Photography Challenge: Old gadgets

1. Zozo S.
    Community Intern Staff Member Nov 23, 2021

Zozo S. , Nov 23, 2021 :
    手机界爱马仕.jpg

Hi shutterbugs,

Can you believe we're a little over one month away from stepping into 2022? This photography challenge idea just slipped my mind as I'm eager to know what gadgets have accompanied you the longest.

There must be a gadget that's almost too old to be continuously used, and yet you simply can't part ways with it. Or if you're already planning to throw it away, now is the time to capture it and tell its story. At least there's one place that can keep all these memories.

Here's how to join the contest:
    • Shoot or edit photos in vintage style
    • Tell us the old gadget's story in your entry
    Challenge Rules:
    • All photos should be taken with a smartphone, regardless of the brand;
    • The photo should match the challenge's topic. Non-related pictured are not eligible to win and will be deleted according to the forum rules.
    • Any photo shared by you should be your own. Any kind of cheating will result in disqualification in the present and any future challenges.
    • Each user can post up to 3 different photos in your post.
    • While the photos are still yours, you allow OnePlus to use your photos for promotion purposes.
    About the prize
    • Different from usual, this time our prizes will be sent out according to the content in your photo, so I don't know what kind of prize you will receive.
    • 2 winners will be selected by the OnePlus team(We will judge by gadget stories and images), each winner will win a mysterious prize
    This challenge will continue until December 2, 09:00 HKT, looking forward to your photos and stories.

2. Zozo S.
    Community Intern Staff Member Dec 3, 2021 at 9:15 AM

Stickied Post

3. eddyros
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 23, 2021

eddyros , Nov 23, 2021 :
    @Zozo S. nice contest! Btw you should set years old range.

Only people know what the hell is that evil mechanism can join:
    [​IMG]

:D:D

4. McJader
    Marshmallow Nov 23, 2021

McJader , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Why do I sense a new product:rolleyes::D (or even better, an old one?)

5. Iamhasannaqvi

6. SRD.
    Lollipop Nov 23, 2021

SRD. , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Interesting contest with Mysterious prizes.

Vintage Photography Challenge,
    Posting soon.

7. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 23, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Oh well here goes, I didn't see mention that the gadget has to be working.

Here's some Samsung phones I had over the years, old hard drives too, there are more hard drives, but that's a whole other drawer.
    1637667303546.jpg
    1637667967154.jpg

From left to right Samsung S4, S5, S6 and S7. All had custom roms before they finally gave up. Though the S7 was dropped, so screen gone.
    Only the S5 works, the rest are busted or won't charge. The HD's all work, just have no use for them. But you never know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hopeless at throwing away devices. And it's cable central underneath and behind that lot and in the bigger drawer below it. Reckon I could rewire the house with all the cables. And don't get me started on the SD cards, broken USB keys etc. I guess I need a clear out. 😜

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021

8. nerdkabir
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Nov 23, 2021

Antonio_Luis, atenaa, SRD. and 2 others like this.
  9. Iamhasannaqvi

Iamhasannaqvi , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Good thing I already have the pictures ready. Here is my entry for this contest.

1) My family is in Farming from generations. I have seen many farming equipments since my childhood. All the equipments with their unique uses amazed me when I was little and still amazes me. I have rode a bullock cart and I've driven a tractor too. As a kid I used to ride bullocks for farming purposes and now that time has changed everyone has switched to Tractors. Now When I see that someone has bullock cart I don't miss a chance to ride it for a while.
    Now to the story of the picture below. It is Eicher Good Good Earth 241 and it is 1989 model. We have this with us for a long time and the great thing about it is, that it's still working after all these years. The interesting thing is that it does not start with a key. To start this Tractor you have to have good strength as you will have to start it by moving a handle clockwise and voila it is up and running.
    IMG_20210311_133858_001.jpg

2) How about some vintage music! In our farm house we have this vintage gramophone record player. It is not working but it adds a vintage vibe to our farm house. Similar as our old tractor I've witnessed presence of this gramophone since I was little.

