Theme Photostory: Show your hobbies or passions in 8 pictures

1. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 25, 2018

cdnfarmer , Sep 25, 2018 :
    Hi, I am cdnfarmer from Canada.

I have a farm and want to show you my work, which is also my passion. While I was preparing this thread, the idea came up to ask all of you: what is your passion? What do you love to do? Would you like to show it to the community? Hence, with @script ‘s help, this theme thread was created.

Over the years, members have contributed many interesting thoughts, ideas, and pictures. Recently, @Ruby G. hosted the Let’s Talk series. Building on the success of the Let’s Talk series and with Ruby’s support, I proposed the idea of combining photography and writing skills in this “Photostory: Show us your passions in 8 pictures.”

This is an opportunity to learn about the many passions that we have in the community and to share interesting facts and stories about your non technology passions or hobbies. In what are you interested: travelling, old cars, trains, arts, cooking, photography, science, farming or...? Please join us. Write a short story along with 8 pictures to share your passion or convey interesting facts.

Here is how:
    • In this thread, write a short story (under 350 words) about your passion or hobby and include relevant pictures (max 8) taken with an OP product.

• This is a non tech talk. There are other threads that could be used for technology discussions.
    By participating, you will gain knowledge, perhaps meet new people with similar interests, and learn something new about a fellow community member.

Look forward to reading about your passions.

Cheers, cdnfarmer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

2. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 25, 2018

cdnfarmer , Sep 25, 2018 :
    Have you ever wondered what it is like to be a farmer during harvest (one of the busiest times of year)? We have a small mixed farm (grain and livestock). For this story, I will focus on harvesting barley.

After several months of the seeds growing into the plants then maturing, it is time to harvest the crop. Here is the crop as it progressed through the season. cropfieldprogression.jpg
    In our area and with the small farm (160 acres or 64.75 hectors), we use a swather. It cuts down the crop and puts it into rows or swaths. IMG_20180906_153513_001_001_001.jpg (View through the swather's header. Notice the swath in the top left corner).

Sometimes, the crop can sit there for days or weeks to mature or dry while other times the combine follows the swather.

The pick up on the header of the combine literally picks up the swath and feeds it into the machine which is then thrashed to separate the grain from the stock (stem). The grain collects in the hopper IMG_20180906_164922__01_001_001.jpg (Front camera facing towards the back of the combine to capture the view of grains in the hopper and the reflection of what is ahead of the combine.)

The stock or straw is either pushed out the back for baling or chopped up and spread onto the field. When the hopper is full, the combine unloads into the grain truck. IMG_20180906_170005__01_002_001.jpg

Then the combine returns to the field and repeats the process. Once the grain truck is full, it empty its load into an auger that pushes the grain into the top of the bin. IMG_20180906_162339_001_001.jpg

Meanwhile, someone else can drive a tractor with baler and make straw bales. Another person can group bales then load them onto a trailer and bring them to their storage destinations. It is a nice system when all the necessary equipment are in the field and working together. IMG_20180906_163914_001_002.jpg

Interesting facts: Did you notice the dust in the picture of the combine unloading the grain into the truck? And importantly in the last picture, did you see the rolls of paper towels and spray? These are very important tools because keeping the front window clean from the grain dust and debris helps ensure that the right amount of crop enters at the right speed and help spot rocks or other debris that could cause havoc.

Some days can be very long especially when the weather is nice and we try to get as much of the crop into the bin. In the field above, we had 3-5 people working equipment. The forecast said snow in 3 days... Yes, we had snow on September 12th. This type of weather makes it difficult to get the crop off the field and why there are long days and nights when the weather is good.

3. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 26, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Great idea!!!
    This is going to be fun!!
    @cdnfarmer you already know what's my passion :p

4. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Sep 26, 2018

woSch, varma246, hennes and 9 others like this.
  5. NeVeR_SeTTLe

What passions can you absolutely have? :p NONE! This thread is not meant for you :p

jlasensiofi, woSch, TibiTibi and 6 others like this.
  6. FlixbusLennart

FlixbusLennart , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Sir when is the Pie coming for OnePlus 3?

JK, here are the 3 things that I care about most :)

[​IMG]

First off, motorbikes and motorsport in general. Back in the days, my dad used to watch MotoGP and Formula 1 with me, sometimes waking up at 6am just to not miss one of the races... We both lost interest in F1 and MotoGP over the years, but with recent social media activities of F1, I regained interest in the sport. I go karting myself from time to time. It's hard to even keep the 80kph kart under control, and you're exhausted after 40 minutes of racing. Just the idea of doing this at 300kph for 2 hours straight, with 100x the horse power, is enough to make me a fan. Seriously, there's so much to Formula 1 that you can only grasp when you invest a bit of time. :) The image above is one that I took 1 year ago with a OnePlus 3, I think. I love the reflections on the track and it was a great racing day, too! Here's an image of the AVUS in Berlin, a 15km straight of Autobahn. Dozens of years ago, cars used to race on that track. Now, it's my daily commute to and from university. There is not much remaining of the track though, as it has always been a normal road which would then be prepared for cars to race on it, occasionally.

[​IMG]

Also, I went to work at the time when I went to school. 2 years of work paid off and I got me a nice 125cc bike back then. It's just a small bike and struggles when there's even slight wind, but it saves me a lot of time in the city... So I keep it and enjoy the freedom. That's the most expensive thing that I've ever bought and I'm glad that I did, hehe.

