People love exclusivity, uniqueness...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Mar 13, 2018 :
    according to a research, a person's happiness in influenced as follows:

1. money - 10%
    2. living with people they love (or loved) - 40%
    3. doing what they like to do - 40%
    4. miscellaneous - 10%

despite the fact that each individual is different, we can draw some generalized conclusions.

people like exclusivity, uniqueness and are prepared to pay a premium.

Apple, as a company and a brand, targets only a small % of the market, and wants to provide them with a unique experience.

people in this forum who ask for a music app, screen recorder, etc are not fools (hopefully). they are aware there is Google Play Store with many alternatives. yet they want OnePlus apps. two reasons:

1. unique experience
    2. expectation that the stock apps will be better optimised and integrated with the OS.

Android450 and GopalB. like this.
  2. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018

Ash645, Mar 13, 2018 :
    But that uniqueness is lost since OP shares the same parent company as Oppo, manufacturing plants etc.

So their design language remains the same, and if Oppo introduces the notch (which they did, pitiful), OP will too.

And the apps, they did have their own sets of apps, including music apps, but that's the only place it is being stock. if they include all the OnePlus apps, it translates into bloatware in the Android world.

And we all know the companies that includes bloats ;)

So my point is, op should stay the way they are, OS wise at least, and the only thing they need to change is the design language. There is nothing unique about OnePlus phones, collectively, except the OPO and OP X.

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

I agree with you for the most part.

and 'bloat' isn't being interpreted correctly by many. if I want something but you don't, it is bloat for you, not for everyone else. requirements vary from person to person.

some things cannot be done using an app. for example, one handed operation, video calling support within dialer, etc. there are people who would want these features, and OnePlus phones aren't cheap any more. when they pay a big price, they expect such features to be inbuilt, more so because they are available on much cheaper devices in the market.

not finding these is indeed disappointing for them. we can't brush them aside as bloat and ignore the requirements.

what we can instead do, as a company, is to make these apps/ features available at our disposal, but as disposable. in other words, not as system apps but as user apps that can be uninstalled.

so those who want the 'unique' experience, can continue using them for whatever they are worth.

Praty_28, A_D_A_M, G_plusone and 2 others like this.
  4. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018

Ash645, Mar 13, 2018 :
    Hmm, but isn't including an app slapped with the OnePlus logo which does the same thing that other apps in the store do called as bloat?

for example, one hand mode by xda Dev Mishaal Rahman is a great app in itself. Almost all apps for most of the functionality are available in the play store or xda labs or f-droid.

why dedicate devs time into crating something that is already available is my question, with the development manpower they currently have, releasing the updated OS versions should be their too priority, no?

Best way is to make it all Google. Remove everything except maybe the switch. They can all be user uninstall-able.Sort of like gapps but baked in with the rom in the user partition.

5. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018

Ash645, Mar 13, 2018 :
    Oh, and for the" cheap" part, op phones are definitely not cheap, other "flagships" made it look like so.

But instead of software (which they already have a steady direction in), provide better hardware like camera? water resistance? Better and bigger battery? better design and feel? I mean, the LG v30 is almost in the same price range and what it offers on the hardware side is much better, don't you think?

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

'bloat' is so called because it cannot be uninstalled or removed. the app or feature in itself isn't bloat. it is the fact that it cannot be removed that makes it 'bloat'.

with that out of the way now, most users limit themselves to the Play Store. especially those who are complaining. people like their phones to do everything out of the box. that's why most OEMs make their own apps. one of the reasons is to provide a 'unique'or different experience.

ideally, most of those apps should be available as user apps. my guess why they keep it as system apps is to prevent the novice user from uninstalling something by mistake. in addition, of course, to make them use default apps.

as OnePlus grows, and stabilizes, I wouldn't mind them allocating resources to make some unique apps for it's devices. if not as system apps, atleast as user apps available on the Play Store. at this juncture, however, as you said they are better off focusing on more important things like OS and support.

Ash645 likes this.
  7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

I didn't say OnePlus is cheap. is was when it launched, but not anymore.

Ash645 likes this.
  8. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 13, 2018

Bouncer71, Mar 13, 2018 :
    I don't see how you come to that conclusion...?

