People can't hear me when I call them via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. Yking2089
    Froyo Apr 16, 2021

Yking2089 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 16, 2021 :
    This has been happening consistently about every day or every other day when I make a phone call people in the other side of the line cannot hear me. Also when people are calling me they are saying it's going straight to voicemail as if my phone was off with no signal when I have full bars. I am able to hear them but they can't hear m.e I have to restart my phone in order for it to work. I'm on the T-Mobile network and I haven't had this problem with my previous OnePlus 7 pro. This is on the OnePlus 9 pro morning mist.

Shaker1973 and FlyErik like this.
  2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 16, 2021

Yking2089 likes this.
  3. JustSettled
    Eclair Apr 16, 2021

Yking2089 likes this.
  4. Mnstr3nrgy89
    Eclair Apr 17, 2021

Mnstr3nrgy89 , Apr 17, 2021 :
    Problem with reporting it, is that because it's a phone call, first priority is usually getting that call to work properly. Which for me as well, means restarting the phone. From past experiences with customer service, (not OnePlus, but lots of other companies) if the problem isn't happening anymore, then what can they really do to troubleshoot. Recently I had an issue with my internet service provider, where my internet would randomly stop working. Because I work from home, priority was getting internet back up, then calling tech support and explaining the problem. Yeah there is a way that 100% of the time resolves the problem, but the fact that the problem keeps reoccurring is a problem its self.
    Especially when the first step is to restart the device. Like OK, it's working now, but how do we prevent it from happening again?
    Vicious circle that doesn't even seem like it's worth the effort to even try anymore.
    FYI, I'm on Metro by T-MOBILE and so far that I've noticed it wouldn't be on VoWiFi since it's only happened while away from home. Then again I only make calls from my phone at home maybe once or twice every few days. So no much testing has been done.

Shaker1973 and Yking2089 like this.
  5. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 17, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 17, 2021 :
    Catching logs for some stuff can be tricky. Previously spent like 450h in total on log collecting on a other bug once but all in vain since the bug did not happen then. Only to eventually find a 5 minute way to trigger it 😜 So that bug luckily got resolved 😁
    Been working on a other bug myself... Many reports, video proof, screenshots. But no real proof in logs. Can happen randomly at any time from right after a reboot or several days later.
    But I still hope to find a solution together with the bughunters.

The good thing about the logs they ask of you after you done the basic report of the issue via the feedback tool it is that there is no time limit. You can start it and keep it on until it happens. Then you just need to snap a screenshot when it happens and reboot to get it working. The logging starts up again after the reboot and you can stop the logs when you have finished the call. So it's not forced to stop it and wait for the logs to finish before making the call again.
    How about toggle air plane mode on and off? Does that solve anything?

Mnstr3nrgy89 and Yking2089 like this.
  6. Yking2089
    Froyo Apr 17, 2021

Yking2089 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 17, 2021 :
    This is very true

Mnstr3nrgy89 likes this.
  7. Mnstr3nrgy89
    Eclair Apr 17, 2021

Mnstr3nrgy89 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 17, 2021 :
    Haven't tried toggling airplane mode. Since I never use it I removed it from quick settings. I'll add it back and try next time it happens.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  8. Mnstr3nrgy89
    Eclair Apr 17, 2021

Like I mentioned though, I haven't experienced this with OnePlus, so I don't know if they will be just like everyone else or not. Then again, I haven't submitted any tickets to them to have any experiences.
    Very soon I am going to though. One for the call issue and one for PS4 controllers don't work like they do on every other android phone I have.

9. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 17, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 17, 2021 :
    Sure beats rebooting 😉
    I had some strange network issues that rendered my 7 Pro shut down all mobile and WiFi data. Toggle any of them on/off or air plane mode solved it. It only happened at work when walking pass several hotspots and kind of an spotty and unstable mobile network.
    I did one of those logs after an initial report. And the issue was resolved.

