Persistent Root After OTA

1. mhalter3378
    Froyo Jul 4, 2014

mhalter3378 , Jul 4, 2014 :
    I was lucky to report that I received my OnePlus One a couple days ago, and everything is going swimmingly! Today, this phone got even better in my book. When I got it, one of the first things I did was root it so I could use some root apps and xposed framework. I knew I wasn't going to be flashing any custom ROMs because I like Cyanogenmod 11S so far. Because of this to flash the SuperSU zip, I didn't flash the TWRP recovery over the old one, but simply booted into it using "fastboot boot filename.img". I did this so I could receive official OTAs and then just re-root whenever this happened. To my delight, my first OTA while root just came in a couple minutes ago and I was all set to install is and then re-root by booting into TWRP and re-flashing the zip, but I didn't need to! After the official OTA, my root stayed in tact! I have done this process on other phones before and I had to re-root after each OTA update, but not for this phone! I am very glad that I will not need to re-root after each update!

Just wanted to let everyone know in-case anyone was wondering.

2. Shadowpunk
    Froyo Jul 4, 2014

Joyyy and mhalter3378 like this.
  3. Yapapi
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2014

Yapapi , Jul 4, 2014 :
    Sounds good, for the benefit of comparative noobs at root (ie me) can you point me in the direction of the method you used?

4. Bigbrutis
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2014

5. rads2312
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2014

Ma. Janice Silao likes this.
  6. oneplusoneplus
    Jelly Bean Jul 4, 2014

7. mhalter3378
    Froyo Jul 4, 2014

I followed this guide on XDA-Developers Forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2788632

The only difference being, instead of using the "fastboot flash filename.img", you would use "fastboot boot filename.img". This allows you to flash something using the recovery, but it doesn't overwrite the stock recovery.

MrBrad, richie123, hasib_kst and 2 others like this.
  8. Fred M.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 4, 2014

Fred M. , Jul 4, 2014 :
    Excellent! Have you noticed a way to turn off accepting the OTA? Ideally, we could stop the OTA to wait and see if it breaks root or locks the bootloader. If it didn't, then re-enable the OTA and update. I hope that a CM based phone wouldn't do these things, but you never know!

9. Deactivated User
    Jul 4, 2014

jase33 likes this.
  10. mhalter3378
    Froyo Jul 4, 2014

I am not aware of any stock way of preventing OTA updates. Someone could make like an xposed module that would block them, but I have never developed a module for xposed so I wouldn't know where to start.

Fred M. likes this.
  11. wizzardeel
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2014

wizzardeel , Jul 4, 2014 :
    So hold on, then you unlocked the bootloader first, copied the SuperSU zip to the sdcard, and then ran the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and installed the SuperSU zip?

mhalter3378 likes this.
  12. mhalter3378
    Froyo Jul 4, 2014

That is the process that I followed, and had no problems!

13. wizzardeel
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2014

Ok great, thanks for the info. I didnt know that if you flash the custom recovery you dont get OTA updates anymore... I always manually flashed on my S3...

So after you run "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" you dont run "fastboot reboot" anymore, right? You simple stay in the TWRP recovery and push SuperSU.zip and then you simply reboot using the TWRP Reboot button?

mhalter3378 likes this.
  14. mhalter3378
    Froyo Jul 4, 2014

Yep.

15. wizzardeel
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2014

Just a small write up based on the thread and @mhalter3378 's post:

[FONT=Lato, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2788632[/FONT]
    [FONT=Lato, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    1. Unlocking Bootloader
    • Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.
    • Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window and type:
      Code:
      cd Desktop/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
    • If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:
      Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
    • After the above command has finished excuting, run the following
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      The phone will reboot. Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then proceed onto the next section of the guide.
    • Close the command prompt window.
    2. Copy SuperSU.zip to /sdcard/
    • Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above and that it is located in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
    • Turn the phone off then boot into recovery mode by holding volume down + power. Leave the phone at the main screen of the custom recovery for now.
    • Open a command prompt window and run the following commands:
      Code:
      Code:
      adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip /sdcard/
      This will copy the SuperSU zip onto your phone. Once the command has completed continue.

3. Enter TWRP
    • Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power.
    • Rename the recovery file that you downloaded above to recovery.img. *Make sure that you rename it to recovery.img NOT recovery.img.img* Remember that this file should be placed in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
    • Open a new command prompt and run the following commands:
      Code:
      Code:
      fastboot boot recovery recovery.img
    Instructions for TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP):
    Install > browse to SuperSU zip and select the it
    Swipe to confirm the installation. Then reboot.[FONT=Lato, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

richie123, tallen and mhalter3378 like this.
  16. wizzardeel
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2014

CAUTION: Above instructions could brick your phone. Follow the directions at your own risk and I am not taking responsibility for any bricked phones.

17. MrIanB
    Jelly Bean Jul 4, 2014

MrIanB , Jul 4, 2014 :
    Thanks for good info but tired of flashing daily update fix flies and no longer rooting. Have not found a reason to do on my Note3 and no plans to do it on my OPO.

Ian. B

Iseek1 likes this.
  18. wizzardeel
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2014

It sounds like you are talking about the OTAs? OP clearly mentioned that he rooted the phone without flashing a recovery and that after the OTA he still kept root...

19. MrIanB
    Jelly Bean Jul 4, 2014

MrIanB , Jul 4, 2014 :
    I was talking about daily rom fix zip files. It seemed like it fixed one thing, break another and had to flash an update fix the next day to fix what they broke. I think the Note and OPO are great uprooted for me that not worth the hassle. That's just me.

Ian B

Iseek1 likes this.
  20. wizzardeel
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2014

Oh, well they are doing OTAs so you dont have to flash anything. That's the beauty of CM on the OnePlus One...

After you flash the SuperSU.zip to gain root (if you choose to) you don't have to flash anymore since they are pushing OTAs and you will keep your root as confirmed in this thread.

MrIanB likes this.