Phone occasionally makes random notification noise except...

1. anopo Gingerbread Jul 20, 2014

anopo, Jul 20, 2014 :
    When I turn it on to check, there is no notification... Happens more than once. Why is this? :|

2. anopo Gingerbread Jul 20, 2014

anopo, Jul 20, 2014 :
    Anybody? I swear I am not going crazy - the phone occasionally makes noises for absolutely zero reason (that I am aware of -- e.g. notifications, calls, text, etc.).

3. randaddy Gingerbread Jul 21, 2014

randaddy, Jul 21, 2014 :
    Do you have lock screen sounds enabled? If you have a delayed lock screen i.e. 10 minutes, the phone will still sound the lock notification with the screen off.

anopo likes this.
  4. anopo Gingerbread Jul 21, 2014

anopo, Jul 21, 2014 :
    I believe I do, I currently have my phone set to automatically lock after 10 minutes. That may be it. There is also another noise though, occasionally when I set my phone down on the table it makes a different noise from the 'lock screen' noise. What could this one be?

Sorry to be completely ambiguous but I could not even give you the default notification sound as I am unsure what the sound is.

EDIT - I think it might be NFC? Unsure how to check the sound for NFC.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

5. l3g1oN Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 21, 2014

l3g1oN, Jul 21, 2014 :
    I think I had this also once or twice (vibration without reason) o_O
    Ps: I have no lockscreen activated

6. dbdistin Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 21, 2014

dbdistin, Jul 21, 2014 :
    Could it be a notification that the phone is fully charged? May be this if it is plugged in when you hear the sound

7. youdame Gingerbread Jul 21, 2014

youdame, Jul 21, 2014 :
    happened to me too but not really bothered by it. possible explanation of what might be happening based on the apps i use is that I often put the phone down while typing a msg on either WeChat or Whatsapp. I set phone lock to 2 minutes and i believe it emits a notification sound when it locks, but also if you put the phone down with whatsapp/Wechat still open, it gives a short click instead of the full notification when someone replies u. just a guess

8. anopo Gingerbread Jul 21, 2014

anopo, Jul 21, 2014 :
    Hm, sounds feasible but I cannot seem to reproduce (unless I place the phone on my wallet -- like I usually do at night), some times the silly noise goes on loop too... :(

9. jaywan3 Cupcake Jan 14, 2015

jaywan3, Jan 14, 2015 :
    i also have this issue, but i think i found a fix. turn your nfc off and the sound should go away. i think this is an issue if your phone is near any card that has the tap to pay feature. making the phone think its near another nfc phone but fails to communicate. hence the sound.

tho im not sure if this is truly the issue, tho its fix for me (for now).

danplews likes this.
  10. eyalrt Cupcake Apr 30, 2015

eyalrt, Apr 30, 2015 :
    It is true. my phone makes random noises. I have never set theese noises.
    They have started when I have tried to flah the new lolipop image in the twrp recovery.
    I have failed, because the recovery version was too old, but upon botting up I have started hearing these random noises.
    I then upgraded the reovery, and flashed the lolipop image, and everything was Ok for a week. Now the noises have started again. My phone is rooted. nothing risky isinstalled, but I think some app I have installed is responsible for this.
    I am still trying to find which one.

11. rmacias1279 Gingerbread Apr 30, 2015

rmacias1279, Apr 30, 2015 :
    I received random notification noises but with no notifications in the drawer. I figured out it was my e-mail app. Though I set it to not give me notifications on certain e-mail accounts, the sound still plays when I receive an e-mail, but does not show a notification in the notification drawer.

12. psycotimi Cupcake Jul 15, 2015

psycotimi, Jul 15, 2015 :
    Recently bought flip cover and keeping bank card in the cover, NFC sounds most propable reason to my looping notification sound (which is quite annoying, opening phone and suddenly 10+ times notification sound with no seemable reason). Turning NFC off and won't come back to this thread if it helps :)

13. cnl Honeycomb Sep 3, 2015

cnl, Sep 3, 2015 :
    i have the exact same problem but my nfc is already switched off

14. villebeats Eclair Sep 3, 2015

villebeats, Sep 3, 2015 :
    had the same problem after the update was driving me crazy..... What i did was check my voicemail and that solved the problem... Check your signal it will beep every time it goes up are down...:D:D;)

15. M1561362132667 Cupcake Jun 24, 2019

M1561362132667, Jun 24, 2019 :
    HI All, I have the same problem on my ONEPLUS 1 ...tried everything you suggested...still beeping on...so annoying I'm going crazy! Any other idea? thanks in advance for your help.... S