When I was little my grandfather used to play records on this wonderful gramophone. I recall somewhat process of how it worked but it's blurry now.
    IMG_20210317_002527_001.jpg

10. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Nov 23, 2021

DarshanMeniya , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Thank you for coming up with awesome contest, looking forward to see great entries and i will be also try to post some shots!

11. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Nov 23, 2021

12. philos64
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 23, 2021

philos64 , Nov 23, 2021 :
    I'm sure some people will find old, older objects as old as some of our famous members (I'm not naming names, but some will recognise themselves) :D:p:D:p
    Thanks @Zozo S. for this interesting contest ;):)

13. Technical SuranaJi

Technical SuranaJi , via OnePlus Nord 2 Blue Haze , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Thank you for the Contest @Zozo S.
    Here are some of my gadgets which is very old but its close to my heart so I won't be throwing it away

1637681835390.jpg
    (1) This is my Father's camera, this has a special place in my heart. He used to tell stories how he saved money from his salary to buy it. He brought it in the late 90s. He than gifted this to my mother when he got married. This camera has a special place in his heart. This camera uses film rolls which then needed to be converted into normal photos, also my father has a lot of these rolls but he never uses it.

1637681814471.jpg
    (2) This was my first gaming console from Yinlips which my father gave me on my 4th Birthday...from then its 15 years and I haven't thrown it away. Whenever I see this I used to remember my childhood when there was no pressure of studies, I came from school and start playing on it, games like Super Mario, Contra and many more which I used to play on it. It has a special place in my heart.

1637681858629.jpg
    (3) This is Lenovo's Walkman cum pendrive, which my father gifted my elder brother on his 8th Birthday. Its about 26 years still it works, although mobile phones have replaced all these, but the happiness in listening songs from this is cannot be compared with mobile phones. My brother used to flex it by taking it everywhere he went, he used to take it to the bathroom also sometimes and at night he kept it near his pillow. Once I remember he cried as he wanted to take it to his school and show it to his friends, but it was not allowed in school.

That's all from my side. Hope you all enjoyed it.
    Also thank you @Zozo S. again for this wonderful contest, all my past memories are refreshed.

Attached Files:

14. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 23, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Love the way you say uses film roll...converted into "normal" photos. To me normal photos are the hard copy photos that were produced from the negatives in these older cameras. jpg images would be the newer format for me. Used Normal Cameras for decades before buying a digital 2.1 megapixel Sony camera back in 2002. Long gone now.
    Used this Brownie model 127 for years, this is a stock photo for clarity. Mine is no longer around.
    1637684099275.jpg
    Took great shots, had to wind on the film manually though. Then the 3 days for processing in the pharmacy, then finding only half the photos were any good. Photographers fault, not the camera.
    Great to see you still have those items though. 👍

15. Technical SuranaJi

Technical SuranaJi , via OnePlus Nord 2 Blue Haze , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Thank you...
    Old cameras give a different level of vibe, seeing the pictures taken from those gives immense level of joy.

