Display Partial Display Failure

1. G_Christoph_Michelbach_k
    Cupcake Aug 4, 2018

G_Christoph_Michelbach_k , Aug 4, 2018 :
    The lower 1.5 to 2 cm of the screen of my OnePlus 3 failed:

[​IMG]
    (The white part in the middle is just censored information. The problem only exists in the bottom.)

When I power my phone completely off,the part in the bottom is black and slowly turns green (but not uniformly green). There also is a colorful (now mostly white) line originating from the right side of the screen between the failed part of the screen and the part that works normally.

When I turn the display off, the failed part stays on a bit longer than the rest. When I turn it on again, it's green from the beginning if it has only been off for a few seconds. If it has been off for longer, it starts from being black. Probably just the same as if I turn it off completely because I waited before powering it up again.

Touch works normally anywhere on the screen. The buttons below the screen (return, home, app list) work normally too.

Is this a loose connection? Should I buy and install a new screen? How do I solve this problem?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018

2. PTuT
    Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2018

PTuT , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Did you drop it or anything else that could lead to this (water damage)? There is nothing to loose to open it and re-seat the flexible cables from the display assembly (backup you precious data before that). There are videos showing how to disassemble/assemble it.

However, there is also hidden engineering menu that has some testing options, but your display is bad from staring the device so it may not prove as helpful in your case. Good luck.

3. G_Christoph_Michelbach_k
    Cupcake Aug 4, 2018

G_Christoph_Michelbach_k , Aug 4, 2018 :
    I didn't do anything to it. I was actually backing up my data while it charged and I didn't touch it. Opened it while you were answering. The water damage indicator was still white. There was a different problem with the volume bar, that's why I opened it.

Afterwards, the screen was kind of popped out. So I thought I may a well pry it a bit open to check the connection you mentioned. While doing so, I cracked the screen. Now the bottom half neither shows stuff nor responds to touch input. Therefore, I can't unlock my phone anymore. I think I'll have to buy a new one.

4. PTuT
    Jelly Bean Aug 5, 2018

PTuT , Aug 5, 2018 :
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck with replacement.