Advanced Photo Talk

1. script
    Nougat Moderator Feb 26, 2020

script , Feb 26, 2020 :
    Photo Talk
    Photo enthusiasts and their approach in photography

Dear photography community,

this is a project that I wanted to start for quite a while. In the early days of the photography section we had a lot of talk and communication about pictures, and how those were taken. Experienced members often helped newcomers with tips and shared their knowledge and some secrets how to improve the process of taking better pictures.

To bring that culture of communication and sharing back to life, this thread is now open.

I will invite advanced photographers of the community, on a monthly basis, to tell us all about their photography thoughts and tricks. This replaces the "old" guest hosts of the monthly thread, as the new SOOP contest is without guest hosts.

Its a great pleasure to have @B.I.T.S. as our first guest. She really has something to say, I am sure you all will love her post.

Important: please do not post any random pictures here. Of course you can ask questions to the different authors about their approach, I am looking forward to a lively exchange.

Enjoy!

Script

raghujana, NSSK, farmacon and 29 others like this.
  2. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Feb 27, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Photo Talk
    First of all, thank you @cdnfarmer and @script for inviting me to this new category! It is a great honor.

It hasn't been easy selecting just one photo to talk about it. I struggled between many, not being sure what premises to follow, and after a while digging in my archive, I found one that might not be my best, either my favorite, but it has all the things I wanted to talk about.

The Photo
    Captura de pantalla 2020-02-29 a las 12.05.37.png

Background

Since the first time I stumbled on photos of Neuschwanstein Castle, I had the need to go visit it. Even tho it is probably one of the most photographed castles around the world, I still wanted to have my own photo, that's why I intended to do something different if someday I managed to visit it.
    Spoiler alert: I did.

How it was shot

I arrived there by car, the ambient was grey and foggy and as soon as I was able to see the whole castle I stopped and shot a couple of photos. They were okay-ish, nothing special about them. Then I turned my head to the left, a crew of seagulls was approaching and I saw the photo. I framed the castle and patiently waited until the birds flew across my view and pressed the shutter.
    One simple blink, an instant that probably won't ever be repeated.

Editing

Almost always, when I see a photo (even before it's been shot), I can visualize it edited. This one wasn't an exception. I knew it had to be a black and white highly contrasted photo. The edition, for me, is always a compulsory step in the life of an image, it is part of the process of shooting, the brainy part.

Conclusion

Taking photos is not as simpler as pressing the shutter. It requires preparation, thinking, more thinking, lots of patience, perseverance, practice... and then, after all this, is when what we might call luck can happen.

Mr. BG, puma95, Anshu3110 and 18 others like this.
  3. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Mar 2, 2020

jlasensiofi , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Woooooow, what more interesting section you have put, @script :fearscream::hearteyes:

I think I will learn a lot with this post. Thanks a thousand!

4. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Mar 2, 2020

jlasensiofi , Mar 2, 2020 :

OMG, @B.I.T.S. is awesome :hearteyes:

You say ... "Almost always, when I see a photo (even before it's been shot), I can visualize it edited."

That is a terrible luck, which indicates the ability and talent you have for photography. Being as young as I am :tonguewink::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:, I hope to one day be able to have that ability.

Thanks for the post ;):)

Mr. BG, buntycubal, woSch and 7 others like this.
  5. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Mar 2, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Thank you!!

It is indeed terrible sometimes when you work for others and they don't like what you see... :rolleyes:
    But I guess is a great time saver :p

I'm sure you'll have it!! As an advise to improve it, when you take a photo think about how it'd look edited and try to reproduce it when you edit it. You'll be there in no time!!

6. jlasensiofi , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Thank you, I will try, but you know my problem of youth dementia [e]1f61c[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f44c[/e][e]1f64c[/e][e]1f44d[/e]

7. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 2, 2020

YRJ , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Its a great one script, glad that you did.
    Thats come great insight into the shooting process, bits. Great writeup :)
    About the editing part, I know you are terrific at it. I know you helped me edit a couple pictures for a contest, Spoiler alert: I won.
    Hahaha :p

Great read, keep em coming :)

8. Deactivated User
    Mar 2, 2020

Mr. BG, B.I.T.S., buntycubal and 5 others like this.

10. maarten_lisboa
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 2, 2020

maarten_lisboa , via OnePlus 6T , Mar 2, 2020 :
    I recognize myself in how you describe the process @B.I.T.S.
    I have most of the time an image in my head before I start shooting but the best moments were those unexpected situations.. Sunlight coming through the clouds after a cloudy day , birds flying by, a person walking into the frame ( yes, sometimes it's not annoying when that happens😅)..
    Pure magic I call it, maybe luck but good things come for those who wait.
    Thanks for sharing!

