Phone vs PC processor

1. Stefan_
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

Stefan_ , May 21, 2014 :
    Think about it this way: The i5 can do heavy gaming on ultra graphics and some photo- and videoediting - and it can heat up to more than 80 degrees celsius under load. The 801 lays mobile games smoothly, but not much more than that. It's plenty of power for a phone.

2. NextgeN
    Gingerbread May 22, 2014

3. HUBCITYGEE
    Honeycomb May 23, 2014

4. gt5679a
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2014

gt5679a , May 23, 2014 :
    This is a good, informative thread. Haven't been many of these recently.

5. chucho
    Donut Aug 13, 2014

6. Seddary
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2014

Seddary , Aug 13, 2014 :
    Quit interesting

7. alexmwong
    Gingerbread Aug 13, 2014

alexmwong , Aug 13, 2014 :
    Dang, I tried reading everything and I understood absolutely 0. I came up with the conclusion that you're all smart as shit, and its the people like you that make the lives of all of us dumb people a lot easier. Thank you.

8. lurking shadow
    Froyo Aug 15, 2014

lurking shadow , Aug 15, 2014 :
    The highest heat dissipation on the market is 220W on AMDs high end CPU.

9. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

10. lurking shadow
    Froyo Aug 15, 2014

lurking shadow , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Its a good question though. His many instructions per cycle can an 801 execute?

Deactivated User likes this.
  11. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

12. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

13. magnushelander
    Honeycomb Aug 16, 2014

magnushelander , Aug 16, 2014 :
    Then why don't you get the hell off an ancient thread i started months ago, where nobody actually owned the phone and i had a genuine question to ask the educated community?

14. Deactivated User
    Aug 16, 2014

15. magnushelander
    Honeycomb Aug 16, 2014

Are you being rude because you like to? Or is is it just because you have nothing relevant or interesting to contribute with?

16. magnushelander
    Honeycomb Aug 16, 2014

And you seem like a clever chap, so can you explain to me the architectural difference between an e.g. Snapdragon 801 and an Intel i5?

17. firewire2035
    KitKat Aug 16, 2014

firewire2035 , Aug 16, 2014 :
    mag: i'll try my best to describe what i know about the difference between a high performance (HP) cpu vs an mobile (M) cpu. I have been involved designing chips in these two areas.

first, more than most ppl realized, power is king in the mobile world. ppl will most likely sacrifice a bit of performance if there are significant power saving gain. This is not true in the HP world. An analogy would be the high performance car sector vs the eCar sector. The only thing HP car cares is speed, never really about the range.

now to the architecture. the soul for modern HP cpu architecture is the ability to do speculative execution. a lot of CPU internals are tied to paradigm. what this mean is a lot of physical assets, e.g. execution units and temp registers are allocated to do something that may get discarded later. this translated to excessive power and silicon. in the mobile world this is very precious.

as for M processor. the design perspective is very different. the chip itself is highly integrated, i.e. system on chip SOC. wifi, radio, usb blah blah blah should all be in one chip. so the CPU design, not the processor, needs to be very flinty. the power strategy for M processor cannot be more different. the design should have the ability to turn power off on individual blocks. there are multiple voltages running within the chip. some blocks can vary the voltage base on demand, i.e. CPU. the implementation of these features are much more difficult that it sounded.

another view to consider is a HP cpu chip designer will be find difficulty fitting in the mobile world. but a mobile design should be able to adapt to the HP world pretty easily. as the matter of fact, mobile experience (low power) are in high demand in you r traditional high performance chip world; like processor and networking.

Deactivated User likes this.