Tutorial Photo Editing for Beginners - [A Guide]

1. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 28, 2018

AdamLuong, Jalex_h, otto2 and 3 others like this.
  2. vksinha Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 30, 2018

vksinha, Nov 30, 2018 :
    Wow.. Simply superb.! Indeed, you have explained it very well for beginners.
    Especially liked the explanation using pro features. They are alien to most users..

Thanks to you for sharing the article..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

3. Venky61 Jelly Bean Nov 30, 2018

Venky61, Nov 30, 2018 :
    Very well explained guide. Totally projects the essence of Post Processing. Loved it.
    I just want to add one tip for the guide about keeping a check on the color setting of the screen,on which the picture is captured and edited. Several times it happens that the night mode or some other mode of the screen is ON and the user assumes it to be the true color of the image and edits based on that. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

Jalex_h, Bouncer71, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  4. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 30, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Nov 30, 2018 :
    Very good tip :) Thanks for sharing

Bouncer71, TibiTibi, otto2 and 3 others like this.
  5. rdb06 Froyo Nov 30, 2018

rdb06, Nov 30, 2018 :
    I am not able to take wonderful pic with my 6t in pro mood like these.
    pls teach me...
    a) how to control histogram
    b) what should be iso value, exposure time, white balance others in
    1) high light
    2) at sunset
    3) low light
    4)full night
    pls pls pls , help me

6. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 30, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Nov 30, 2018 :
    I went over it in my Part I. Read it. :) Take my RAW file and follow my instructions and then take the same RAW file and experiment. ;)

If you have any questions after that I'll be glad to answer them

7. Murman Jelly Bean Nov 30, 2018

Murman, Nov 30, 2018 :
    You won't take amazing photos using someone else's 'recipe'. You will make amazing photos when you spend time to learn how.

A) the histogram changes with changes in color and exposure. If you increase exposure the histogram moves to the right, and vice versa.
    B) the best way to learn this is go outside during the day. Take a picture in full auto. Open the picture and look at the settings the camera used and write them down. Put the camera in manual mode and change the settings to match the full auto settings and take another picture (of the same subject in the same light with the same background). It should look very similar (same), and so will the histogram. Now change only the shutter speed to twice as fast (example 1/300 to 1/600) and take another picture (again, same subject, light and background). You have now decreased exposure by one stop (half the light). The picture will be darker and the histogram will be shifted to the left.
    Now try changing only ISO and observe. Doubling the ISO results in an increased exposure of 1stop and increases noise as well. The higher the ISO, the worse the noise.
    Now try changing only white balance and observe.

Take all the pictures to your computer and look at them in a good program. I use Nikon Capture NX D (free, excellent histogram). Look at the histogram with different exposures and white balances.

Now try all this on a day with different weather, indoors, different locations, etc.

Edit to add - Some things to search for on Google for further research - Exposure triangle, Histogram

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

Jalex_h, rdb06, Shivang Joshi and 2 others like this.
  8. hotsauce KitKat Nov 30, 2018

hotsauce, Nov 30, 2018 :
    Most landscape photographer expose to the left because its much easier to recover details from the shadows than to recover from blowned out hightlights. But that is also true for general photography. An under exposed picture have a greater chance of correction than an overexposed one.

Just look at this pic and how much details you can recover from the shadow. (edited using Snapseed for Android)

PhotoGrid_1493347724857.jpg

9. TibiTibi Marshmallow Nov 30, 2018

TibiTibi, Nov 30, 2018 :
    My words, I also mostly go under/left with the exposure.

10. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 1, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Dec 1, 2018 :
    Depends on the scene. At night time, mostly you expose to the right to get the picture much brighter. As I posted in my example. In the day light, well...that's a different story. Landscape photographys approach is different. I tend to expose to the right to get much out of the shadows and to reduce noise. Everybody's approach is different.
    With your sunset picture you want to expose to the left because you want that sun to look good while the other parts are going to be underexposed which in turn you can pull up the shadows to bring everything that is dark, brighter.

Jalex_h, Shivang Joshi and Bouncer71 like this.
  11. kaphlerisi Gingerbread Dec 2, 2018

12. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 2, 2018

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  13. kaphlerisi Gingerbread Dec 2, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  14. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 2, 2018

15. rdb06 Froyo Dec 2, 2018

rdb06, Dec 2, 2018 :
    so educative, thanks a lot, I Will try...

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  16. kaphlerisi Gingerbread Dec 2, 2018

kaphlerisi, Dec 2, 2018 :
    thanks!
    I too normally use pro mode when the lighting is unfavorable and want clear view of something unclear in normal auto mode!
    Hope the lightroom functionality you mentioned is of Android version, will try next time and bookmarked your post! will read next time as well later,.

In fact I googled much on photo composition rules and pro mode tricks, these all mentioned in one single text is very good for revision.

thanks for the long list in simple language.

will try editing raw pictures next time to try to get better results. this I've not done till now.

thanks again for the post!

ONE QUESTION: is there anything that blends two pictures taken of the same scene from exactly same viewpoint? I want to blend them to get hdr effects actually.
    e.g. sunset scene : one picture where sun is clear+ another picture where rest scenery is clear= both sun and scenery clear?

17. rdb06 Froyo Dec 2, 2018

rdb06, Dec 2, 2018 :
    what u suggest to take better photos??
    one plus default camera app or Gcamport
    if Gcam is better then,

pls give me the update gcam (which I Will install)
    model OnePlus 6T

18. Murman Jelly Bean Dec 2, 2018

Murman, Dec 2, 2018 :
    Your phone has a built in HDR mode and there's lots of software for computers.

19. kaphlerisi Gingerbread Dec 2, 2018

kaphlerisi, Dec 2, 2018 :
    phone hdr preset gives limited functionality.

switching back to pc for every editing is boring and time consuming thing.

20. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 2, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Dec 2, 2018 :
    Photoshop