Other Phone/Allo Apps crash after 8.1

1. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

cristian.radulescu , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Last week I updated to the final release Oreo 8.1, via zip file (over the Open Beta). Now I notice that there are apps that keep crashing:
    - stock Phone app: I open the starred contacts screen, touch the dialer button down below in order to use T9 to find contacts. When I press the first dialpad number to start searching, the phone crashes
    - Google Allo app: I can't even open this one, it crashes immediately

These 2 worked fine under betas for 8.1... Now they don't!

BTW, tried to clear chache for the Phone app, no result. Did a Force Stop, no result, as well. I didn't try to cear Data, as I don't know what that clears and I'd rather see it solved through other methods.

2. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

The funny thing, I didn't realize, is I can't make calls because of the above issue, to numbers not in my contacts... :(

3. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Apr 23, 2018

Gav_W86 , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Boot the phone into recovery mode and clear the cache.

1. Power off phone.
    2. Power on phone whilst holding down the volume down button (this takes slightly longer to react than you would expect and after the initial splash screen goes blank for a slightly un-nerving amount of time. But just wait).
    3. Enter the PIN/Password you use to unlock the phone when prompted.
    4. Choose a language.
    5. Choose "Wipe data and cache" (don't worry this is only a path to a submenu, it won't delete your data).
    6. Choose "Wipe cache" (IMPORTANT - MAKE SURE YOU DON'T TAP ERASE EVERYTHING).
    7. It will confirm that you have selected clear cache and ask you to say YES.
    8. When it says success choose "Reboot"

cristian.radulescu likes this.
  4. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

I've just done that. Apparently it did solve the Google Allo issue, but it didn't solve the more pressing matter, regarding the Phone app.

Any other suggestion? Thanks!

5. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Apr 23, 2018

Gav_W86 , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Settings > Apps > App List > Phone > clear cache.
    if that doesn't work clear the phone app data in the same place.

6. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

I did that before and I've done it again (cleared both cache and data). Doesn't solve the issue... :(

7. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

Let me update. Google Allo app starts crashing again, therefore the clear cache was a very temporary fix.

In addition, I'd like to add that I have issues with Smart Lock becoming blank. I was reading on another forum that one could try to disable Smart Lock from Trusted Agents, reboot into recovery, clear cache, restart and reactivate Smart Lock from Trusted Agents. This works, again, for a while, until everything disappears again!

When I decided to leave Google phones for OnePlus, I knew I shouldn't have very high expectations for a phone significantly cheaper than the Pixel (although Nexus 6P was cheaper than 5T 18 months ago). However, I didn't expect so many bugs for very important features (like the ability to properly make a phone call).