Sound Phone keeps going into silent mode without moving the slider.

1. needa
    Honeycomb Sep 15, 2017

needa , Sep 15, 2017 :
    Hi :)
    Anyone having this issue or know a fix? Every day or two I find my phone in silent mode with missed calls and texts. It started happening after this last update. Today... I missed some important ones.
    Is there a fix? Or better yet.. is there a way to completely disable the slider. I never use the thing and all it is doing at the moment is costing me time and money.

Thanks.

Cormac_Ó_Bric and vinaysagar like this.
  2. Afzal Khan
    KitKat Sep 15, 2017

Afzal Khan , Sep 15, 2017 :
    It can also happened with the Volume button (If pressed accidentally or willingly). Just check if it is pressing by any chance..or make sure you are not using any cover which is accidentally pressing vol down key.

3. needa
    Honeycomb Sep 16, 2017

needa , Sep 16, 2017 :
    I installed rocker locker once this started happening. Thinking that maybe that is what I did.
    I will turn off rocker locker and verify that I still have to move the slider to silent, and then back to ring in order to get my volumes back. I am pretty sure I do.

Anyone know if there is some cache or data that I can clear specific to the slider? I don't want to reset.

4. needa
    Honeycomb Sep 19, 2017

needa , Sep 19, 2017 :
    Going to bump this one more time before I reset.
    When on ring, my volume will not go down far enough to make it go to silent. Yesterday, with rocker locker uninstalled.. I went to silent three times. Woke up this morning with it on silent again... and my playlist was playing(?)! WTF.
    Every time it goes to silent I have to move the slider from ring to silent and back to ring.

Any thoughts?

5. Rohit_VP
    Honeycomb Sep 19, 2017

Rohit_VP , Sep 19, 2017 :
    Confirmed...
    Paranormal activity...
    Run with all your might my friend (ta ta taa....Alfred Hitchcock Psycho theme playing)

The only way to get the phone to complete silent is through the slider..

So if u say its going into silent....it could mean defective alert slider.. (did u drop the phone like ever??..sily question..as long as gravity is there everything falls...what i meant is maaaajor drops? )
    Did u try rocking the alert slider? i mean does it still click or is it stuck??

Solution : The only work around is service centre ..since what you are dacing is most likely a hardware issue..

Do update us on the proceedings.

6. needa
    Honeycomb Sep 19, 2017

needa , Sep 19, 2017 :
    I got with customer support. They told me what I already knew... Do a reset. I went ahead and did it. So far so good. But won't know for sure for at least 24 hours. It has fallen off the arm of the couch a few times, onto hardwood floors, so nothing noteworthy. Slider not stuck or anything like that.

If it continues I am going to take it apart and see if I can disable it all together.

As for paranormal. Lol. Yeah it is a bit weird. No doubt about it. And no **** man... It was playing Jenny (acoustic) by Nothing More when I finally heard it and woke up. There is a bug in play music that will start back up after a phone call... Sometimes. It must have started up after I missed a call.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

7. Rohit_VP
    Honeycomb Sep 19, 2017

Rohit_VP , Sep 19, 2017 :
    Yea even I have a part ghost that works on bluetooth headsets only...but it likes gagnam style mostly...

I hope it's a software issue...

But be careful when u tear it apart...might void ur warranty ...try taking it to a service center...

Do let us know what happens...

8. needa
    Honeycomb Sep 20, 2017

needa , Sep 20, 2017 :
    No change. It seems like it is going into silent mode when it goes into doze mode. Going to try and hunt that setting down that I saw and turn it off.
    As far as taking it apart.. that's not an issue. Don it many times. I will do it as a last resort... but I am thinking to just go back to my XL and sell this OP5. No OnePlus service centers around me. And I don't care to go through an RMA process. If they give me any trouble, I wont buy OnePlus again. So best that I don't give them the option to piss me off. lol.
    Thanks for the help.

9. Rohit_VP
    Honeycomb Sep 20, 2017

Rohit_VP , Sep 20, 2017 :
    If the issue is recurring even after a complete factory reset it just means hardware issue...which could mean 2 things...
    1, Service centre (safest as far as money is concerned...but time consuming)
    but not feasible for you

2, Open it apart...
    It looks like the alert slider is not directly on the board...use Jerry rig everything (if u need any help...since you already have you might not need this...but still just putting it up)

see if contact is functional...

Pls put up pics if u are opening it up..

Fingers crossed for u

needa likes this.
  10. needa
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017

needa , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Ok so I turned off Doze. Haven't had it go to silent in two days. The problem now is I am using 2% battery an hour at idle. Going to turn Doze back on and see if it comes back.

11. Rohit_VP
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017

Rohit_VP , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I don't know but I am forced to feel that this is a software glitch...I hope you must have done a complete wipe and a new flash of software....

Do let us know if it recurs....

12. Cormac_Ó_Bric
    Cupcake Nov 15, 2017

Cormac_Ó_Bric , Nov 15, 2017 :
    I have the exact same problem as the OP.
    My OnePlus 5 is putting itself into silent mode multiple times an hour. The slider stays in the position for all alerts to be on but the phone switches to silent mode with a single vibration.

I did a complete factory reset on the device today and now the device is putting itself into 'do not disturb' mode over and over. Again this happens without the alert slider moving.

It may not sound like it but it is an infuriating problem.

13. Gunjan Ft Shady
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2017

Gunjan Ft Shady , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Hi Guys,

Even I am facing this issue... I am giving it to customer care.... Let's see...

Has anyone's issue rectified??

14. matelipcsei
    Donut Jul 7, 2018

15. arvindkelvin
    Cupcake Dec 30, 2018

16. O1572775438685
    Cupcake Nov 10, 2019

O1572775438685 , Nov 10, 2019 :
    My brand new OnePlus 7T is doing the same :(
    Has this thing been going on for two years? Through 3 generations??
    Has anyone solved it?

17. kwainhouse
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2020

kwainhouse , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 7, 2020 :
    Eventually managed to solve this. When you (inadvertently) press power button and Volume up, the phone goes into silent mode. Seems to be a bug or poor positioning of the buttons at least. Hope this helps with this MOST annoying feature!

needa likes this.
  18. needa
    Honeycomb Nov 19, 2020

needa , Nov 19, 2020 :
    I hate bumping this old post, but I got a dm on it so I figured I would go ahead and post here also. My ultimate fix was turning doze off and back on. I do remember it happening again months later.... probably after an update. I did the same thing with doze and I was back in business. But this was with older software. The fix today is probably going to be diffrernt. I don't even think they call it doze anymore. kwainhouse seems to have fixed it in a different fasion. So maybe try that also. Hope this helps.