[Periscope & SD 8 Gen 1+?] OnePlus could be readying an Ultra Flagship. Your expectations?

1. kramik
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2022

kramik , Jan 25, 2022 :
    For me I think 12/512GB is more than enough, UFS 3.1.
    The front camera under the screen.
    Main camera with 108 and 3 more, Ultra-wide, Periscope and Macro.
    An iSim.
    144Hrz display with 1700 Nits, LTPO 2.0 with the possibility to use PEN.
    Top CPU and GPU.
    VoLTE and VoWi-FI accessible in settings.
    5G and Wi-Fi 6.0
    IP 68
    Battery 5000 mAh at least.

U1579936479865 likes this.
  2. jaivaghela
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 25, 2022

jaivaghela , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 25, 2022 :
    It's crazy because I had this same thought two days ago, the 10 Pro just seems like a side step instead of an actual upgrade, could it be the 10 Pro will be the 10 and the 10 Ultra could be the real Pro. Hoping this is true as it has got me a little excited. Might have to hold out on the S22 Ultra until this is confirmed haha.

3. DoctorOnCall
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2022

DoctorOnCall , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 25, 2022 :
    For God's sake, I'd like to see OnePlus stop being stubborn and finally use a side-mounted capacitive fingerprint scanner as a replacement for the power button. Saves us customers screen replacement costs in case of screen mishaps, if the screen doesn't need to house an in-display scanner. It's so much faster than both types of in-display fingerprint scanners. And definitely more efficient in multiple ways. Reduces the number of moving parts on the phone, increases device longevity. Another idea that even Apple had taken into consideration in the latest line of iPhones. Instead of making the camera module stand out, what not use up the extra space for a larger battery. Longer battery life, and no wobble while trying to type on the phone on a flat surface like a tabletop.

Q1557706869085 likes this.
  4. Syrix
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2022

5. Syrix
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2022

Syrix , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 25, 2022 :
    This cut deep, I'm in the same camp.

Q1557706869085, McJader and Aaron2017 like this.
  6. lyricalsaint316
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2022

7. Syrix
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2022

Syrix , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 25, 2022 :
    Change happens, I'm willing to see where it goes first

McJader likes this.
  8. Trita11
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2022

Trita11 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 25, 2022 :
    Yes. it was a pity not to release another model.
    I received an update to A12 on OnePlus 9 pro.
    Everything is going perfectly ( The operation was successful, the patient died)
    The software is down to earth and they release Telephones every 2-3 months.
    Who the hell is going to buy?
    But I've seen many who are only interested in what color a phone is, so .......

D1621226592647 likes this.

10. Apache_N
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2022

Apache_N , Jan 25, 2022 :
    Don't bother. You can't cope with the phones you already have. Give your customers a better user experience with the software first.

11. malidan
    Nougat Jan 25, 2022

malidan , Jan 25, 2022 :
    OP10 Ultra? 😂😂😂😂

What will be Ultra?

The 8Gen1 is already 50% down on GPU Performance on the Exynos 2200 running at half speed.

But yeah you can already see the Premium flagship route taken by the Chinese OEMs has failed and by the ommisions on the Mi /OP pro's, an Ultra edition will take over from last year's Pro. These will also fail (with the 2nd tier still look to grab Huawei's premium share) as the incoming are STILL not good enough.

Enter Honor selling Huawei devices with SD's in them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022

12. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 26, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Exynos is running way slower than the rest.
    Leaked Exynos 2200 benchmarks suggest that it barely keeps up with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 and MediaTek Dimensity 9000
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Leake...n-1-and-MediaTek-Dimensity-9000.593584.0.html

Shocking from Samsung and all. Oh well, Samshite back to the drawing board. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aaron2017 and Shailender Sharma like this.
  13. EyeGiveZeroFox
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2022

EyeGiveZeroFox , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    If one considers that the ultra wide lens on the 10 Pro is in reality a downgrade from the very solid ultra wide lens on the 9 Pro, this doesn't actually surprise me.

Furthermore, the telephoto lens has for several years been seen as a weakness for us when compared with the gamma alta flagship phones from Apple, Google Pixel, Samsung (and even Xiaomi).

I was disappointed to see that this had not been addressed on the OnePlus OP10 Pro, and so I think a priority to make a rumoured OP10 Ultra a success would have to be a significantly improved telephoto/ zoom capability. 8mp is totally inadequate for a flagship phone, and the 3.3x zoom is frankly not the best.

It's actually a shame to see an otherwise pretty solid camera handicapped when it probably wouldn't have cost too much to put a better telephoto lens on the 9 Pro.

Anyway, returning to the debate about a hypothetical 10 Ultra, referring to the list of special features in the original post, I would actually say that the 10 Ultra doesn't really need anything crazy to be the best.

On the contrary, from my point of view, only two things are needed to beat the rest:

1. More consistency in getting the basics right,

I have been in love with OnePlus since the old 3T, but it just seems that almost every year, OnePlus seems to shoot themselves in the foot for something. A few examples: OnePlus 5 (jelly scrolling and old fashioned design, otherwise it was probably the best phone available at the time), OnePlus 5T, OnePlus 6 and 6T (no telephoto; the 6T would easily have been the best phone of that year had it not been for this problem), OnePlus 7 Pro and 7T Pro (no wireless charging or water resistance and inadequate cameras compared with competition), and OnePlus 9 Pro (excellent camera experience before awful ColorOS Android 12 update, except the rather handicapped telephoto lens).

