Petition against file manager cleanup

?

After reading the thread, do you prefer if the feature stays?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bintang12
    Honeycomb May 2, 2019

Bintang12 , May 2, 2019 :
    Yes,frick that Cleanup crap
    I dont want my beloved stock ROM turned into MIUI,EMUI,Color OS
    Oops,did i just mention that?

2. Bintang12
    Honeycomb May 2, 2019

Bintang12 , May 2, 2019 :
    If the Indians saying "Yes,good features"
    It will go global,no big deal you say?

3. molitar
    Cupcake May 2, 2019

4. G_Antero_Kulju_szbk
    Cupcake May 2, 2019

G_Antero_Kulju_szbk , May 2, 2019 :
    I did read the privacy policy. It says that the data to be sent is apps list name, android version, language and region and model info. Transferring user files such as videos is simply not feasible due to enormous traffic that it would create. Not that it isn't possible.
    Oneplus already gathers lot's more info if a user allows these Experience improvement programs baked in the OOS. Go check them if you haven't yet.

Though as with almost any app even from the play store, it is standard practice to get statistical data from app users to the developers. Which data usually includes all of the above data. As such there's nothing new with this app.

Now the functionality of the app is clearly Tencent's implementation. And I'd bet so is the privace policy. OnePlus's english translation is usually a lot better.

From functional point of view, it is clear that if the cleaning function could stay ahead of ever changing multitude of different app residues (millions of apps in playstore), it needs to gather data somehow. And such an app should be developed to take that challenge in optimum scenario. It is clear that only way to do that requires data and dedicated servers.

So what I gather, it comes to this: should you trust Tencent? Or any developer for that matter? Only answer for the common user is that use only apps that you trust. And that actually is only a psychological relief because no one can know for sure.

5. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 2, 2019

Adex0ne , May 2, 2019 :
    We don't want the cleaner in file manager, it's irrelevant, As a user I know how to take care of unwanted files on my device.

Please oneplus remove the cleaner integrated in the file manager

Last edited: May 2, 2019

6. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 2, 2019

AnonymousWP , May 2, 2019 :
    The main thing isn't really collecting, but sharing as well. OnePlus also collects data; that's correct. Difference between OnePlus and Tencent is that Tencent also shares your data with the Chinese government and maybe even sells it to other companies.

For me, I don't really mind (though I'm heavily against it) since I block all those OnePlus-domains and from Tencent too.

7. Whatnoww
    Donut May 2, 2019

Whatnoww , May 2, 2019 :
    Please remove this. I suddenly have a Tencent folder on my device without having downloaded any Tencent apps nor games. Please remove this!

8. Loveit
    Jelly Bean May 2, 2019

9. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 2, 2019

Bintang12 and Loveit like this.
  10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 2, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , May 2, 2019 :
    A whopping 99.4% of users who voted don't want this feature. Not surprising at all. These are just indirect (possibly to exploit loopholes in existing laws) means to steal data, for whatever it is worth.

I'm actually losing trust on OnePlus, among other companies. This is just another example of questionable practices adopted by this company. On one hand they don't want to give features actually requested by the users, e.g. screen recording, and on the other hand, they are bringing in features no one asked for. And i am talking of actual features, not UI tweaks that they call features for the sake of convenience.

I think i have almost made up my mind, although unwillingly. And that is to stick with Pixel phones going forward. Unwilling because they are stingy on hardware configurations. But at least i know that my data is then with Google alone, not Tencent, Alibaba, etc.

Who knows, after Huawei, it could well be OnePlus' turn.

11. Loveit
    Jelly Bean May 2, 2019

Loveit , May 2, 2019 :
    Ah, gotcha.

12. AnonymousWP

13. Gameslion
    Froyo May 2, 2019

Gameslion , May 2, 2019 :
    Why would you vote Yes? This is a small step Oneplus can take to the way of bloatware. Avoid this by making your opinion clear.

14. AnonymousWP

15. HarryRag
    Honeycomb May 2, 2019

AnonymousWP likes this.
  16. arnavagarwal__
    Froyo May 2, 2019

17. ngydat
    KitKat May 2, 2019

ngydat , May 2, 2019 :
    I'm wondering : among the people who support this thread, are there those who play PUBG? And if that's the case, are they aware that Tencent is involved in the development of the game (at least the mobile version)?

18. HarryRag
    Honeycomb May 2, 2019

HarryRag , May 2, 2019 :
    Pubg is a user installed app/game, this is about Tencent in a in rom delivered app, 2 different thing in my opinion.
    But users should be more aware of what they install, so you have a point mentioning to make them more aware.

19. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb May 2, 2019

DenyDarko , May 2, 2019 :
    I don't wanna ruin it for you guys but if you haven't noticed, OnePlus became kinda mainstream.
    They don't need a community for anything but events / contests participants and they certainly won't take decisions based on a poll here, duh.

It's really nice some believe their opinions on this forum still matters like the old times but reality begs to differ.

20. AnonymousWP

AnonymousWP , May 2, 2019 :
    Of course they're trying to become mainstream. Doesn't mean they can get away with installing spyware, or do stuff like this.