Talking (and reading) about photography, I like!
    I appreciate a lot the effort you put in it @script. I am not the most active person on the forum when it comes to writing but I'm reading it all.

11. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 3, 2020

G_plusone , Mar 3, 2020 :
    Nice one Captain
    Another great Photography thread ;)
    First Congratulations Bitsy
    Second Great shot
    Finally awesome narrative of the shot and also about for the tip to visualize the final shot while getting ready for the shot ;)

12. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Mar 3, 2020

TibiTibi , Mar 3, 2020 :
    @B.I.T.S. very nice intro showing that capturing a photo is simple. You just needs better imagination than the camera has. And a piece of luck of course.
    :cool:
    Because you can have the best hardware and best software but without imagination you will mostly fail to capture The Photo.

@script thank you for this opportunity.

13. Anshu3110
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 8, 2020

Anshu3110 , Mar 8, 2020 :
    This is a great initiative and it's going to benefit the community a lot. I'm really looking forward to this thread!

What a great picture, as usual, dear Bitsy! I love it! It looks like it's shot for a horror movie. :p
    Thank you for a detailed input and more about your thought process on this picture. I love it! :)

B.I.T.S., buntycubal and script like this.
  14. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 15, 2020

15. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Mar 21, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Mar 21, 2020 :
    Thank you very much my dear!! In my early days in photography, I spent hours and hours playing with editions, I edited everything just to try and experiment with new things. Now is just like breathing!

Don't forget the snow version! (My favorite). I didn't know the story about the mad king until I was there and visited it, and of course, I had to love the castle even more. Talking about mad kings... :rolleyes:;)

Thank you for your sweet words ლ(ꈍωꈍლ)

Muito obrigada!!

When you're shooting outside where you can't control all variables, is almost impossible that you get what you had in mind, but when it happens is just... Incredible. Or maybe our mind insistence makes it happen... Who knows!

Thank you very much for you words.

Thank youuuu!!

The camera is just a tool, indeed you need a brain, and lots of luck :p

Thank you!!

I love it thinking as from a horror movie!! thank you ლ(ꈍωꈍლ)

Thank you!

"Not Embracing Imperfection", this one is my favorite. All those photos that I was about to delete after taking them on the camera are usually my favorite ones after a while... Thank you my dear Squirrel Master, King of the Hoodies.

Thank you!! (If you wanna read more about photography there are many other interesting threads in the photography basement! :p)

buntycubal, script, YRJ and 2 others like this.
  16. farmacon
    Cupcake May 3, 2020

farmacon , May 3, 2020 :
    hi there,I'm new to this.
    I'm a proud owner of a 7T.....it does amazing pictures......almost same quality of my sony alpha NEX-F3......May I ask you how do you do the editing?just using the phone camera app options or by downloading data on a computer using a specific program?......
    Would you suggest/reccomend buying a spotting scope and attach it to the phone for even better pictures?
    Cheers

17. agillova
    Donut May 14, 2020

agillova , May 14, 2020 :
    what a great idea!!
    unfurtunately, I don´t have any that could be here, so pro guys
    thank you for sharing

script likes this.
  18. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow May 15, 2020

Mr. BG , May 15, 2020 :
    What I like best about this is the different approach of the subject.

Let's be honest, this world has plenty of full colour photos from Neuschwanstein in spring, a cliché travel folder explosion of blue sky, flowers and colours, postcard ready. Maybe with a happy little family in the corner.

What I enjoy is that you almost did the opposite, a dark and gloomy setting, the black and white adding to that, and then there's the light, flying away from the background with the seagulls.

I think it's quite brilliant.

It can be as simple as that, but you have to just see it, like you did. Of course you can prepare for a picture, waiting for the right time of year and weather to make that brilliant picture...

Sometimes it's enough to wait a minute, or take two or three steps in another direction, for example:
    2C1C094D-CA48-4B56-8012-3BDD3DFD3446.jpeg

This picture (not mine) could have been great if the photographer would set it up lower to the ground, so the dead tree branch would not have been over the line of the hill, but it would have been a nice contrast to the blue sky, and the outline of the hill would not have been broken.

You have to learn to see what the best point is to take a photo, or indeed, just wait for the perfect moment, like I did here...

37976149-0C69-4FED-AC72-C6CC50D994E4.jpeg

Edit: remember the rule of two thirds, and what I did there?

Last edited: May 15, 2020