16. Antonio_Luis
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Nov 23, 2021

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Nov 23, 2021 :
    I love this challenge because it encompasses so much of what makes us who we are and why so many of us are part of this community. We all started somewhere and we all found our love for technology and eventually community at different times. I'm going to use this photography challenge to not only show off some of my cool old stuff, but give a brief history of myself along with it. I hope I don't bore you all too much lol.
    1637682890351.jpg
    I'd like to share a photo of my one of a kind, clear Sidekick/Hiptop 2. This device is literally one of a kind. I'm not just saying that. The clear shell is 1/100, only released to employees. The lens over the LCD screen was only released in Australia. The orange bumpers were limited edition sold only at the initial release and the Danger lanyard were only given away during promotions in very limited quantity. The story behind how I put this together spans a few years and was pieced together little by little.
    From 2006-2009 I was a contributing member of the Sidekick/Hiptop community forums known as "Powder By Danger". I use to beta test games and apps on the devices before they were released to the public through the download catalogue. Yes.... These phones had an app store before Apple and Google. By contributing through the community forums and expressing my genuine love for the devices I became friends with many developers and employees that I still speak to to this day. When the company was purchased by Microsoft and eventually scrapped, a lot of the employees wanted to get rid of all their Sidekick/Hiptop/Danger stuff and I was someone they reached out to. They knew I loved my Sidekicks so they sent me whatever they had. To my surprise, one of the employees sent me a clear hiptop 2 shell. said:
    I didn't have a Sidekick 2, so I had to go out and get one. I went to my local cellphone store and got a used one on the cheap. The phone was all beat up but I didn't care because I was going to change the outside anyway lol. After I put my clear shell on my SK2, I posted the pictures on Myspace..... Yes... I said Myspace 😂. Another employee hit me up and told me that they had orange bumpers for it and they'll send them to me. So that's how I got the orange bumpers.
    A few years later, I was walking around my neighborhood and I saw in the window of a cellphone store, a brand new, in the box, unopened, an Australian Hiptop 2. I worked my magic on the salesman and I was able to get that phone off his hands for $50 lol. I purchased the phone, just to get that Hiptop lens for the screen because it said Hiptop in orange and it matched the orange bumpers and the accent colors in the keyboard.
    I was so excited about this that I eventually posted pictures of it on Facebook, yes....we were finally in the Facebook era at this point lol. Since I was still friends with people that worked for the company, one of the original forum moderators saw the picture and he was impressed that I not only still had the phone, but that I was still actively collecting things for it. He asked me for my address and wouldn't say why. A few months later I got a package with a bunch of swag, and in there was the Danger lanyard.
    1637684458369.jpg
    My collection was finally complete. I now had the most ultimate Sidekick/Hiptop2 device of all time lol. A clear shell only given to employees, with limited edition bumpers, a hiptop screen from Australia and a danger lanyard 😍.
    This device for me means so much because it represents more than just my love for technology, but it represents the power of a community and the life long bonds that can be created through a community forum. It's been over 15 years since I joined that community and I still talk to and speak to the friends I've made on there. In some crazy way..... That was how and why I found and got involved in this community. Sidekicks = Andy Rubin, Andy Rubin = Android, Android = XDA, XDA = CyanogenMod, CyanogenMod = OnePlus, and that's where I am, and how I got here.
    1637685106014.jpg
    That's the story of this gadget and why it means so much to me and why I had to share it and this story. My love for tech communities from back then, lead me here and I'm so happy that we have this community because connecting with people and making friendships keeps me going. When those forums and that company disappeared, I didn't think I would find anything like it again. Then I found OnePlus and the rest is history.

17. pkg3107
    Jelly Bean Nov 23, 2021

pkg3107 , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Nice challenge... Maybe will try posting something if I find some ✨
    Some classic photos are a surety in the thread 👍

Navdeep_Malik likes this.
  18. Himanshu.Behera

Himanshu.Behera , via OnePlus Nord , Nov 23, 2021 :
    One of the oldest gadgets that I have is this 👇
    1637691098234.jpg
    After reading the thread, the 1st gadget that came in my mind was My Father's Camera. It is a Kodak KB 10 35mm Point & Shoot Film Camera. I remember from my childhood I have seen this camera in operation. So it is almost over 25 years. Still in superb condition. Hats Off to my Dad. He kept it in such a perfect condition. said:

1637691636778.jpg
    This camera still works but the only thing which stops it from capturing pictures is the negative roles. Those are not available easily in the market. And even if the roles are managed, the conversion into photos is a challenge. But still a special one for me and my family.
    This is the perfect vintage gadget that I have 📷.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021

19. haildarkseid
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2021

20. Macobra87
    Honeycomb Nov 23, 2021

Macobra87 , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Nov 23, 2021 :
    1637695077874.jpg
    These are my oldest memories of escaping the real life. My old friends. Helped me to stay inside more xD. Without these i would had to play outside with real people.
    1637694029913.jpg

21. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Community Expert Nov 23, 2021

Liehjan , Nov 23, 2021 :
    The year is 2007, and all teenage kids wished for this gadget as a Christmas gift. Yes, I was one of those teenage kids :p

IMG20211123212150.jpg