Petition against file manager cleanup

?

After reading the thread, do you prefer if the feature stays?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lavin A.
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2019

Lavin A. , May 1, 2019 :
    With the latest open beta 17/9 for OnePlus 6/6T, a change has been made to the file manager that enables a "file cleanup" feature. A lot of users depend on the OnePlus file manager for managing their storage and this addition is detrimental to the experience.

This code is only activated for OnePlus 6/6T in the Indian region, for now. There is no clue as to what devices and regions this will expand to next.

(Edit) Please check the additional feedback where this thread has been shared:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/bjfp2n/petition_for_oneplus_to_remove_the_file_manager/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/bjfaz2/petition_for_oneplus_to_remove_the_file_manager/

Here's the privacy policy for the feature:

[​IMG]

The entire thing can be read here: https://i.imgur.com/Hh5eaGU.jpg

The policy states that all data is being sent to a Tencent server located in Singapore. The data is protected by GDPR because OnePlus operates in Europe and adhere to the same laws in every region.
    However, this does not mean that your data is protected against leaks and mistakes done by Tencent, which have also occured several times in the past, an example- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...uan-will-probe-reports-of-huge-user-data-leak

Another concern is how the feature is handled, it uses a local version of permissions rather than depending upon Android permission controls.

[​IMG]

The feature itself is not functionally a good idea, it allows you to clean all large files, less frequently used apps at once, which can be accidentally deleted by someone with less knowledge because they trust the app to clear all useless items.

[​IMG]

The following are the reasons why I want the removal of this feature and anything similar to it:
    1. Android already has a storage manager, this is not necessary.
    2. For additional cleanup, google has apps on the play store such as "Files Go" which the user can choose to download instead of being forced.
    3. It's not a separate app so we can't choose to uninstall it either if we wish to use the file manager.
    4. Requires permissions which are not specified with the file manager package, instead uses a local version of permissions.
    5. The main reason, powered by tencent. I'm absolutely sure no one here trusts tencent with any of their data, and now we have it integrated into the file manager.
    6. Very poor translations throughout.
    7. Removes the large files category from the main page and instead adds it to cleanup where files are not arranged according to size.
    8. Cleanup offers options to delete all files in a category, which can cause new users to accidentally delete a lot of important files.
    9. This is undoubtedly bloatware, which is against the core principle of OxygenOS, they even advertise it as a selling point. https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/1123240597777567748
    [​IMG]

(Edit) Since this has gotten so much attention, I'd hope OnePlus thinks before making such additions in the future, a lot of people request features but this is not the correct way of implementation. I would have liked if those users were guided towards the well built third party apps already present on the play store. I've added a poll, view this thread in a browser to vote: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/petition-against-file-manager-cleanup.1026179/

I hope OnePlus understands that this is a step in the wrong direction, which they have been taking for a while now, and remember the roots of OxygenOs. I still prefer it over any custom rom and I've never even unlocked the bootloader on my 6, this comes from a guy who used to flash 20 different roms on a single device back in the day.

Last edited: May 1, 2019

2. Manu J.
    Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member May 6, 2019

Stickied Post
    Manu J. , May 6, 2019 :
    Hey everyone,

The OnePlus File Manager cleaning functionality is currently present in the early Open Beta stage and we are still testing it to evaluate if this feature improves overall User experience. As is happens with most of the features we introduce to OOS, this feature has been introduced due to popular demand from our users.

No confidential or personally identifiable information is being shared with any third party organizations and like all our features, this too is GDPR compliant. Only basic device information, like device region, device model or language, is collected.

This feature is India specific as most of the user demand for it has come from there, and this will be part of making Oxygen OS more localized, to better suit the needs and demands from our Indian users.

The app asks for network permissions to check the app library list on the server to intelligently clean junk files. Still, the cleaner functionality works even offline if users do not want to use the application's intelligent cleanup algorithm.

We are constantly monitoring the feedback from our community and users and the feedback about this feature will be no exception. As always, let us know if you have any other questions.

Do try out the new Feedback tool and if you have any questions or need help, please contact bughunters@oneplus.com. For more information on submitting bugs or suggestions please refer to How to report a bug and feel free to share your product suggestions via the Community app.

matthu.2711, GopalB., otto2 and 10 others like this.
  3. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 1, 2019

AnonymousWP , May 1, 2019 :
    Such a bad move. I'm fully agreeing with you. It's like reinventing the wheel as well; there's a huge number of cleaning apps in the store, plus the fact that it's mostly placebo (unless you don't like caching or you're running out of storage). Bloatware, a chance of the violation of the user's privacy, etc. Guess those surveys didn't really help. Can't imagine people actually voted for a built-in cleaning app while there are plenty of them in the Play Store.

EDIT: 02-05-2019.

I have uploaded the updated APK to Virustotal and it shows that it can connect to some Tencent domains. I have made the Tencent domains bold in the spoiler below:

And some more information: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/d...807443ab7b4ef7402bf1e2857538965ccb196/details

You can also analyze the APK in a more advanced way: https://apkanalyzer.xyz/. You can't gather a lot of information from this, but for this you'll have to analyze it yourself in Android Studio for example.