I think that the OnePlus One, OnePlus 3/3T and OnePlus 8 Pro were the years that OnePlus "got it right". The 8 Pro had the absolute best screen at the time, the best software (OxygenOS 10 is my favourite every software on any phone ever), and much improved camera. It had the same telephoto lens as the 9 Pro but back then the iPhone 11 Pro Max had an inferior telephoto lens and the S20 Ultra's zoom was considered "experimental" at the time. Nonetheless, for me the OnePlus 8 Pro was the best phone of 2020 (iPhone 12 Pro Max counts as 2021).

But anyway, the point I am trying to make is that there are several missed opportunities where OnePlus should have been the absolute best, but wasn't because of "clumsy" mistakes or a lack of forethought.

So in terms of hardware, instead of lots weird and wonderful special features, just stop making silly mistakes, think ahead before releasing products (and software), and deliver a consistently good product without a glaring hole in its armour. Most importantly, listen to this community, because I think recently they are not, or not as much as before.

2. Software. A reliable, bloat free, lightweight, near stock Android experience. I am starting to worry that this may fall on deaf ears, but Android 12 on OnePlus (I refuse to call it OxygenOS, because it isn't), has been... Heartbreaking.

In one update, I went from having the best software on any phone (Android or iOS), to having the most annoying, and overbearing software I have ever used. And that is without considering bugs. Even MIUI is less annoying than this abomination.

Considering that almost every critic on every tech website/YouTube channel and almost everyone in this community is in unanimous agreement that the "new software" is absolutely awful, I don't know what part of "We don't like ColorOS" Oppo doesn't understand; but it seems to me that OPPO either does not understand the western market, or that they don't care about OnePlus.

So in summary, the choice is theirs: If you want the Western critics back on your side, the absolute priority has to be a return to a near stock software. Western Android users want to pick up their mobile and feel like they have a top Android phone in their hand, not a "fake iPhone" with horrible iOS style visuals and a load of cr*pware and useless options.

I'd love to see a OnePlus 10 Ultra, but my worst fears would be inadequate camera hardware and unpleasant software. But, let's hope they start listening.

I would be tempted to buy it if the software were closer the "real" OxygenOS.

14. McJader
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Jan 26, 2022

McJader , Jan 26, 2022 :
    I remember using a 7" tablet in 2013 and thinking it was so big, oh how smartphones have evolved:p
    (Also, nice:cool:)

Caomhin likes this.
  15. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Jan 26, 2022

Shailender Sharma , Jan 26, 2022 :
    If the Oppo's chip, 6nm Cutting-edge Imaging NPU - MariSilicon X helps OnePlus to improve the flagship capabilities, let it be.
    Screenshot_2022-01-26-10-22-59-83_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6-01.jpeg
    The price is going to be a north of $1,500 because @Pete loves Nord (the true North). Simply, the 10 Pro Ultra is not meant for everyone! ;)

Caomhin and Aaron2017 like this.
  16. STAR+LORD
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2022

STAR+LORD , via OnePlus Nord , Jan 26, 2022 :
    @ZENG XI. @Pete. @Gary C. @Cheetosdust.

Last year they mentioned T-Lens for the selfie camera , so I think they're using T-Lens(Bezel Lens), with MariSilicon X NPU and maybe because other other phone leaks have come up with Snapdragon 8 Gen1 plus or Max something like that. Therefore that's how it be like.

Wish OnePlus used a retractable Periscope Lens.

17. Eric Joshi
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2022

18. SJBoss
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Jan 26, 2022

SJBoss , Jan 26, 2022 :
    OnePlus 10, and at this point I'm convinced it doesn't exist. Shall I create a rant thread about it?

EyeGiveZeroFox and McJader like this.
  19. Myragubben , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Nice, this makes perfectly sense!!

OnePlus shared this TLens-information back in march 2021:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...s-to-help-you-capture-your-best-shot.1401069/

The front facing camera in a future model will be upgraded with Ultra fast Autofocus, so fast that you can capture a photography in focus even if your hand is shaking or moving.

If OnePlus 10 Ultra will be launched in second half of 2022, everything fits with what I have been doing research on! The technology behind this lens is most probably here:

https://www.polight.com/tlens-for-smartphone-oems/tlens-for-smartphones/default.aspx

How many "owner of the TLens-technology" can there be out there? I can only find this one.

I spent some time in their reports and technologypresentations, and found this in the Q3-presentation, regarding smartphones:

"7 ongoing PoC´s and 3 design-in possibilities 1 st half 2022
    • Potentially start shipping TLens end Q2-21 and phone release 2 11 nd half 2022"

I sent them an email, and there are actually 3 different companies parallell in the development here, and my guess is that OnePlus is one of these 3. I hope so🤞

If OnePlus 10Ultra comes with this selfie camera, there will be a punch hole, but the size of it will be very small! There are possibilities for punch holes smaller than 2mm with this camera. If this tech is on the OP10Ultra, there will most probably not be an under-screen-cam. This comes later, because the screens are not goog enough for this yet. (Yes, I know MiMix and Axon20 uses this, but it is not fantastic quality on the photos because of the screens)

20. Aayushp47
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2022

Aayushp47 , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Yaa crazily waiting for its launch the old OnePlus is comming back may this phone compete Apple and Samsung flagships especially in camera

U1579936479865 likes this.