People love exclusivity, uniqueness...

1. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

izzykasha, Mar 13, 2018 :
    That just isn't the oneplus philosophy, they do not want to bulk out stock android with apps that quite frankly won't be coded as well as play store leaders.(they did try and failed crappy oneplus music player anyone lol)

I support this philosophy and anyone comparing apple built in apps to a phone manufacturer who effectively works off another companies OS product(Android) is just missing the point completely.

Stock OS rules I vote strongly against anything but stock infact even this OS could do with some slimming pills

wack up a poll Sock OS or stock is with badly coded additional bloat apps

we do not want all these apps using up resources on our phones thanks http://www.samsung.com/uk/apps/ (the closest example)

Hydra Bob and Nick 59 like this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Mar 13, 2018 :
    what if they had succeeded in making great apps?

it is one thing to stick to stock as a philosophy and another to stick to it because you failed to make your own good products.

unfortunately, the online customer base is a very small % of the total market, and a poll wouldn't reflect real requirements.

i like stock experience myself, but given a choice, I would always be in favour of having the option to choose what i want and what I don't. meaning make apps/ features available, but that can be removed by the user.

3. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

absolutely pointless why divert staff and coding time to creating apps that already exist in the playstore when oneplus have other issues to sort.

Are you really advocating taking away resources from stable builds/bug fixing to create silly apps that are not useful for all users.

Pointless thread

4. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 13, 2018

Bouncer71, Mar 13, 2018 :
    ah ok...
    now I get you...!
    people believe a stock app is unique, even if it has no unique features...
    and yeah, I've seen a couple of threads about that...
    I still don't get that...!?!?

but if they'd be deletable/optional would be a step forward...

you know what really would be unique features I'd like to see in a phone..
    PoWiFi charging and hardware calibration support for the screen...

8D

5. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

you are limiting your argument to OnePlus due to a limited view, which isn't the point of this thread.

why does Samsung make its own apps? why does LG/ Sony/ Huawei/ etc make their own apps?

just because OnePlus is a small company with a limited resource and has better things to do with that resource doesn't mean a need doesn't exist and that doesn't need to be addressed.

6. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

you are limiting your argument to OnePlus due to a limited view, which isn't the point of this thread.

why does Samsung make its own apps? why does LG/ Sony/ Huawei/ etc make their own apps?

just because OnePlus is a small company with a limited resource and has better things to do with that resource doesn't mean a need doesn't exist and that doesn't need to be addressed.​

read your own first post, it's tough to converse with you if you change your own point of view in the thread !!

quote from your original thread " theyare aware there is Google Play Store with many alternatives. yet they want OnePlus apps " who are they and how many of them as a percentage of the user base are there really? truth is you don't know so the demand may not even exist as a strong percentage anyway.

therefore I am discussing why that is not the right way forward, I have detailed past problems when they did create apps, then I highlighted resources are better off spent sorting out current issues rather than additional apps not need by all.

anyway you have my point of view, I don't see many of these so called oneplus app requestors here yet, let's see if they appear or more likely the demand never exists in the first place

Hydra Bob likes this.
  7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

another limited view.

them not being here doesn't mean they don't exist.

8. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

You need to collate numbers for proof that they exist in sufficient numbers to support your hypothesis.

just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean their view is limited, this is healthy discussion and now we have reached this far you need to backup your claims for "they" with actual numbers or infact this is just you?

come on get some number together some percentages of users that want bloatware that cannot be deleted even if they use it or not, get your numbers and present your case.

Hydra Bob and Bouncer71 like this.
  9. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

since you have come this far, tell me how is one supposed to give you the numbers you are asking for. firstly, I don't have any administrative access here. secondly, the community users are a minority. my hypothesis is based on the kind and number of threads we have in this community, and if I have the data, I'll present you with information in numbers and graphs.

that said, I gave you enough examples with other companies who are making their own apps, because they have the resources. just because one company doesn't have the resources, and is already busy with more important issues, doesn't negate a need that exists.

if the need didn't exist, why are these companies making their own apps? did you answer that question yet?

10. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

add them up, go through the threads give us some numbers and the apps they want or put a poll up.

without figures to back up what you are saying is just meaningless, if you want to start a post like this at least have the basics in place, threads in sufficient numbers to prove there is a "want"

otherwise without anything at all there is no reason for anyone to consider this let alone oneplus for whom it would cost money to setup.

just a poor thread basically full of you replying

11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

replying is a courtesy, so I am doing it just as this one.

numbers can come later. let's get your thought process right.

