OxygenOS Screen Recorder #PMChallenge

1. Rishi Kumar P S Donut Feb 7, 2019

Rishi Kumar P S, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Annotation 2019-02-07 235817.jpg

This is a simple screen recorder built into the OxygenOS for the purpose of screen recording. It can be easily accessed by clicking on the quick settings toggle shortcut.

Who are the users?
    Anyone who wants to record the screen for teaching someone about how to use the phone like for example a youth teaching his grandparents to send a text. It can be a gamer who would like to capture the screen recording to share his gameplay on game streaming sites or YouTube. It can be for presentations and many more applications.

What is the proposed function?
    The function of this utility is to record the screen when its triggered and save it in memory for use as a video file. Features like game streaming can also be added in the OxygenOS Gaming mode which can give it additional functionality and a picture in picture record mode with the front camera recording the face while the screen is also being recorded. They video quality also can be customised based on user requirements like resolution or framsrate, like a gamer could use a smooth 60fps recording but other might not need that and can reduce it to get smaller file size. The huge amount of RAM on OnePlus devices can be put to good use for this feature. Long pressing the screen record toggle shown in Fig 1 could take the user to the respective settings page for all these customisations and this page can be placed under utilities or gaming mode settings section on OxygenOS.

What is the user value?
    This feature can add value to the OxygenOS and the motto of OnePlus to "Never Settle" as this could end up being a groundbreaking feature as it will be implimented in system level that can efficiently capture the screen on the go without any additional applications in an optimised way without tampering with the fast performance of the device.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Yes, there are applications available to achieve similar functionality but none can stream the screen capture on any streaming service and neither are they efficient, they sometimes are buggy or intrusive and can harm the performance of the device too. Apple has a screen recorder built into the iPhone as well so OnePlus can make this happen on a new scale on the Android world.

Does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    What will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    This feature doesn't need a lot of UI/UX design as it can be triggered by the already existing quick settings pull-down UI of Android which exists in OxygenOS and can be triggered from anywhere. It is not intrusive or cumbersome to implement it in UI/UX flow design, it's fast and efficient and a similar but limited implementation exists in iOS.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

2. TECHrestart_channel Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

Rishi Kumar P S likes this.
  3. Rishi Kumar P S Donut Feb 7, 2019

Exactly. But game streaming isn't the only intended purpose.

4. W1536586562687 Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

W1536586562687, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Could also have an option for activation through gestures, like the three fingered swipe for screenshot

Rishi Kumar P S likes this.
  5. Rishi Kumar P S Donut Feb 7, 2019

Yeah it could but I don't think people would use it so frequently. But that could cool, maybe if people request that, it can be added in a future update by OnePlus

santosh45 and W1536586562687 like this.
  6. Aquib1999 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2019

Aquib1999, Feb 23, 2019 :
    with system sounds
    System sound + mic
    Capabilities.
    To record gameplay or live stream
    Because OnePlus is best for Mobile gaming
    And as of now i use mobizen to record screen and gameplays but sadly there is no system sound .
    But my mobile gaming community have
    Samsung
    iPhone
    Xiaomi
    Honor
    Blackshark
    Rog phone
    Ipad
    They all record gameplay with system sound
    I hope OnePlus gonna add this feature ASAP
    BECAUSE IT'S HIGH TIME TO IMPLEMENT THIS FEATURE AS MOBILE GAMING IS ON FIRE
    AND PEOPLE LOVE TO WATCH GAMEPLAYS AND LIVE STREAMS ON YOUTUBE

G_Sathesh_Kumar_RMlf likes this.
  7. Aquib1999 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2019

Aquib1999, Feb 23, 2019 :
    I have a request plz add screen recorder with internal audio in oxygen os bcz We love to game on this beast and record gameplay
    But No app on playstore allow to record screen with internal audio
    I mean these are the basic feature for a perfect smartphone
    They must allow to record internal sound atleast for games
    After all this is 2019
    people love to watch Android gameplay or live stream on YouTube , like pubg gameplay even ASPHALT 9 and fortnite
    (Many of my friend switched to iPhone, Samsung or xiaomi so they can live stream or share GAMEPLAY videos with system sound)
    And I'm still hoping that Oneplus gonna add this in oxygen os
    Because as of now we can't do this even after root

8. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 23, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 23, 2019 :
    I'm surprised you have any time to actually play games in between spamming this all over the forum.

Rishi Kumar P S and alessiodales like this.