[​IMG]

The second thing is food. Seriously, when there's one thing that has the ability to unite the world, it's food. Cooking yourself, or being cooked for - it doesn't really make a difference. Food is a relatively cheap way to try out new stuff, be spontaneous and just have a good time with a lot of people. I have a theory that people who invest time in food are more sincere human beings. It's such an important part of life (you'd die if you didn't eat...) and it's worth to care about what you're eating instead of being stuck with the same lame type of food everyday. Sure, when you're working a lot, you might not have the time to make every meal a masterpiece. But there's always a spot to fill with a nice dish. That being said, taking pictures of food is the worst thing that people do. That's why I'll just post an image of the street where some great restaurants are located in my city. :)

[​IMG]

The other big thing is restricted by weather, unfortunately. Snowboarding and the mountains! I'll just let the images speak for themselves. It's a thing that my dad brought to me when I was a child and right now, my sister, aged 3 years, is preparing to learn how to ski, too. I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the images here are taken with either a OnePlus 3, 5 or 6 and most of them are adjusted with Snapseed or Lightroom.

@cdnfarmer that's a cool thread! Makes the forums feel more positive and personal, also allows us to learn more about things that we do not have any clue about. Thanks for that! Enjoy your day. :)

7. dreamfalcon
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

dreamfalcon , Sep 26, 2018 :
    My main two hobbies are Bonsai and Carnivorous Plants.
    Here are some of the many I grow.

Apple tree
    1537951714331.jpg

Pinus
    1537951714520.jpg

Pomegranate
    1537951714721.jpg

Juniper
    1537951714857.jpg

Dionea
    1537951956675.jpg

Nepenthes
    1537951956753.jpg

Sarracenia
    1537951956958.jpg

Nepenthes
    1537951957131.jpg

Edit :
    https://www.bonsaiempire.com is a good place to get information about Bonsai.

Attached Files:

8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Sep 26, 2018

Bouncer71, woSch, varma246 and 5 others like this.
  9. adrnjgr

adrnjgr , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Oh, these are so nice! I've always liked bonsai, never actually did anything about it, though. I just might. Do you have any beginner resources to follow? :)

10. dreamfalcon
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

Bouncer71, woSch, adrnjgr and 4 others like this.
  11. meatandy
    Oreo Sep 26, 2018

meatandy , Sep 26, 2018 :
    I am patiently waiting for a picture of a random farm girl in one of your stories. :hearteyes::D
    What a nice idea for a thread .

12. meatandy
    Oreo Sep 26, 2018

meatandy , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Could you add that link to your original post ?
    Just hit the edit button and the edit content box will appear.

Bouncer71, jlasensiofi, woSch and 5 others like this.
  13. RistoEe
    Honeycomb Sep 26, 2018

RistoEe , Sep 26, 2018 :
    My passions and hobbies are mtb/downhill and photography and most of the times I don't have my DSLR with me, so the OnePlus have to do to job most of the times. And I have to say, I'm quite impressed how well OnePlus is. Here's some of the shots I've taken with my phone, and yes, most of them is retouched with LR app because part of me just can't publish a photo without adjusting levels etc o_O It's just the part of photography.

LRM_EXPORT_67363346703467_20180904_204419759.jpeg Screenshot_20180926-140445__01.jpg Screenshot_20180926-140501__01.jpg Screenshot_20180926-140514__01.jpg Screenshot_20180926-140602__01.jpg Screenshot_20180926-140826__01.jpg
    This is actually my very first shot of snow flakes, ever. And taken with OnePlus.

Screenshot_20180926-140854__01__01.jpg

14. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2018

cdnfarmer , Sep 26, 2018 :
    . Nice , bike.Thanks, you just taught me about the AVUS.
    Beautiful mountain pictures! No wonder it's a place that speaks to you. I too love the mountains. Ironically, I love to cross country ski in the mountains. o_O
    Thanks for your kind words and excellent post @FlixbusLennart. That is the goal. You too have a good day.

woSch, G_plusone, script and 2 others like this.
  15. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2018

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful plants. Great job on growing the Bonsai and carnivorous plants.

16. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2018

Hope that you find interesting information and pursue it. Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

woSch and script like this.
  17. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2018

Which one :cool:? JK
    look forward to it.

Thanks

hmmm. I'll see what I can do. Right now it's a wait and see. ;)
    Thanks.

18. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Hahaha.....you kidder you! :p I'll post something later.

woSch and cdnfarmer like this.
  19. hennes
    Lollipop Sep 26, 2018

hennes , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Great idea, great pictures and that from the country where I was allowed to live and work for more than 1 year and where I always like to return to.
    Thank you for these wonderful impressions from your passion, you made your hobby to your profession and it fills your life.

Thank you....

By the way good morning to you... ;)

otto2, woSch, TibiTibi and 3 others like this.
  20. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2018

Good afternoon. ;) Thank you. I'm still learning every day. IImust admit that it took me a couple of decades to get to here. :). The is something serene about being in the country.

I couldn't have made this thread without your app YaImCo! It's a great piece of software. Even though the limits say 10MB, it doesn't upload bigger than 2.

Where was your favourite place when you were in Canada?

Cheers

otto2, woSch, hennes and 2 others like this.