Discussion Picture quality

1. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Mar 1, 2019

01baftb , Mar 1, 2019 :
    Firstly, I don't understand why you moved my post from Shot on OnePlus March thread which was listed as #9 post to this thread. Is OnePlus embarrassed about the camera issue and wants to continue being quiet on the issue even after 9 months of the issue being reported and many users of the OnePlus community agreeing to it?

Secondly, the example pictures you linked to are "dynamic" pictures. These dynamic pictures are of oceans, flowers, landscapes which don't have a standard method for reproducibility, or a method to quantify or judge the "quality" of those pictures. The focusing issue I have reported is very reproducible and I have outline those methods with detailed comparisons. The focusing issue I have reported are clearly visible and agreed upon by tens/hundreds of users in the OnePlus community... I just a "hobby" photographers, so I guess my opinions don't matters, but I have provided concrete repeatable proof that show that OnePlus 6 has focusing issues. Maybe you can even consider opinion of a "professional" photographer who has reviewed OnePlus 6 camera:

You mention that "many photographers can take very good pictures with OnePlus phones"... How do you define "good" pictures? Who qualifies them to be a "good" or "professional" photographers? Just because someone can take pictures followed by addition of post processed filters doesn't justify them to those users being "good" photographers or having "good pictures"...

In regards to your comments about "90 % of the users have problems, just 90% of the users in your thread". Maybe the mods and OnePlus employees really need to take their time reading the posts in the forums and really listen to their community. In the thread I posted, and numbers other threads, many users have complained about camera related issues. I have come across multiple people in my daily lives that use OnePlus 6 or OnePlus 6T and have mentioned they do noticed blurry photos from the camera. Unfortunately most of these users are not "tech" enthusiastic and don't have accounts on the OnePlus forums to voice their opinions...

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-6-camera-takes-blurry-and-noisy-pictures.864226/

2. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 1, 2019

Baymax , Mar 1, 2019 :
    Please understand that you have the wrong idea here. OnePlus is not trying to suppress over being embarrassed.

It was moved from that thread because Shot on OnePlus March is for sharing photos and not issues you are having with the camera.

If 90% of users are having trouble with blurry photos then I guess I am one of the 10%.

But also keep in mind that 219 people said they were having problems and that is a very small fraction of the whole number of users on this forum.

Bouncer71 and script like this.
  3. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 1, 2019

script , Mar 1, 2019 :
    The shot on OnePlus March thread is dedicated only to post pictures for the contest.

Again, I and everybody else, can see many very good pictures in the monthly threads.

I don´t know why some pictures are blurry or washed out. When I take pics, most of them are sharp. Sometimes i post process them, to get more vibrant colors. I never use HDR or HQ or any beauty mode.

Bouncer71 and Baymax like this.
  4. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 1, 2019

Baymax , Mar 1, 2019 :
    Possibly the camera glass needs cleaning?

Bouncer71 likes this.
  5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Mar 2, 2019

Bouncer71 , Mar 2, 2019 :
    I followed his thread at the beginning...
    It was somehow similar to yours, when we, @Punk_69 and others tried to get behind the mysterious oil paint effect... ;D

They used a procedure of a tutorial for testing Autofocus on DSLRs...
    Unfortunately they didn't stick to the basic guidelines..

Like using a tripod, ISO 100 and good lighting...

Didn't take long to evolve into a typical complaining, nagging and bragging thread not proving anything... 8(

Baymax and script like this.
  6. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Mar 2, 2019

01baftb , Mar 2, 2019 :
    I am sorry if I came out rude, but over the past 8 months I have been very patient.

I simply request you to "objectively" test the camera quality of your OnePlus 6 or OnePlus 6T instead of depending on "subjective" options if a picture is a good or bad. The reason why I propose an reproducible testing method is because opinions of a picture being good or bad is very "subjective" and every person will have different opinions. Ultimately I am NOT complaining about poor quality of pictures in terms of sharpness or color quality. What I am complaining about is a "poor focusing". The reason why I initally investagted the focusing issue was because after purchasing OnePlus 6, I often second guessed the quality of pictures. Every time I went to my album and looked the shots I took in the past, I noticed the pictures looked blurrier than what I recall when I took the picture. Therefore I ended up objectively investigating the focusing issue. Also I have met multiple people that use OnePlus 6/6T that do NOT have OnePlus forum account and have complained to me about similar issues.

I encourage you to print out two test subjects as listed below and take pictures of them with your OnePlus 6/6T. Feel free to use a tripod, or any other camera setting. I kept my camera settings as default.

