Petition against file manager cleanup

?

After reading the thread, do you prefer if the feature stays?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Liehjan KitKat May 4, 2019

Liehjan, May 4, 2019 :
    Hoping for a copy of the s9 display instead of the s8, it's much nicer in the hand :D

K1ngP1n likes this.
  2. G_Hugh_Bird_rGfs Froyo May 5, 2019

G_Hugh_Bird_rGfs, May 5, 2019 :
    If Google can pull their finger out and release something decent it will be Pixel for me.

People perceive Samsung and Apple as being the the bomb...

As someone with experience with a Note 8 I can tell you OneUI is still a joke, new icons, different name same old crap.

I constantly have problems with missed Notifications when any power saving features are on and battery life sucks when the power saving features are off. The Samsung apps are an abomination and the price is a joke.

They also have a record of adding spyware

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/02/23/our-analysis-on-annoying-chrome-ad-popups-on-samsung-phones/

I use OnePlus phones because they were well priced and offered a bloat free, simple Android experience. Now prices are increasing and spyware and bloat are creeping in it is time to move on.

Samsung are losing market share because of their holier then thou attitude and OnePlus are heading in the same direction.

3. rlramakrishnan Gingerbread May 5, 2019

rlramakrishnan, May 5, 2019 :
    Hey, thanks for your advice. I took a shot and uninstalled a lot of unwanted apps from my OnePlus 6T. All the Amazon apps, a couple of OnePlus apps as well. The phone looks a.lot more tidier now. Thanks again!

B_Wrath likes this.
  4. G_Hugh_Bird_rGfs Froyo May 5, 2019

Last edited: May 7, 2019

Maverick2.0 likes this.
  5. K1ngP1n Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2019

K1ngP1n, May 5, 2019 :
    My bad they actually copied the S9 screen ;):D;)

Kytharsis, Liehjan and Maverick2.0 like this.
  6. Liehjan KitKat May 5, 2019

Liehjan, May 5, 2019 :
    The curves have been hard to master, every year since the s6 came out the next generation curve has been better.

Don't want the 7pro to feel like the old samsung curves in my hand... The feel in the hand is a deal breaker for me, if oneplus gets it right they can have my money... If not then I will hold on to my old device :D

Kytharsis and K1ngP1n like this.
  7. K1ngP1n Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2019

K1ngP1n, May 5, 2019 :
    The only thing matters to me in 7Pro is camera, and you know what they are not talking about it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Kytharsis and Liehjan like this.
  8. Loveit Jelly Bean May 5, 2019

Loveit, May 5, 2019 :
    Wait - is this the first time you have ever had a look at app draw and uninstalled things you don't need? Is this your first smartphone?

Kytharsis likes this.
  9. rlramakrishnan Gingerbread May 5, 2019

rlramakrishnan, May 5, 2019 :
    What's a smartphone,?

10. SJBoss Lollipop May 6, 2019

SJBoss, May 6, 2019 :
    hmm.... thread is derailed.

@dsmonteiro @Manu J. @David Y. please have a look at this, almost everyone voted against the clean up feature, since we do stuff with community here, or at least that’s what we’re told.. the Community has spoken.

11. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 6, 2019

AnonymousWP, May 6, 2019 :
    Seems (and I hope) OnePlus is going to take action or at least knows about it: Community Monday Chatbox

dsmonteiro likes this.
  12. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member May 6, 2019

Stickied Post
    Manu J., May 6, 2019 :
    Hey everyone,

The OnePlus File Manager cleaning functionality is currently present in the early Open Beta stage and we are still testing it to evaluate if this feature improves overall User experience. As is happens with most of the features we introduce to OOS, this feature has been introduced due to popular demand from our users.

No confidential or personally identifiable information is being shared with any third party organizations and like all our features, this too is GDPR compliant. Only basic device information, like device region, device model or language, is collected.

This feature is India specific as most of the user demand for it has come from there, and this will be part of making Oxygen OS more localized, to better suit the needs and demands from our Indian users.

The app asks for network permissions to check the app library list on the server to intelligently clean junk files. Still, the cleaner functionality works even offline if users do not want to use the application's intelligent cleanup algorithm.

