OxygenOS Open Beta 7 for the OnePlus 5

1. ŠtapniMikser
    Froyo Mar 28, 2018

ŠtapniMikser , Mar 28, 2018 :
    By seeing the last "beta" release, I feel the need to give a word or two.
    This is not a love nor hate thread. Just some facts that are, well, facts.

With lots of known bugs, we get "recents" in app drawer, and new icons.
    Lots of bluetooth stability complaints, minor "hiccups" in system, some still experience "no notification tone" bugs, audio lag in video playback, there is a "night mode" bug in which it doesn't turn off in the morning, or turn on automatically, that annoying "Android system" notification in Ambient display, not to mention the "Alert slider" that people really want to personalise a bit more, Wi-Fi issues, and whatnot being constantly talked about on the forum. Even in the "Bug reports" section.
    The biggest issue (at least for me) is the google assistant. While the phone is locked, you can't trigger the "Ok google" command. Terible experience while driving a car or riding a bike, which worked fine before Oreo. Updates are comming, they ain't fixing it.
    We get new icons.
    We even got the "Face unlock" nobody uses because it drains the battery like crazy.
    My point is not that Oneplus 5 is not a bad device (neither the best). It's a decent phone. Quite good actually.
    But, with the given hardware, and the OS that is (kinda) half-baked, developers should really be eager to squash the bugs.
    I supose there are more than enough people that checked "Join user experience program" on their phones, so there is a lot of data to use for that sake.
    The very excuse the company is using "We're a small company" was okay when they just started with the Oneplus One.
    The company expanded, and I refuse to believe that such a company can use such an excuse.
    Oreo came out with way too much bugs. Just to please the users and to give them "that Oreo experience".
    Big or small, Oneplus is still a company. If you want to run the company, and if you say you're listening to the end-user, then please do.

People switched from iPhone to Android just for that reason (even tho it's a extreme example since Apple never listened to consumers; Apple told the consumer what the consumer wants).

This thread is placed in off-topic for the reason of discussion.
    And try not to post comments such as "Use a different ROM then", "Get a different phone", and so on.
    It's a discussion. My personal opinion may differ from yours.

2. F_Sagar_Saywankar_uFNg
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2018

F_Sagar_Saywankar_uFNg , Mar 28, 2018 :
    every point you have written makes sense.
    after buying oneplus 3T i found myself on a path to become a fan of oneplus, so i bought oneplus 5 too but in both cases i suffered some similar problems, which of them were very professionally ignored by oneplus.
    Camera, they just provice you one of the better camera experience when u take a oneplus phone out of the box for first time, after couple of updates the pics from same camera looks so dull and unattractive.
    similarly Os stabality have issues which are fixed by update just to inject other new issues in our device.
    i am still a fan of oneplus and will or may surely buy upcoming model if it pleases me but this experience of mine with two devices on same OEM can force me not to stick with them if they continue to make same mistakes just to make people buy their new device.

AKPatnaik and ŠtapniMikser like this.
  3. dying_osiris
    Honeycomb Mar 28, 2018

dying_osiris , Mar 28, 2018 :
    now all we need is a fix for the camera has gotten worse with every update. it's surprising that op3/3t got so many improvements with camera along the way but op5/5t hardly gets any fix. also needed is the mode for the alert toggle customization

4. Nick 59
    Marshmallow Mar 28, 2018

Nick 59 , Mar 28, 2018 :
    You are unhappy with the beta? Move back to the stable stream if you have tired of collecting logs and submitting bug reports.
    Beta program is a way to test OS components before they are released to stable stream and when signing up to beta you do not start new threads for your issues, you discuss them in the beta thread here:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-open-beta-7-for-the-oneplus-5.812658/

Hydra Bob and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  5. ŠtapniMikser
    Froyo Mar 28, 2018

Exactly. Even tho, with the Pro mode, I can get something out of the photos. They do look nice (sometimes). But the overall experience is not what I should have for the pricetag given.
    You're missing the big picture. I don't use the beta release, I'm on stable builds. But I check every so often what did they do in the beta release.
    If you do keep track of what they do, they just spend time adding pointless features like stated above. Fixing the real bugs is mostly avoided.
    As a developer myself, I know that adding more and more features is a way to keep the user away from the main problem (at least for a while, but in the meantime, the bugs are being fixed and fixed are being pushed to the user).
    This is not the case. Not a single word is given about well known bugs.