Mnstr3nrgy89 likes this.
  10. Mnstr3nrgy89
    Eclair Apr 17, 2021

I have a oneplus 2 that does that all the time. Except toggling them off and then on or toggling airplane mode doesn't work. It has to be rebooted. I haven't had any oneplus phones since then so it's interesting to hear that the problem continued past that device.
    Luckily so far it's only been the other person who can't hear me and no issues with everything else.
    Except WiFi can be a little aggressive sometimes connecting to the best network. I definitely notice when it switches. Primarily because as soon as it switches, it's like oh wait, the other connection was better and then switches back. I've been to lazy to change the setting for that. Think I'll do that now though.

11. th3Joker21
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2021

th3Joker21 , Dec 16, 2021 :
    I have this same issue. It had happened before but I blamed it on the other person's phone. Yesterday it happened twice which I thought was weird so I restarted and the problem was gone. I always have my phone on VoWiFi so not sure if it only happens on that setting.

And I am also on T-Mobile and had a 7 Pro and this problem never happened on that phone.

FlyErik likes this.
  12. FlyErik
    Froyo Dec 19, 2021

FlyErik , Dec 19, 2021 :
    Brand new 9 Pro user here and I've also had that issue since I got the phone about a week ago. First time it was that the automated line I called wasn't picking up my tones when I made a menu selection to reach the right department. I tried 3 times and gave up.
    It has since happened with several family members - they can't hear me when I call them, and I can hear them. They say hello several times then hang up. Today it happened again and when the person I'd called tried calling me back, it went to voicemail and never rang on my end - twice!
    Has anyone figured out what's wrong??? I'm very disappointed in OnePlus and would like to find out that it's not just bad software (or hardware) on their part!

Shaker1973 and benzvi like this.
  13. G_Jochen_van_der_Muehlen
    Cupcake Dec 22, 2021

G_Jochen_van_der_Muehlen , Dec 22, 2021 :
    Same issue here. People can't hear me or voice is garbled / cutting out. Opened a support request but all they do is asking to reset the phone to factory. It was set to factory when I got it so why would I go through that ordeal of backing up everything and starting from scratch again.
    Found an article online where somebody recommended disabling microphone access for apps from Google. Did that and it fixed the issue for exactly one call and then it crapped out again. Not happy having bought a $1200 paper weight.

T1625059444727, Shaker1973 and benzvi like this.
  14. FlyErik
    Froyo Jan 17, 2022

FlyErik , Jan 17, 2022 :
    UPDATE: NO DROPPED CALLS or issues since I got a new 5G compatible SIM card from T-Mobile! Highly recommend updating your SIM if at all possible. It solved the problems for me. Thanks!

Swejuggalo likes this.

16. KrazyOnePlusUser
    Donut Feb 8, 2022

KrazyOnePlusUser , Feb 8, 2022 :
    Glad I'm not the only one I just traded up from a 80 to the 9 pro and I've regretted it ever since I don't think it's even an upgrade I think the 80 was a better phone in my opinion. I've had nothing but problems with the 9 pro with bugs and one of the major ones is half the time people call me it cuts out to where I can't hear them or they can't hear me and like everyone else the only thing that fixes it is rebooting the phone it's very annoying. This will be my last OnePlus phone I can tell you that they used to be flagship killers at a decent price now there is expensive as a flagship phone first chance I get I'll be going back to a Samsung but in the meantime I'm stuck with this 9 pro that T-Mobile convince me to upgrade to that I wish I could get out from under and having all these stupid calling issues, I have Wi-Fi calling completely disabled so it has nothing to do with that it's just something that gets screwed up with incoming calls.

benzvi likes this.
  17. benzvi
    Cupcake Mar 25, 2022

benzvi , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Mar 25, 2022 :
    I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

18. Shaker1973
    Cupcake May 7, 2022

19. Mnstr3nrgy89 , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , May 7, 2022 :
    Wow, I been part of this thread since before I decided to get the OP9Pro.
    Well since then, I've had numerous encounters with OnePlus Customer Service, and it is so terrible that I don't even want to contact them if I have an issue. Because I'm about 95% sure that not only will the problem not be resolved, but I will have wasted hours to get nowhere. Also, if your issue has to be "escalated", and that higher up tier team will be in contact with you within 48 hours, then here is a spoiler. Your Likely To Not Only Will Be Contacted Within 48 Hours, but You'll Probably Never Be Contacted.