Paypal and Bank Account Multiple Charges

1. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

sunset013 , May 31, 2018 :
    I tried to purchase the OnePlus6 using Paypal, with a debit card tied to my checking account, which is my primary method of payment, and never had an issue in 10+ years. I tried to buy the phone several times and kept getting looped back from Paypal to OnePlus repeatedly. I finally chose to use my 'savings bank account' within Paypal and the purchase went through instantly. Immediately, I received a call from the Fraud Department asking if I made the purchase 3 times and that a 'hold' has been placed on my debit card. An hour later after being transferred to 2 departments, I've been able to confirm that the payments were declined using debit via Paypal and the 'hold' has been lifted. My bank does not yet show a debit from my savings for the purchase in which I received confirmation from both Paypal and OnePlus. Please be sure to double check that you are not charged more than once for your purchase if experiencing the same problem I had.

Link for $20 coupon toward accessories now that purchase is completed. https://www.oneplus.com/invite#E6MH99VW43S2WDD

Last edited: May 31, 2018

2. izzykasha
    Lollipop May 31, 2018

G_plusone and sunset013 like this.
  3. Dark_Matrix_Guru
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru , May 31, 2018 :
    are you sure you do not have some sort of malware on the phone or computer that you made your purchase from? you could have gotten redirected to a fake PayPal login account

sunset013 likes this.
  4. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

izzykasha likes this.
  5. Hungtruong
    Eclair May 31, 2018

sunset013 likes this.
  6. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

I made purchase via computer and made other purchases this week without incident using the same debit card tied to Paypal. I didn't open any new tabs/windows and it took the 2nd bank account info just fine. The Fraud Dept was not able to give me a reason but the last 3 transactions were identical ($588.95). The local bank was unable to determine why it would not accept the debit card but would accept my savings account number, both accounts with same bank and tied to Paypal for years with many out of country purchases.

7. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

I purchased it here on the secure OnePlus site.

8. chistery
    Honeycomb May 31, 2018

chistery , May 31, 2018 :
    It wasn't multiple charges, it was multiple holds.

You placed multiple orders, each resulted in a new pre-auth, so all fairly normal by the sounds of it. The order doesn't go through as it fails somewhere, and the hold gets released in a few days.

OnePlus can't do launches, we know that. Every time they get it wrong and there's multiple issues like this.

9. Dark_Matrix_Guru
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru , May 31, 2018 :
    it sounds to me like the transactions had went through even though you were pushed back to the OnePlus website each time. Sometimes mistakes like this happen I wouldn't believe OnePlus nor PayPal would have intentionally tried to make multiple transactions.

sunset013 likes this.
  10. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

I agree David and do not think anything was intentional in order to wipe out my account though the Fraud Department lady said she's seen it happen many times. I'm glad they called to verify whether or not I made the nearly $600 purchase 3 times on one account and she declined the charges after I told her I received confirmation emails from both Paypal and OnePlus for my other bank account (which has much less money in comparison to 1st account).

Dark_Matrix_Guru likes this.
  11. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

Unfortunately, it was multiple charges, 3 in fact on the debit card, and the final one on my savings account, all tied to Paypal. The Fraud Department declined the 3 charges on my behalf.

12. chistery
    Honeycomb May 31, 2018

chistery , May 31, 2018 :
    It would be a pre-auth and it would then take a few days to appear as a settled transaction, by which time your fraud dept had cancelled them. You placed the multiple orders which attempted to take the money from your accounts

13. sunset013
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

Debit Cards are immediate debits from my account. I was an executive officer in banking for many years and my daughter currently works at this small local bank. I understand that not all banks work the same. The Fraud Dept called me as this was unusual activity. Living in a small rural town with a member owned bank has its own perks. You are correct in that the deduction from my savings, because I did not use its debit card, and used the account #, will not appear for several days as a completed transaction. It will most likely show tomorrow as a pending transaction.