Persistent 5G/LTE indicator

1. ssnacks
    Cupcake Jul 5, 2020

ssnacks , Jul 5, 2020 :
    When I first got my T-Mobile OnePlus 8, even when on wifi, the cellular data indicator, either 5G or LTE, would stay on. After a recent software update, it went back to being hidden when on wifi. I love to see the indicator to see if I am connected to LTE. Any idea how to revive that? I went through all the settings and can see a way.

2. rubbamade
    Froyo Jul 5, 2020

rubbamade , Jul 5, 2020 :
    enable dual channel downloading, also in developer settings you can choose to stay connected to network even with WiFi on.

3. ssnacks
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2020

ssnacks , Jul 6, 2020 :
    Thanks. I had those all on but turned them off and back on without any luck.

4. rubbamade , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Jul 6, 2020 :
    yeah. that didn't work for me either. not sure about keeping that up. but the developer setting option does leave network connection on, it just doesn't keep the 5g up.

5. Specto
    Eclair Jul 6, 2020

Specto , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 6, 2020 :
    You can download 3rd party se for that. Om using network cell info lite, that shows lte connection in the top, while connted to wifi.

6. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2020

pgrey , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Yeah, WiFi seems to disable the 5G radio, at least intermittently, for whatever reason.
    Dual-channel Setting has no effect, when I tested that scenario, as well.
    I filed a bug, submitted logs (per their request), and denoted an instance, in the radio logs.

Having the 5G radio enabled, even though it "falls back" to LTE, also nukes the backhaul, for me anyway, it ranges from about 0.1-0.8Mbps, whereas if I disable it, I get 15-25Mbps...
    Zero 5G radio strength (according to the phone status, and the logs), but LTE fall-back is abysmal, concurrently.

The 5G "experience" with the OP8 (Pro, but really all models, I believe) is FAR less than stellar, at this point.