Other Phone/Dialer App - duplicate contacts under "dialer/phone" but not under "contacts"

1. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Mar 20, 2018

cristian.radulescu , Mar 20, 2018 :
    I'd like to come back to this thread:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...r-dialer-phone-but-not-under-contacts.415589/

I'm new to OnePlus, by purchasing OP 5T last week. I'm coming from a Nexus 6P and now I have Open Beta 4. I've been seeing the same issue, when I enter the stock Dialer App and try to use T9 to find contacts, it shows some phone numbers twice. I've seen that thread being closed as the issue was considered to be fixed. How was it fixed? Please look at the screenshot I attach, I see double names and double phone numbers only in Dialer, not in Contacts.

Contact display in Dialer (OnePlus 5T).jpg

I didn't have that issue on the N6P before, so I guess it has to do with this stock Dialer.

Thank you!

HardikVagal likes this.
  2. Bbreak17
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2019

Bbreak17 , Jan 8, 2019 :
    Finally found a solution and the reason behind this happening.

Reason - The Android algorithm adds spaces between a number when you add a new contact however WhatsApp doesn't hence the duplication.

Solution - Simply edit the contact and delete all the spaces between the numbers. This will ensure that it matches the WhatsApp algorithm thus no duplication.

Cheers!

3. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Jan 8, 2019

cristian.radulescu , Jan 8, 2019 :
    Thanks! However, I don't want a solution on my end, but rather coming from OnePlus's Dialer app. I actually like having numbers with spaces under my contacts. :)

4. Bbreak17
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2019

Bbreak17 , Jan 8, 2019 :
    The app to blame here is WhatsApp because it's algorithm is to save the contacts without spaces.

5. cristian.radulescu
    Donut Jan 8, 2019

cristian.radulescu , Jan 8, 2019 :
    The way I see it is the Dialer's problem. That one is showing me duplicate numbers, not Whatsapp, nor any other app. I can tell you, before having OnePlus, I had a Nexus phone. That one didn't have this issue, with the same Whatsapp installed. I stick to my idea, this should be solved by OnePlus within their Dialer app. I'm not looking for workarounds. :)

OzairAhmad likes this.
  6. Bbreak17
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2019

Bbreak17 , Jan 8, 2019 :
    I've searched this elsewhere and all other brand users are facing the same issue.