OxygenOS - the community edition

1. NobodyE
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2015

NobodyE , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Hey guys,

We have a great community here. So I am quite sure that there are some fellow software developers, theme designers, creative guys etc. around here who would love to contribute to OxygenOS. OP is about community and transparency, so I don't see any major obstacles here. Like a typical software project we could have a main branch maintained by the OxygenOS team and based on that the community could develop on own branches (e.g. working on a specific feature, a modded camera, kernel tweaks, etc.) After some thorough testing, the OxygenOS team then could decide if they pull in the new community features in or not. This way we could build a great OS experience - together!

I see some nice potential here. What do you guys think? Anyone with me? I would be in. ;)

Cheers,

Nobody :cool:

2. akvijendra
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

3. royz0r
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2015

4. Deactivated User
    Jul 9, 2015

5. Param Kharoud
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Jul 9, 2015

6. brittonraya
    Lollipop Jul 9, 2015

7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 9, 2015

dsmonteiro , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Well, since Oxygen is very much close to stock AOSP and all the added features wouldn't be open source, what you are asking is very easy... Use AOSP source code and OxygenOS' kernel source code and start from there.

8. NobodyE

NobodyE , Jul 9, 2015 :
    The OP-specific parts are closed, yes. OP must decide if they would like to open it to the public or not. Even if not, they still could offer version control that the community would build upon.

9. NobodyE

NobodyE , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Exactly! :)

10. Slyther1

Slyther1 , Jul 9, 2015 :
    @Carl @Helen thoughts?

Aaahh likes this.
  11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 9, 2015

dsmonteiro , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Then you can start, since both are available already. :p

NobodyE likes this.
  12. Deactivated User
    Jul 9, 2015

Takendown likes this.
  13. KforHorizon
    KitKat Jul 9, 2015

KforHorizon , Jul 9, 2015 :
    What you are talking about is an aosp based custom rom lile BrokenOS or XenonHD! You already have it brought to you by the modding community! :)

14. deoliveiranv
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

15. lutti
    KitKat Jul 9, 2015

lutti , Jul 9, 2015 :
    It's a nice idea but i'm sure it will be a lot of work to check the code and everything at their end and to implement it into their software. Not to talk about the legal stuff it all might include. So nice idea but i'm not sure if it's possible to impliment.

16. NobodyE

NobodyE , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Sure, there tons of custom ROMS, but if you flash them, there's no OxygenOS anymore, right? ;) It's about building on OxygenOS and extending it - with stuff the community really wishes for and maybe is even willing to contribute for.

deoliveiranv and Kogami like this.
  17. KforHorizon
    KitKat Jul 9, 2015

KforHorizon , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Uhh why contribute on making the same thing and changing it's name? :rolleyes:

18. NobodyE

NobodyE , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Yeah, you have some points there. However, if we look at the way Linux evolved as a community effort, I think it's not that infeasible. The Linux people had also deal with endless code reviews, licences, legal stuff, and so on. Linux still lives and thrives ;).

19. B4kken
    Lollipop Jul 9, 2015

B4kken , Jul 9, 2015 :
    BrokenOS seems great, I'm running it since last night and so far I'm very happy! But I think OP wants a OxygenOS like very light ROM made by the OnePlus community :p

Insert: I think this is a great idea, but I also think others have tried to launch similar ideas without much of a result.

I can't do these kind of things, so I'll just leave it up to the people who can to judge and decide what to do with their time. Me, I'll try Oxygen again once the new update (Past OnePlus Two release) is released. If it tickles my fancy.

KforHorizon likes this.
  20. lutti
    KitKat Jul 9, 2015

lutti , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Well if they sell it it's a different story. OnePlus is making money with One (and soon Two as well i'm afraid) so i think that might be the thing making the difference.