Phone vs PC processor

1. magnushelander
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

magnushelander , May 21, 2014 :
    I don't know much about computer architechture and i was just wondering how the snapdragon 801 compares to a for instance an Intel i5. I suppose the way the two processors are configured are very different, but i'm just curious because must of the mobile processor seems to overtake my laptop in both clock speed and number of cores.

2. AbeHaverkamp
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2014

AbeHaverkamp , May 21, 2014 :
    i5 is way more powerfull, but the new Nvidia Tegra K1 is kepler based and is as powerfull as a desktop gpu/cpu

fo0ling, evilmititis and devon28 like this.
  3. devon28
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2014

devon28 , May 21, 2014 :
    You'd have to compare it to something like a Core Duo 2. But even then, I'm sure it will outpace an 801/805...

4. magnushelander
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

magnushelander , May 21, 2014 :
    Okay, my thinking was right them, but is just the way the processor do calculations and is set up? I guess it can work harder due to more cooling

5. AbeHaverkamp

It just can't be as fast as an i5 because the phones battery doens't have the power and there is not enough cooling. As an example: running a fully loaded i5 pc from a 3100mAhm battery isn't going to work ;)

6. fabryx92
    Froyo May 21, 2014

fabryx92 , May 21, 2014 :
    You can't compare mobile cpu with desktop cpu. They are very different, and frequencies and number of cores it's neither comparable. The core architectures are very different.
    However, desktop (or laptop) cpus are very more powerfull. The goal of mobile cpus are efficiency, not brute power.

7. fabryx92
    Froyo May 21, 2014

fabryx92 , May 21, 2014 :
    It's not the mAh the real problem; but voltage and ampere that battery can erogates.

evilmititis likes this.
  8. tasawwur_12q
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

tyler539 likes this.
  9. AbeHaverkamp

More like a core 2 duo, snapdragon 801 is faster than pentium 4

tyler539 likes this.
  10. magnushelander
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

11. namieleo
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

namieleo , May 21, 2014 :
    actual speed does not equal to performance.
    like intel, the model no is a kind of performance indicator , they dont use speed as model number anymore
    and in terms of cpu structure. arm is lower performance than x86
    this is already know when pocket pc launched

12. Schokomuffin711

Schokomuffin711 , May 21, 2014 :
    these are different architectures. Android Apps won't run on a Windows PC and vice versa.
    Besides, a desktop CPU will have the ability to dissipate heat up to 100W (Intel currently goes up to 84W in most of its models) that means you can run calculations faster. In comparision in a notebook you can dissipate heat of around 15W or maybe 20W maximum since you only have very small coolers with whiny fans when your device gets hot. And in a tablet or smartphone were you don't have active cooling you are around 3W.

The CPU cores are designed with thermal design as the limiting factor. The raw computing power might be bigger in one or the other - but most of the time you aren't running math calculations but giving the CPU multitask like several applications. Think of it as a car and a motorbike. The acceleration on a bike is faster, you might get a headstart on a traffic light, but a car is for transporting the whole family, travel long distances without getting tired by the wind while going at a high speed.
    Different applications, different positions on the market - in a way you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

magnushelander likes this.
  13. Silhaut

14. dBm
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2014

dBm , May 21, 2014 :
    Architecture, etcetera. Four Krait 400 cores at 2.5GHz are gonna get a hell of a lot less done than four Haswell cores at 2.5GHz. (The latter is much larger, draws far more power, and produces enormous amounts of heat.)

15. janlaa
    Eclair May 21, 2014

janlaa , May 21, 2014 :
    I think it's not quite true and far more complicated imo

16. AbeHaverkamp

The Tegra K1 has 192 cudo cores + it has open GL4.4 the snapdragon 801 has openGL 3.1

17. munka
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

munka , May 21, 2014 :
    A more sensible question would be how do the modern Qualcomm CPUs compare to Intel and AMD X86 CPUs in Performance gained per watt. The answer is that they do very well, so well infact that both AMD and Intel are trying to produce competing products like Mullins for AMD and the Atom line for Intel. Which are all about getting power output down for tablets and phones.

Some of the newer of each chip are now producing roughly twice the performance for 3 times the power, which is much closer than they used to be. And in the Tablet space, AMD and Intel now have some pretty good solutions. In the phone space, neither AMD or Intel can really offer up anything below 3W which really is required if you want to operate a phone on a practical battery and not burn the hand of the operator.

For a phone, Qualcomm's only real competition is other Arm based products. Apple arguably being the closest competitor, but their chip is not available to Android OEMs, this really means Qualcomm's direct competition is the likes of Samsung and NVidia in the high end and Mediatek in the low end (yes that includes their octa core).

In summary their product is placed extremely well in their target segment, and I can only give them a thumbs up. I hope their next generation is as good as Krait as the Snapdragon 805 will be the last we see of Qualcomm designed CPUs for about a year as they move to a standard ARM architecture like the Cortex A53 or A57.

Last edited: May 21, 2014

lol_lol_2512 and caspere like this.
  18. munka
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

munka , May 21, 2014 :
    AND the Tegra K1 is not yet available in the open market, AND Qualcomm have the Snapdragon 805 coming soon, most likely in peoples hands before the Tegra K1. The 805 has an Adreno 420 (801 has and Adreno 330) which should bridge most of the feature and speed advantaged the K1 has on paper over the 801 Snapdragon.

AbeHaverkamp likes this.
  19. AbeHaverkamp

True I hope the Oneplus two will have 805 or K1

munka likes this.
  20. inkasso
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

inkasso , May 21, 2014 :
    You cant compare SOCs with CPUs maybe in flops and there are huge differces. PCs are very much faster