Last edited: May 2, 2019

4. matthu.2711

matthu.2711 , May 1, 2019 :
    Yeah, I agree that the file manager cleanup is an unnecessary future that goes again OnePlus original core beliefs. OnePlus is all about the pure stock experience and this just goes against everything! I know it's only a small, insignificant feature, but if we let them add bloatware they'll continue to add more and more unnecessary features.

5. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 1, 2019

FlixbusLennart , May 1, 2019 :
    Yup...
    I once bought a Samsung and its optimisation feature used the CM Cleaner engine. Imagine having such a thing in a OnePlus phone.

6. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator May 1, 2019

camohan , May 1, 2019 :
    I have removed your last sentence as it is against forum rules. If you want OnePlus to show how many of them like or don't like this feature, you can add the polling option.

I always thought people loved Mi phone and Mi software.

G_plusone and luxuskamel like this.
  7. Lavin A.

Lavin A. , May 1, 2019 :
    Yeah that's fine, wasn't aware.

I love Mi some good bloatware :troll:

8. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert May 1, 2019

Cheetosdust , May 1, 2019 :
    So, is this a bell or a whistle?

9. AnonymousWP

It's a warning, an alarm ;).

10. puma95
    Jelly Bean Moderator May 1, 2019

puma95 , May 1, 2019 :
    I'm seriously shocked learning about such a decision..
    Thanks for drawing attention to this!!

Themurtuza, script, Bintang12 and 6 others like this.
  11. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2019

LegolasX , May 1, 2019 :
    for so long OnePlus is avoiding users asking for AOD, Screen recorder and now they do this. Seriously who takes these decisions? if they had to do what they wish in the end, they should very well shut down this community, stop asking for ideas from users and be done with it.

12. DARTH 007
    KitKat May 1, 2019

DARTH 007 , May 1, 2019 :
    nice thing you have bought up.
    OnePlus doesn't care for your privacy and they have been caught stealing data.
    so your concern is of no use to them.
    also you will not find any support from the so called seniors of this forum.
    reasons.known to them.
    and the mods have been instructed to delete anything that is written against OnePlus.. reason they will give is that it is against forum rules.
    so whatever you write will be deleted instantly.
    I think you already have got a taste of it by this Mod God.
    at the end of the day nothing will happen.

13. AnonymousWP

Wouldn't surprise me they just push it down our throats because they want to be as mainstream like Samsung. It's shit, but a logical process: first reaching the fans, then abandoning them for the bigger public. Cause.. you know.. Who doesn't want 10 duplicated apps.

14. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert May 1, 2019

dsmonteiro , May 1, 2019 :
    False.

False.

15. DARTH 007
    KitKat May 1, 2019

DARTH 007 , May 1, 2019 :
    you speak for OnePlus because you work for OnePlus.
    after getting the job ,never have seen you writing anything negative against OnePlus,bcos it is this company that feeds you now, which is understandable.
    I too work.
    but before you got this job, you were very vocal and critical about OnePlus where it was required. where.has this fire gone ???
    that is what is called hypocrisy

I guess collecting data without permission is called stealing.

16. manuel19
    KitKat May 1, 2019

manuel19 , May 1, 2019 :
    Awesome, thank you for shining light on such a relevant topic! I think you could edit your thread and make the word Tencent bold, so it's easier to see. A major threat to our privacy and I am really not happy with that decision, even tho I don't even have it (for now).

Who knows, maybe there's some leftover code in the global version, that still sends them data.

17. dsmonteiro

You are saying two things that aren't true. I'm calling them out.

Your data was never collected. That's simply not true.
    Mods are not instructed to delete negative feedback. @puma95's post up there clearly proves how wrong you are about this.

I was vocal against some things OnePlus did in the past, but stopped being far before I started my role as a consultant so I would check your facts, if I were you.

18. AnonymousWP

But why you stopped being critical then? The Community Manager of OnePlus The Netherlands told me "Never Settle also means to receive criticism", but you stopped doing that. Being critical is always important, or OnePlus will become what they're heading to now: Settling on stupid and dumb decisions.

G_Mr_...., Bintang12 and dsmonteiro like this.
  19. Lavin A.

Lavin A. , May 1, 2019 :
    I believe anything can be changed with enough support from the community, which is why I made the thread. And don't worry about the moderators, it was not right to ask for upvotes and that line has been removed, they want the best for the community too and it's hard to manage so many cupcakes.

Themurtuza, Jalex_h, manuel19 and 5 others like this.
  20. dsmonteiro

A fair point and I'll gladly discuss it with you somewhere else where it isn't off-topic but long story short: the OnePlus 5T (among other things) has made me see that OnePlus was again in the right track. I'm still critical but I have more effective means of conveying my message. After all, that's part of what "consulting" means. ;)

David Y., Sujknair and AnonymousWP like this.
  21. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert May 1, 2019

Baymax , May 1, 2019 :
    Thank you for bringing this to attention bud.
    After not having my 6 in hand for a week, I had no idea this happened.

OnePlus... leave the file cleaning to Google Files Go please. No need to outsource your file manager to add in a cleaner from another company.