I would rather say, you could take away peoples smart phones...

as long that there's love, freedom and some money left in their lives, they'd be perfectly happy...!

that exclusive uniqueness you're taking about made me switch to Android...
    I felt like in a trap waiting for the next jailbreak...
    iOS hasn't really changed since the first iPod and iOS8 was barely usable...

what's more unique than having the ability to customize your phone individual to you're own needs or likes...?

Nick 59, Hydra Bob and Ash645 like this.
  9. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018

Ash645, Mar 13, 2018 :
    True, for example, Moto included it's apps in the user partition which was still.called as bloat :p

but yeah, the term makes sense that way.

and if op is able to dedicate a team in the near future, well and good. But I just don't see it happening at the moment.

Never said that you said it. Other phone make it look cheap. o remember flagships costing in the 40-50k range and now that zone is considered cheap. It's either 1lakh or your kidneys nowadays anyways.. XD

10. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018

Ash645, Mar 13, 2018 :
    point! +1 to that!

I totally missed that one!

If someone wants Android to "just work" out of the box, they will definitely miss it's power and versatility.

ios does that better actually.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

it is not my conclusion. it is an established fact.

less than 20% people go for rooting/ jailbreaking. in fact, much lower than 20%.

that said, smartphones are supposed to help you get work done. iOS does that better in many respects. as with homescreen customizability, that was never an iOS/ iPhone thing. yet it is the most profitable device ever made.

12. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 13, 2018

13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

people often use terms incorrectly.

sometimes interchangeably but to mean something very different.

Ash645 likes this.
  14. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018

Ash645, Mar 13, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

15. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 13, 2018

you should read your own Post...

you draw a "general conclusion"

and I'd like to know how you come up with those numbers...?

any sources...?

Android helps me more...
    in the days of iOS I spend about 400€ at the app store and 50€ on cydia to add the functionality I needed....

Android. around 50€ and I still pay to get adfree...

I don't root unless there's no more updates...

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

are you denying the fact that people don't like exclusivity and unique experiences?

It was from an article I read some time back. I'll share it with you if I find it. But do you disagree with those numbers, because they make a lot of sense to me. You can check this out:

https://study.com/academy/lesson/research-on-happiness-what-makes-people-happy.html

http://www.joyfuldays.com/what-makes-people-happy-the-top-10-list/

happinessgraph.png

IELTS_Writing_Task_1_170.png

You don't need root to experience newer Android versions.

There are amazing apps in the Apple AppStore that will get things done for you, and often better than Android.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  17. Cito.Melz Gingerbread Mar 13, 2018

Cito.Melz, Mar 13, 2018 :
    I feel they should at some point come together and detach themselves from Oppo if it's possible.

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

they don't have the scale now to operate independently and profitably at this juncture.

Cito.Melz likes this.
  19. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 13, 2018

thanks a lot for the links and charts.. .!
    interesting stuff...!!!

I'm not denying anything...

I just don't see anything unique in bulk apps...

there's a contradiction by saying:
    more stock apps would be better on one hand...
    but on the other: apps on the app store are often better...

and as I said..
    i question the conclusion...

I don't understand what peoples needs for happiness has to do with the love for exclusivity and uniqueness...

the numbers clearly concur...
    people don't need that to feel happy..

p.s.
    smartphone features are not mentioned in the surveys...

20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

what I meant is most people want everything to work out of the box. the perception is more premium the phone, more it will be able to do. and when people don't find features (available on cheaper devices) in a more premium/ expensive phone, they get turned off. apps/ features by themselves aren't a problem for anyone. it is the inability to remove them when you don't want is the actual problem.

you would have seen many threads asking why OnePlus is not making its own app like music player, screen recorder, etc. these people are well aware of the Google Play Store and the apps available there. but they believe a stock app is better (reason already given) and want something that is unique to their device. such people are quite a substantial % and you can't ignore that market.

the point was a stock app doing the exact same thing as a 3rd party app would receive greater appreciation from these people because of it being unique to their device. sure the results of the survey do not attribute a % to this aspect. nor does it directly relate to the example we are using. but there is an indirect relationship with point 3.

Bouncer71 likes this.