Phone Got Unlocked From Un-Saved Finger!

1. Maxby23
    Froyo Sep 24, 2017

Maxby23 , Sep 24, 2017 :
    My friend took my phone and he tries to unlock my phone from his finger (whose fingerprint wasn't registered) and after 3-4 attempts the phone got unlocked and i got mad at that time! Did Anyone suffer from this problem? Or it's a Bug or something else? Oneplus Team Kindly Consider This.

G_ItsMo_tyoN likes this.
  2. Nezumi_
    KitKat Sep 24, 2017

Nezumi_ , Sep 24, 2017 :
    that is because your phone is not in a secure state.
    check your smart lock settings and also make sure to set screen lock timeout to immediately.

darius1988 and Callsign 16 like this.
  3. darius1988
    KitKat Sep 25, 2017

4. gpolydoros
    Gingerbread Sep 25, 2017

gpolydoros , Sep 25, 2017 :
    It can happen and has happened before, even without Smart Lock keeping the device unlocked. Fingerprint sensors developed for mobile phone use can only protect you so much. Because they only register a small part of your fingerprint, the chance of a false positive is relatively high. That's why you have a limited amount of retries. Use a passcode if you're seriously concerned about data theft.

5. VaibhavBhargava
    Lollipop Sep 25, 2017

VaibhavBhargava , Sep 25, 2017 :
    Sorry, never happened (statistically speaking - no one has found fingerprints or parts of them being identical). There are more chances of the fingerprint sensor being faulty, which by itself is unlikely.

6. gpolydoros
    Gingerbread Sep 25, 2017

gpolydoros , Sep 25, 2017 :
    There are numerous reports about this happening on the web, however I'll agree that *officially* it has indeed never happened. But this might also be because sampling several thousands of actual fingerprints is not an easy task; it would probably raise very serious privacy concerns to begin with. In other words, it would be difficult to find such a large number of people willing to share their fingerprint pattern voluntarily for research purposes. I'm not aware of any such large-scale research having taken place, although I might very well be wrong.

Statistically speaking, however, even by Apple's own figures (which are bound to be optimistic), there's at least a 1 in 50.000 probability for the iPhone's fingerprint sensor to register a false positive. That by itself means that, where I live, about 100 people would be able to unlock my iPhone. To put this into perspective, a hashing algorithm that had a 1 in 50.000 chance to produce the same hash using different input would be considered inherently insecure. Add to this that "hacking" a fingerprint sensor is even easier, and my advice still stands: this kind of security might be adequate for the average Joe, but if you are really concerned about data theft, use a passcode instead.

patrice58 likes this.