6. F_Sagar_Saywankar_uFNg
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2018

F_Sagar_Saywankar_uFNg , Mar 28, 2018 :
    the device is much more capable than it is right now, if they want to , they can still provide a update to fix every issue, but to make idiots of the community happy, they add useless features like face unlock and useless UI changes. i ll always appretiate oneplus for providing best hardward in lowest price possible but in same way as a owner i have a right to express the anger if they provide worst os experiance.
    What is Next?
    all the issues faced by oneplus 3/3T, 5/5T will be noted down and will be fixed for initial built of oneplus 6 and the future of oneplus 6 will be same as 3,3T, 5, 5T. and this will continue forever.

7. Nick 59
    Marshmallow Mar 28, 2018

Nick 59 , Mar 28, 2018 :
    Which of the features do you consider pointless?
    Every stable release has some bug fixes and, as a developer, you will know that it can take longer than expected to resolve some issues completely.

Bugs are still to be expected in betas and that is why you should really be discussing this here:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-open-beta-7-for-the-oneplus-5.812658/

Hydra Bob likes this.
  8. SAJANSAYAN
    Froyo Mar 28, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT and ₹@/€$#w@₹ like this.
  9. Himanshu0000608
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 28, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  10. Gian P.
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2018

Gian P. , Mar 28, 2018 :
    I notice that Launcher is tighter then previous beta. idl this so much.. did anybody notice this?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 28, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 28, 2018 :
    on my 3t, face unlock works superfast and doesn't drain battery.

Google Assistant not activating when display is off is to save battery. same like face Id on iPhone. do you want your phone to be constantly listening to you?

12. ŠtapniMikser
    Froyo Mar 28, 2018

As noted above, I'm not sure why did they implement Face unlock, since the very Smart lock (by Google) has the same feature.
    Also, UI changes (which, I can't tell that is not nice to have, but priorities).
    Launcher updates (again, changing the design of the folders, and then reverting back to the old look after the comunity was not happy about the change) are also nice to have. But not when there are more important things to fix.
    Yes, I'm aware that it takes long to sqash bugs (and that after finally squashing a bug, few more bugs appear), but in my experience, if there are high priority (or even red flag) tasks, you don't work on pointless features.
    Or I'm just a bad developer for having a sense for working on important taks, and not working on tasks that will make people happy for one week, and they'll forget about the feature pretty quickly.
    It's about the long run.

And there is no need to point me to the official beta thread to discuss, hence the staff will not look at it anyway, as much as they won't even peek at this thread. The point is to discuss and look at the big picture.

Well, to be honest, Voice activation worked pre-Oreo, and the battery seemed to be more endurand (if that's not a word, it should be).

Nick 59 likes this.
  13. ArmataReloaded
    Jelly Bean Mar 28, 2018

ArmataReloaded , Mar 28, 2018 :
    That's how software engineering is working. The smaller the beta updates the nearer the stable one.

14. ArmataReloaded
    Jelly Bean Mar 28, 2018

ArmataReloaded , Mar 28, 2018 :
    The battery is incredible since Open Beta 1.

15. SAJANSAYAN
    Froyo Mar 28, 2018

SAJANSAYAN , Mar 28, 2018 :
    right but if I'm not wrong till now we didn't receive the update of op beta 6s stable version

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  16. wolf4477
    Froyo Mar 28, 2018

wolf4477 , Mar 28, 2018 :
    Beta version never be named stables, there are 2 branches on software development, so you can take the risk and put beta version on your device or wait to the stable new version out of beta program

17. G_Mateo_DxQd
    Honeycomb Mar 28, 2018

G_Mateo_DxQd , Mar 28, 2018 :
    Great to see improvements done on the Gaming Do Not Disturb. I would if you kept improving it adding an option to prevent accidental touches on the navigation buttons from happening (ej having too long press on them, or doing multiple touches to activate them) because just disabling them completely isn't a solution for me.
    Thanks!!

For big updates the betas go adding features slowly, making it easier to develop, once they have added all the features they want to seen on the final release they finish fixing the bugs of latest beta and release it as final. Now they are doing just that with betas 6 and 7, and maybe more to come before the final 8.1 release

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018

18. Peter Starych
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2018

Peter Starych , Mar 28, 2018 :
    This is the second version where I do not have a notification on a locked screen. Does anyone have the same problem?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. neil.prasad
    Donut Mar 28, 2018

neil.prasad , Mar 28, 2018 :
    This setting is new? Connected to my car Bluetooth and a notification directed me to this settings page. I haven't seen these settings before but I might have missed them on OB6.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. neil.prasad
    Donut Mar 28, 2018