Password required for additional security - but it does not exist!

1. F_Mark_Read_Fmik
    Eclair Dec 2, 2018

F_Mark_Read_Fmik , Dec 2, 2018 :
    I had to facrory reset my one plus 5 recently. Ever since I am periodically asked for 'password required for additional security', it won't accept my pattern, face unlock never worked anyway.

I don't have a password! The password I set up was a pattern,, not a password.

So it wiped itself after 5 attempts of me guessing a password I knew or strongly suspected didn't exist.

When I set the phone up again after this I tried to ensure I set an actual alphanumeric password, but after I set up pattern unlock, the option was not available to me.

And now its happened again! I know for sure no password exists this time, and it's going to wipe itself again!

How can I resolve this, as the phone is basically unusable if its going to do this every few days. It never happened in the 18 months previously to factory reset the first time, so it must be a setting or something I had turned off.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

2. Deactivated User
    Dec 2, 2018

3. borft
    Jelly Bean Dec 2, 2018

borft , Dec 2, 2018 :
    asking your question in the right section may also help....

manuplus22 likes this.
  4. F_Mark_Read_Fmik
    Eclair Dec 2, 2018

I've never come on here before and it wasn't easy to navigate. What's the right section please?
    Oh I see what I've done, see below.

5. F_Mark_Read_Fmik
    Eclair Dec 2, 2018

I typo'd one plus 6 but my phone is actually one plus 5, so is this the right section then?

6. borft
    Jelly Bean Dec 2, 2018

borft , Dec 2, 2018 :
    the one that doesn't say OnePlus 5/5t at the top ;) there's a section per device type

7. F_Mark_Read_Fmik
    Eclair Dec 2, 2018

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand anything you said other than factory reset.

8. F_Mark_Read_Fmik
    Eclair Dec 2, 2018

Yeah I made an error in the OP, now edited

9. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Dec 2, 2018

Mr_Cyrox , Dec 2, 2018 :
    ???
    I never had that happen to me with incorrect guesses...

Do you have samething like work account?
    I have heard samething like that doesn't allow patterns as an unlock option...

Imdbadguy likes this.
  10. Imdbadguy
    Honeycomb Dec 2, 2018

Imdbadguy , Dec 2, 2018 :
    True, That looks like the only case

11. F_Mark_Read_Fmik
    Eclair Dec 3, 2018

F_Mark_Read_Fmik , Dec 3, 2018 :
    I don't know guys, this was only a few days after the first factory reset so I hadn't added many accounts to it. I did add a work email but that wasn't to the phone, only to an app.

I now have set up an alphanumeric password and it occasionally asks me for it, which is OK because I have one. But this means I can't use pattern unlock, because when it should have been asking me for my pattern unlock, it only asked for the alphanumeric password (which didn't yet exist) and gave no option to switch password input method. Even face unlock wasn't present..

Its a pretty terrible bug. if I hadn't already backed everything up for the initial reset I'd have been absolutely furious, instead of pretty annoyed at the repeated inconvenience..

12. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2018

Waveform Modifier , Dec 3, 2018 :
    If you think it's a bug. Go here.