Samsung/ LG/ Sony/ Huawei/ Xiaomi/ etc. all make their own apps, when all of them have access to the Google Play Store.

can you answer why? this is probably the 3rd time I am repeating this and you are still silent.

first get your logic and thought process right, then we'll speak of numbers.

don't keep coming back with a pointless rant, as I would then stop responding (being courteous).

12. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

the reason those manufacturers have those bloat apps is a business decision.

So I reiterate again if you can prove there are significant numbers of users that want some bloat oneplus apps on their phone oneplus could then change their business decision to invest in that.

13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

yeah. a business decision. and business decisions are directed towards fulfilling a need or requirement.

14. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

yeah. a business decision. and business decisions are directed towards fulfilling a need or requirement.​

not always for Samsung and others a big part of their apps are to sell other devices they have in their range like watches/monitors/trackers TVs cameras etc more of a buy everything we make business decision which makes commercial sense for them so worth the expenditure, oneplus only make one product so this doesn't apply to them in that instance(as an example) there is little to gain for them

oneplus has made its philosophy clear, their business decision is stock OS minimal bloat, they tried a music app it was crap they have made their 'business decision's all on their own and sales are up so it's got to be compelling to make them change...........

So now, you said you would talk numbers let's get some together I have found 29 threads requesting a music app, then 5 requesting the s.ride type app.

what have you got anything else?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

15. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 13, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Mar 13, 2018 :
    Bro, you are the next @Cheetosdust :D

Cheetosdust likes this.
  16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

all companies are making apps to support watches, TVs and cameras? where do you do your reading from? and what has gallery, music, video, screen recording, etc have to do with these?

regarding OnePlus philosophy, I explained that too. and OnePlus choosing one route doesn't nullify needs. it is just their approach to direct their limited resources to more important matters on hand. and decisions change with changing circumstances.

if it is a philosophy thing, we didn't need the other apps too that come pre-installed.

don't jump into getting numbers because they would mean nothing with a flawed logic.

17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

Cheetosdust and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  18. izzykasha KitKat Mar 13, 2018

yes they make those apps as they have all those extra devices to sell branded in their names, its called the umbrella technique buy everything from one supplier under one umbrella and it all works seemlessly. e.g. Samsung phone, Samsung smart watch Samsung TV Samsung activity checker etc etc

with you comparing oneplus to those manufacturers in your original post you forget that oneplus have ONE product, one phone at a time so they don't need all those bloat apps and don't need to create apps people don't need for products they don't sell, they leave that to companies that sell those products and the play store.

so with your logic, however flawed I believe it is, what is your plan to convince oneplus to change their business decision. How will you start oneplus creating these apps you believe people want, and what's the top 5 apps you believe oneplus should create?

let's get to the nuts and bolts of it, what apps do you believe are missing on the 'out the box' experience

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2018

wrong example. Apple is the right example here. they have created their own ecosystem that is self sufficient and fulfils the needs of its customers. anyone who owns an iPhone, iMac, Apple Watch, etc. doesn't need anything beyond. Samsung devices are not limited to other devices within the same brand. but Apple devices are.

Samsung still works off Android. Yet, they are making their products feature rich so everything works right out of the box. stock Samsung apps are excellent, especially media related ones. they offer features that 3rd party apps cannot replicate easily or seamlessly. they offer their own app stores too.

the majority userbase aren't part of online communities such as this one, and aren't too tech savvy either. they just want their devices to work. allow them to do everything they want. when we buy a more expensive device, our default expectation is additive, in other words what a cheaper device has to offer Plus more. this is human psychology.

I never compared OnePlus to any company in my original post. I only said that people who are asking for stock apps for various requirements are doing so for 2 reasons. read the original post and the subsequent comments. I won't repeat here.

you are entitled to your opinion, no issues. my point is clear. when OnePlus grows and has sufficient resources, it should create its own USP. if everything has to be stock, then why do you need a OnePlus? go for Pixel devices. it can't get more 'stock' than that.

as with apps, I would prefer that the device comes with all apps and features (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygen-os-6-x-android-p-features.801348/) out of the box. but with the ability for users to uninstall things they don't want (for whatever reasons). one reason is because you don't always find apps for some things that aren't part of the OS. examples given in that thread.

20. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2018