Phone Randomly Factory Reset

1. Mvd123
    Eclair Nov 8, 2014

Mvd123 , Nov 8, 2014 :
    The other night my phone randomly factory reset itself. I looked down and noticed that Android apps were updating. I thought that maybe this was an automatic OTA that was occurring. When it was finished all of my data (app data, messages, picture's) were all gone, but all of my installed apps were still on the phone. I also noticed that my home button and some of the toggle keys in the notification drawer were not working. I filled out a ticket on Jira but they redirected me to some with the same problem (which has not been resolved btw), so they were no help. Submitted a claim to Oneplus support but it will take days for them to get back to me. Has anyone else had this problem or can offer some insight as to why this could have happened? My phone hasn't been rooted and the bootloader has not been unlocked.

Thanks

ricardomlestrella likes this.
  2. JeremyNZ
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2014

JeremyNZ , Nov 27, 2014 :
    Mine did a random factory reset a few weeks after getting it, I took a photo with it next thing all the services started crashing, it restarted and did a factory reset... ever since it has seemed a bit sluggish. I'm nearly at the point or returning it for a refund.

Have issues with the touchscreen when battery is under 15%, screen constantly wont wake up requiring a hard reboot, poor mobile data performance

3. madmoses
    Cupcake Apr 12, 2015

madmoses , Apr 12, 2015 :
    Hey, ive made a factory reset and lost all my images ... My phone has the standard ROM installed and is not rooted. Any advice how to get my pictures back?​

sapverhoeven likes this.
  4. benlam
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2015

benlam , Jul 2, 2015 :
    My phone has the same symptom too. It has been reset randomly many times without any sign. It happen every 2-3 months. Frankly speaking this kind of behavior make the OPO unusable. Any clue?

5. kafenio
    Donut Jul 8, 2015

kafenio , Jul 8, 2015 :
    i'm running CM12.0-YNG1TAS2I3 and it happened to me two times within the past 2 weeks that the phone spontaneously factory reset itself. guess i will have to put it in the locker until 12.1 arrives...

6. vjameta
    Eclair Jul 13, 2015

7. momay79
    Eclair Jul 13, 2015

momay79 , Jul 13, 2015 :
    try manually factory reseting

8. vjameta
    Eclair Jul 26, 2015

vjameta , Jul 26, 2015 :
    You know what. This repeated and that is within 10 days. It reset in my pocket just half an hour back. All data wiped again. It's something to do with heating cause I could feel the hot phone in my pocket. Good what do I do? I have not signed into cyanogen this time. Let's see.

9. vjameta
    Eclair Jul 26, 2015

vjameta , Jul 26, 2015 :
    Could you find any reason?

10. Feelers
    Honeycomb Jul 26, 2015

Feelers , Jul 26, 2015 :
    Me too months ago I can't remember my situation on what exactly happened though sorry

11. vjameta
    Eclair Jul 26, 2015

vjameta , Jul 26, 2015 :
    One thing is a possibility that when sitting/bending the power button and volume button may be pressed in the pocket and the screen which asks for reboot ,wipe shows and then the last option is selected ?

12. vjameta
    Eclair Aug 13, 2015

13. subs4vikas
    Cupcake Aug 13, 2015

subs4vikas , Aug 13, 2015 :
    My phone has also been resetting itself too and I opened a ticket for that. Support guy advised me to change the OS to Oxygen OS. They will do a remote session with me to get my phone working as after the reset it is not even working. In my case, after the reset phone screen does not respond to scrolls and every time I touch the screen to perform some action it just form green dashed rectangle area around the touched area.

I can update this thread after the remote session.

Surprisingly nobody from One Plus Team is responding to this thread even though so many people are having this issue.

14. malidan
    Nougat Aug 13, 2015

malidan , Aug 13, 2015 :
    I had the same problem a few months back as well as loss of baseband etc. T
    This will resolve the issue by formatting all partitions and reinstalling your OS back to factory condition.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...ock-cm11s-fix-bricks-etc.235842/#post-8984990
    You will finds a video to follow in the link

15. vjameta
    Eclair Aug 26, 2015

vjameta , Aug 26, 2015 :
    I still think it's not the os but the buttons. I've ordered a back cover which basically has slots for the buttons. Thus probability of them being pressed when in jeans pocket should reduce dramatically.

By the way I have had the reset 4 times already in 2 months.

16. shaz56
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2016

shaz56 , Feb 25, 2016 :
    Hi @vjameta, are you still facing this issue? it just happened on me when i was walking with phone in my pocket and suddenly the phone went factory reset! I seriously got no clue on why this happened :(

17. aavion
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2016

aavion , Feb 25, 2016 :
    That looks like a corrupted storage file system (or even a hardware defect - corrupted emmc chip)... you may try to flash the factory image via fastboot, as this erases all partitions and rebuilds them, maybe this'll do the magic you need ;)

Battery < 15% makes the phone to save power where it can... so the Performance suffers a bit, that's working as intended...
    Sadly only using root apps to recover deleted files, but that only works if they weren't encrypted and there's only a 50/50 chance...

18. vjameta
    Eclair Feb 26, 2016

vjameta , Feb 26, 2016 :
    I bought a case Cover which prevents the power button and volume button to be pressed simultaneously in my pocket. Those buttons are not hard enough and very sensitive. I changed my case and it stopped.