Petitions for R&D

1. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 21, 2019

TheLegosCompany, Apr 21, 2019 :
    I've thought for a long time on what I believe to be the missing component to user satisfaction and that is not having a say into the build of the device they are purchasing. I believe OnePlus has been the most responsive in this area to user needs; but we can take this to the next level.

Every user has something they want to see in the current or next OnePlus device - software or hardware. So here is what I propose:

OnePlus creates a special category in the community forums for petitions. Under this special category any OnePlus user can submit any change (1 petition per change; not 4,5, and 6) they want to see on the current or next OnePlus device.

These petitions are not simple community surveying. These will actually be calls to action for OnePlus. OnePlus will set a voting minimum (500,000 users who support that idea for example) for an official response.

Official Response: Once a petition reaches that minimum OnePlus will be required to not only respond to the petition but to conduct a feasibility study into whether that change can be brought to current or the next OnePlus device (software or hardware). The official response will be given within 60 days of the petition reaching the minimum required votes for a call to action.

This feedback system will have the future potential to really involve OnePlus users into the creation of future OnePlus devices. For example if a user creates a petition to bring water resistance to the next OnePlus device, after (500,000?) votes in favor of; within the next 60 days OnePlus will be obligated to submit a feasibility study to the community detailing from whether it's possible to how much money would be added to the final cost of the next OnePlus device for that added feature. The community can then determine whether that is an added cost we are willing to accept.

The reason why these petitions are important is because they will help to avoid repeat questions about features and create an informed user base regarding the decisions OnePlus makes. Yes, we have heard that the added cost for water resistance was not thought to be worth the feature compared to the other features OnePlus was trying to implement. Because a dollar amount was not given for that added feature, people still bring this topic up. However, if they knew that adding water resistance would add an additional $70 to the device, I'm sure the request would either be made less or cease all together.

This is my proposal,
    Legos

2. Loveit Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2019

Loveit, Apr 21, 2019 :
    I didn't read all of that but what I read seemed like quite a good idea. Will check back later and read properly and may revoke the like however.

B.yashaswi likes this.
  3. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 21, 2019

pablofg1978, Apr 21, 2019 :
    Well, oneplus recently had a community contest to Design our next OxygenOS Feature (PM Challenge)and most ideas was just add bloatware o things that will be imposible to achieve on an android OS (because google will not allow it).
    The truth is this is what you will get is you let ppl to desing something

[​IMG]
    With a voting system you only make that the biggest market decide for the next improvements or features ( Most probably fm radio, and bloatware).

There are no perfect phones and you can't make everyone happy with a single device.

buntycubal, Liehjan, B_Wrath and 4 others like this.
  4. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 21, 2019

Sure. Any modifications or add ons to the proposal to make it better is always welcome.

5. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 21, 2019

pablofg1978

Well, oneplus recently had a community contest to Design our next OxygenOS Feature (PM Challenge)and most ideas was just add bloatware o things that will be imposible to achieve on an android OS (because google will not allow it).
    The truth is this is what you will get is you let ppl to desing something

[​IMG]
    With a voting system you only make that the biggest market decide for the next improvements or features ( Most probably fm radio, and bloatware).

There are no perfect phones and you can't make everyone happy with a single device.

This is for feasibility studies only. Any actual implementations, we can't really vote on because we don't know the actual way those implementations have to be carried out from a business and development perspective.

I've actually thought about the part 2 for this (which would be actual implementation), but it's still a work in progress. It would probably revolve around a higher vote count. So if 500,000 votes are needed for OnePlus to conduct a feasibility study on the idea, then maybe 2 million votes would be necessary for actual implementation. But the specifications on anything outside of votes will come down to OnePlus since you're now in the area of utilizing company resources and can't implement everything that supercedes the minimum vote requirements. But it would be exciting in and of itself to have 4-5 different proposals to surpassed the 2 million mark and on launch date we're anxious to see which will be implemented.

Part 2 has a plethora of issues to solve though. Just think about bots alone.

6. KeepTransisting KitKat Apr 21, 2019

KeepTransisting, Apr 21, 2019 :
    Very well put

pablofg1978 likes this.
  7. Loveit Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2019

Loveit, Apr 21, 2019 :
    But OnePlus listens to customers feedback. If people want FM radio and IR blaster then it should be incorporated.

B.yashaswi likes this.
  8. KeepTransisting KitKat Apr 21, 2019

Of OnePlus listened to everything their customers wanted, we'd end up with a $3000 superphone

Liehjan and Discostu like this.
  9. rik_mav Froyo Apr 21, 2019

rik_mav, Apr 21, 2019 :
    onePlus should solve their ram Optimisation issues quickly. We can't be having apps reloading even with 6 or 8gb of ram.

Aman Singh gurjar likes this.
  10. Loveit Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2019

Loveit, Apr 21, 2019 :
    Oh the old classic. Would a headphone jack have made it that much more expensive? FM radio? IR?

B.yashaswi and Aman Singh gurjar like this.
  11. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 21, 2019

pablofg1978, Apr 21, 2019 :
    well, some are already complaining about the price is too high....

12. KeepTransisting KitKat Apr 21, 2019

Those costs really do add up. Besides, FM and IR are quickly becoming outdated technologies. I don't blame them for not including them

13. meatandy Nougat Apr 21, 2019

meatandy, Apr 21, 2019 :
    You may submit all the desired ideas you want however that doesn't mean OnePlus will listen , A person can only pound their head against the wall so long , No matter if the idea is good concept or not.

Good luck getting even 1000 to sign the petition.

buntycubal likes this.
  14. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 22, 2019

TheLegosCompany, Apr 22, 2019 :
    From the comments here, this is exactly the reason for the proposal. We all have different things we would like to see or not see in a OnePlus device.

The problem is the community doesn't have any exact studies on what the actual cost (development time and/or manufacturing costs) would be. As in, what would the device actually cost if the headphone jack was brought back; or if water resistance was added; or if a higher resolution display was added; or any combination thereof?

A feasibility study provides that information for us.

15. Loveit Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2019

Loveit, Apr 22, 2019 :
    Nor do I blame them for that, but numbers don't lie. So many would appreciate the features without much cost added (FM radio and IR)

16. Loveit Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2019

Loveit, Apr 22, 2019 :
    Bro, no need for an essay each post. Short and sweet is the way.

17. meatandy Nougat Apr 22, 2019

meatandy, Apr 22, 2019 :
    OnePlus has conducted polls and/or questionnaires in the past regarding software and hardware .

buntycubal likes this.
  18. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 22, 2019

OnePlus has. Not the users.

19. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 22, 2019

Comment length is determined by what I want to say.

20. TheLegosCompany Eclair Apr 22, 2019

This is something OnePlus has to agree with. This is not a community only action. By default OnePlus will listen.