Performance optimization in OxygenOS on OnePlus 9Pro

1. johnnyw84
    Eclair Jul 10, 2021

johnnyw84 , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Hmm, i dont really get your point. First you say it would be waste of resources to add option to turn these "optimizations" on/off because noone would buy SD888 device and then limit its performance. But now OP 9/9Pro are limited out of box, so how exatly you think those same peoples would buy these phones when these are performance limited without any option to get performance back?

For me its absolutely crucial that in next update they add toggle that user can decide if they want to use these optimizations or not. You cant just sell phone marketing it as one of the fastest device, then hamper its performance in daily apps and make it slower than low/mid tier phones on those..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021

Anthya888 and McJader like this.
  2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 10, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Maybe those that want to conserve energy and produce less heat. Some even use Battery Saver mode all the time and are perfectly happy with that too.

Some want 120 Hz in some apps but not necessarily all... And force it in apps that normally use 60 Hz. Here we can use solutions like AutoHz app. It lets the user decide instead of a predefined list.
    That power of options but for the CPU....

RacerZ, Tokolozi and Dresa91 like this.
  3. Couches
    Froyo Jul 10, 2021

Couches , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Samsung had throttled their cpu already.

4. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 10, 2021

Tokolozi and Dresa91 like this.
  5. Anthya888
    Froyo Jul 11, 2021

Anthya888 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 11, 2021 :
    Would rather if we had the option for throttling than it being forced down our throats. For some it's not what we paid for and it misrepresents what we paid for.

6. vivekgokulraj
    Honeycomb Jul 11, 2021

vivekgokulraj , via OnePlus 9R , Jul 11, 2021 :
    All I am saying is toggle switch is good.. but doing such thing might have some negative effects in phones performance overall. Plus already op is struggling to provide a bug free update. By adding such a major software optimization, they might totally ruin the user experience

7. Couches
    Froyo Jul 11, 2021

8. johnnyw84
    Eclair Jul 11, 2021

johnnyw84 , Jul 11, 2021 :
    There is listings at some sites, there is so many apps that its not really point to list all of those , it its easy to find with some googling.

But to mention few.

-Chrome
    -Firefox
    -Whatsapp
    -Youtube
    -Facebook
    -Outlook
    -Twitter

Etc,etc

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021

lucker#1 likes this.
  9. Couches
    Froyo Jul 11, 2021

Couches , Jul 11, 2021 :
    I appreciate it. I was more or less seeing if anyone happened to come across a site breakdown. Most sites I've come across just say "More than 300". Thanks for your reply.

johnnyw84 likes this.
  10. Rohit_vs_94 , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 11, 2021 :
    Bruh some saying it's equivalent to Snapdragon 700 series. Even Google pixel 5 performance is better in some scenarios than OnePlus 9 Pro which is absurd. Paying for a Snapdragon 888 device and getting budget performance.

11. djsmartie
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2021

12. Greg Hogan
    Froyo Jul 11, 2021

Greg Hogan , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 11, 2021 :
    I've noticed the difference in the chrome browser on the 9 pro and my Sony Xperia 5mkii is shocking.I initially thought it must be a WiFi thing on the 9 pro but to hear that OnePlus is throttling 300 apps is completely unacceptable.

Huigiebaby likes this.
  13. Waka_Yama
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2021

Waka_Yama , Jul 11, 2021 :
    No it won't. This setting is for an build in Android feature targeting to power management while the app is running in background.
    The optimization we are talking about here is active all the time, independently from this setting.

djsmartie likes this.
  14. Loveit
    KitKat Jul 11, 2021

Loveit , Jul 11, 2021 :
    OnePlus has gone from "The Speed You Need" to one of the slowest phones on the market. All while inflating prices year on year, riding on the back on shills and hype.

It's hilarious really, isn't it?

lucker#1 and aero2 like this.
  15. johnnyw84
    Eclair Jul 11, 2021

johnnyw84 , Jul 11, 2021 :
    Sold my OP9 Pro today. Gladly someone wasnt too interested about this scam & still got decent price from it. Now going to use my Note 10+ till decide which to get next (surely not oneplus).

Good luck everyone. I hope OP got their act together, but really dont expect much.

lucker#1, aero2, Huigiebaby and 2 others like this.
  16. deadly_dan
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2021

deadly_dan , Jul 11, 2021 :
    This is really frustrating. I can feel the sluggishness of my OnePlus 9 Pro in Chrome whenever i browse on picture- and add heavy websites. It's not acceptable that my over 3 year old OnePlus 6 is more than double as fast in the majority of apps than my brand new OnePlus 9 Pro.
    I'm aware that the cooling design of the OP9 series is a massive fail and can't dissipate the heat produced by the X1 and A78 cores of the SD888 adequately. But by disabling the fast cores of the SoC completely, the OP9 phones lose 75% of their performance, which is not acceptable!
    Why not throttle the maximum frequency of the X1 and A78 cores by a couple hundred Mhz instead of disabling them completely? By doing that we would at least get 80-90% of the performance instead of the unbearable 25% and the heat should not be a problem...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021

17. danski69
    Eclair Jul 11, 2021

danski69 , Jul 11, 2021 :
    So, I paid for a phone that uses the latest all singing all dancing 888 chip.
    Now I find out that most if not ALL of the apps I use are being routed through the slower chip?
    Why the hell did I pay out for the higher grade chip if it's not being used?
    Are One Plus expecting their customers to 'Settle' for this?
    If the company line is Never Settle, then why should we be expected to?

lucker#1 and aero2 like this.
  18. danski69
    Eclair Jul 11, 2021

danski69 , Jul 11, 2021 :
    I agree, the BBC app on my phone takes literally minutes to load when my girlfriends old OP5 loads it immediately?

19. Huigiebaby
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2021

Huigiebaby , Jul 11, 2021 :
    Let's hope it's just a nasty quick-fix and it's properly addessed in Android 12 aka ColorOS for OnePlus.

McJader likes this.
  20. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 11, 2021

Dresa91 likes this.