stuffs like safety net. Magisk creates overlays on top of the real filesystem without actually touching it.
    When TWRP closes, TWRP patches the mechanism in Android boot process which reverts to default recovery (copy embedded in the rom). This removal is itself stored in an overlay I think, again leaving the system untouched.
    Magisk also disables verity mechanism by patching fstab files in the ramdisk in boot image. Otherwise the kernel would revert any modifications before presented to apps.
    I am far from an expert but these are a few key concepts.

That's why one always need to have a "noverity" mechanism installed before closing TWRP otherwise TWRP is wiped at next boot.
    The simplest method being noverityv4.zip which simply patches fstabs.

6. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Jan 1, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Thanks for the info
    Do I have to manually uninstall magisk before updating?
    And I have to flash TWRP again using a PC?

praksvarma likes this.
  7. PokiX
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2019

PokiX , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Yes otherwise incremental OTA will fail. With magisk uninstaller.
    I flash with a PC cause I like to control things myself (and fastboot and adb tools are rather powerfull). But I think you can do it with TWRP manager but I haven't done it. It needs root I guess.
    In the end it can be tricky to get the steps order right XD. And there's actually very few documentation on the whole boot process explained and associated security measures.

8. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Jan 1, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Well can't I just use full ROM zip files and not have to uninstall magisk?

9. PokiX
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2019

PokiX , Jan 1, 2019 :
    Mr_Cyrox

Well can't I just use full ROM zip files and not have to uninstall magisk?

That's how I do:
    Flash stock recovery.
    Then adb flash full zip.
    Flash TWRP and Magisk

That's the safest way. TWRP is now stable but got problems years ago with TWRP so I use this conservative way. It will never fail.. and not really longer.

Magisk uninstaller is only required because for incremental update, original boot checksum mismatches.

For full zip, by manually flashing it, sure there is no need to do this.
    If the zip is applied from OS it will flash some parts from recovery which might be incompatible or have checks in the update scripts (for safety measures), not sure exactly but I can confirm it will fail XD

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019

10. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Jan 1, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Jan 1, 2019 :
    I don't trust ADB and don't use it if I can avoid it...
    My ADB was bugging out when I needed to push an OS to my "bricked" device a year ago...
    Not sure about today but I may give it a shot again...
    Just updating didn't thought will be a problem...

11. simar139
    Eclair Jan 2, 2019

simar139 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    Ever since i updated to pie (beta update) Bluetooth connectivity is going haywire. The sound over Bluetooth headphones is so muffled. And I'm using oneplus wireless bullets, so there should ideally be perfect connectivity. But it disconnects every now and then, and the muffled sound is barely enough to listen to in a quite room, let alone in metro or traffic or office.

12. HadiAvy
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2019

13. sanketmistry
    Gingerbread Jan 2, 2019

sanketmistry , Jan 2, 2019 :
    Hello Everybody,

Is anyone getting any issue with some apps not able to connect to internet after connecting to WiFi? It works fine if on VPN. But due to this can't cast anything on my TV...

If the issue is resolved please let me know how to get this resolved.

Awaiting reply.

Thanks in advance.

Sanket

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

PrismereKnight likes this.
  14. Abhig11
    Donut Jan 2, 2019

Abhig11 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    1546414326371.jpg
    Battery usage is 22% but its consuming 10% extra .. its happening after beta 24.. please resolve this issue.

RoyxD4 likes this.
  15. Jillala_Sravan
    Gingerbread Jan 2, 2019

16. g_tur92
    Froyo Jan 2, 2019

g_tur92 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    [OP 5T] I still can not see the Bluetooth icon on the status bar when I turn it on and the Night mode is not working well either. The latter was an issue that also appeared on OB 20 but seemed to be solved on OP21.

17. marat55
    Eclair Jan 2, 2019

marat55 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    why it does not improve the camera and the quality of photos and videos, and when there will be HDR + how to add a screen recording in this form when the sound is erased

MAKE IT TILL

18. marat55
    Eclair Jan 2, 2019

marat55 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    When will the phone be turned off when it is turned off
    the password is so debt to do yet that there is no setting for blurring the background MAKE IT TILL

19. marat55
    Eclair Jan 2, 2019

marat55 , Jan 2, 2019 :
    why so little in the improvement of sound choice in Bete 20 was more and that you are all cleaning downs

MAKE IT TILL

20. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Jan 2, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Jan 2, 2019 :
    What's with the "MAKE IT TILL" in your posts?
    This is a useful page: forums.oneplus.com/feedback