We are constantly monitoring the feedback from our community and users and the feedback about this feature will be no exception. As always, let us know if you have any other questions.

Do try out the new Feedback tool and if you have any questions or need help, please contact bughunters@oneplus.com. For more information on submitting bugs or suggestions please refer to How to report a bug and feel free to share your product suggestions via the Community app.

matthu.2711, GopalB., otto2 and 10 others like this.
  13. B_Wrath Marshmallow May 6, 2019

B_Wrath, May 6, 2019 :
    Manu, thanks for the explanation, as it is, OnePlus is GDPR compliant, but is tencent compliant too? There are many number of cases against them for sharing the data with other Chinese parties.

Is there going to be an option where we can delete the personal data stored by them? The link in the privacy statement is of no use as I'm not able to locate the option for deleting the stored data.

14. Priyanshu Sharma Jelly Bean May 6, 2019

Priyanshu Sharma, May 6, 2019 :
    I wanna ask you a question - Why all these new features are only released for India? Our data in not important? We have also paid the same amt. as other people from diff. countries...

If you wanna add any feature then first do a poll to see how many people are interested in that feature then continue... You are getting bloated day by day. Where's your so called motto... If we need then we'll download ourselves from playstore... There is no need to force people to use that...

GinsBabu and manuel19 like this.
  15. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert May 6, 2019

dsmonteiro, May 6, 2019 :
    As Manu said above:

India has a bigger demand for this kind of features, whereas US and EU not as much.

16. Priyanshu Sharma Jelly Bean May 6, 2019

This doesn't make any sense... I haven't seen people asking for this feature except for some cupcakes... They aren't providing features like Screen recorder etc. which people wants but instead they are giving unnecessary features...

They should do a poll or ask to the users before including any feature... That's what I'm saying... I don't see anyone who is happy with this feature...

17. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert May 6, 2019

dsmonteiro, May 6, 2019 :
    I don't see how the forum level has anything to do with the legitimacy of a request. Also, there is a Feedback tool (and site) through which people can request features. This is then analyzed by the Oxygen OS team.

The fact that specific feature hasn't been provided already, doesn't mean it won't be in the future.

Do you think that this is a sensible solution from the company's perspective?
    They would be always announcing their features to other manufacturers before implementing, they would slow down their internal workflow and would also be working with a skewed sample of users that does not represent the entire population.

Kytharsis likes this.
  18. Chaks_IN Gingerbread May 6, 2019

Chaks_IN, May 6, 2019 :
    MIUI is famous in India and OP thinks that the Indian users like the features like cleaner, antivirus, shelf, etc and trying to incorporate these features in OOS. But, Sirs of OP, we are with OP because of it's near stock nature and not these bloatwares. If we want these features then we have some very good phone options from Mi at very good price points. So don't bloat the OOS please.

19. Priyanshu Sharma Jelly Bean May 6, 2019

I'm saying this because most cupcakes doesn't know much about privacy and these apps not all...
    I think most people want this feature more than cleaner app as I've seen till now...
    Right.. But this isn't a new feature which is going to be implemented by OnePlus, it's already present in ROMs of other manufacturers like Xiaomi, Samsung etc... So, there is nothing that copy...

20. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 6, 2019

AnonymousWP, May 6, 2019 :
    CC: @David Y.

Hi Manu, first of all: thanks for your time giving a reply. To be honest, I secretly expected one, for the sake of transparency.

We (the people who are against this type of implementation of the feature) believe that OnePlus does follow the rules regarding the GDPR. However, Tencent is a notorious company when it comes to privacy, and they might store our (anonymized, though I doubt it if IP-addresses will be send with it) data not safely or sell or share it even further. That means that OnePlus can't tell Tencent anymore what they can and can't do with our data.

Further, in the past days, me and some others have done some research and we even found strings in the most recent Open Betas for the 5 and 5T. We also found those strings in the normal File Manager but weren't mentioned anyway, so OnePlus probably enabled those strings in the newest beta for the 6 and 6T. While those strings are already present, I hereby assume that OnePlus is planning to bring it to other devices as well, also outside India.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 6, 2019

Themurtuza, HarryRag, JerryT and 2 others like this.