Phone decrypted after power off

1. A1590153465364
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2021

A1590153465364 , Dec 3, 2021 :
    This topic has also been covered by this threat but as it is labeled as a Oneplus 5t issue I felt like updating it. Find the forum post I am referring too here:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/asking-for-a-decryption-password-that-was-never-set.785886/

-
    After my battery died I plugged my Oneplus 8t in using its WarpCharge65.
    Immediately after booting I saw a screen having only the Oneplus logo and a keyboard on it. When typing you could see a password promt showing up (****)

I had never set such a password before and when trying out a few I saw that it hat decrypted the entire phone - with the option to click "forgot password" which warned you that it would reset your entire memory.

-Turning the phone off by holding Power + VolumeUp Button for 10s has helped other people but that didn't work for me.

-Others said you should just repeatedly try a password and it was gonna be accepted eventually.

-> For me the solution was to try the PIN code I had as backup for the fingerprint lockscreen.

Typing that in immediately decrypted the phone.

Hope this can help some of you out :)
    Also make sure to visit the original forum post as I found around 5 different solution propositions there.

puccellino and HarshKK14 like this.
  2. rHITkM.
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2021

rHITkM. , Dec 3, 2021 :
    Yes it is known, The screen you are talking about ( Recovery mode ) that has PASSWORD written in it prompts to enter PIN or PASSWORD whatever user has set for unlocking the device.

pkg3107 likes this.
  3. HarshKK14
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2021

pkg3107 and rHITkM. like this.
  4. puccellino
    Lollipop Dec 4, 2021

puccellino , Dec 4, 2021 :
    Yes, this is standard when going into recovery mode.

Well done for working it out yourself.

🙂