Glass is clean. The issue is NOT with the glass. I never laid a finger print on the glass the moment I opened the OnePlus 6 from new box.

Please go ahead and use a tripod yourself along with ISO 100 and report back with sample pictures....

7. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 3, 2019

Baymax , Mar 3, 2019 :
    I did something similar in a thread earlier on.
    It was more about figuring out the reason behind the oil painting effect on older devices. I had a theory that it was because of compression. But it was changed in the OP6. I would gladly grab a tripod and take some photos. I don't see why ISO 100 is required though. In the wrong light, ISO 100 will completely blow out the image ending up with the blurry photo which you have been talking about.

script and Bouncer71 like this.
  8. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 3, 2019

Baymax , Mar 3, 2019 :
    Well. I went ahead and did an ISO 100 just without the tripod since I am at dinner.
    [​IMG]
    But as you see I am in the wrong lighting. It is important to have the lighting correct with any photo you take. So I don't recommend ISO 100 unless the lighting fits what you are taking a photo of.

script likes this.
  9. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Mar 3, 2019

Bouncer71 , Mar 3, 2019 :
    Sorry but you're referring to a setup for a DSLR Autofocus test that clearly states to have proper lighting and ISO set to 100...
    Screenshot_20190303-095824.jpg

Screenshot_20190303-095906.jpg

I've said that over and over again...
    Follow your own advise...

I'm questioning the methods used.
    I can't falsify them because I have a OP3 and a OP3T...
    You have to do it....

For The OP3 I already did and posted it in your thread...
    No one is listening....

exactly what I mean...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019

Baymax and script like this.
  10. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 3, 2019

Baymax and Bouncer71 like this.
  11. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2019

01baftb , Mar 5, 2019 :
    What is the purpose of taking a picture of a soda/beer can? This is considered a "dynamic" picture. There is no objective method to reproduce this image nor an objective method to determine if the picture suffers from blurry/focusing issue. The captured image clearly shows portion of subject out of focus, but this expected because you capture the subject (beer can) so up close. There is a limited depth of focus, thus resulting in the bookeh effect. You need to print out a focusing chart as I reference and capture an image of that when it is laid flat against a surface...

You keep getting stuck on the idea that guide is only for DSLR camera and you must use ISO of 100, trippod, manual mode, etc... You don't understand the main gist of the that article and fundamentally what it is trying to convey.

I am no expert but I do have basic fundamental understanding of optical lens design, optics, camera, and image processing.... The core issue with OnePlus 6/6T is that they seem to keep producing non-unformly blurry images, which I THINK are related to post-image processing. The viewfinder shows the images to be in perfect focus, however, after capturing the image, it is blurry. Take a look at the example I have show below, where in the viewfinder, the image is clearly in focus, but the capture image is blurry near the top region... In addition, how do you justify OnePlus 6 taking blurry pictures compared to OnePlus One? Given the specs of OnePlus One camera, we all know that OnePlus 6 camera is much better... Then why is it that OnePlus 6 takes blurry pictures??? Obliviously either its something related to hardware (optics) or the software (post-processing). I think it is the software thats the issue since people have reported that GCAM port has produced better images compared to OP Default Camera app... The main point is that OnePlus 6/6T suffers from BLURRY and FOCUSING issue and NOT image quality issue such as color, dynamic range, exposure, contrast....

Many users will argue you have to use a certain ISO or aperture to get avoid the blurry pictures... However, why is a "layman" user to burdened to play around with manual settings... Can't a layman user expect auto mode to capture decent quality pictures? If they have fudge around with settings just avoid blurry pictures, then might as well just go use an iPhone or Samsung....

@script I really think you need to spend sometime reading the comments in the Ask our Software Team: Part 3 – Camera . There are many users that have complained about the issues I have complained about. You can't have smoke without the fire...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Mar 5, 2019

Bouncer71 , Mar 5, 2019 :
    What now...?

Yes,.the method mentioned in the article can be used for every camera. Why do you think he's testing that way...?
    A DSLR has better optics and Camera sensor but still he's using a tripod, ISO 100 and perfect lighting...
    And I won't explain again why a preview image of a 16MP sensor scaled down to 1080p can seem to be sharper than the actual shot....

Baymax likes this.
  13. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 5, 2019

Baymax , Mar 5, 2019 :
    I'm afraid I don't get your point bud.
    Yes it is a beer can.
    Why would I need a focusing chart?
    Why does it matter that I captured up close?
    Your Jimmy John's chip bag and keyboard are also dynamic pictures.

I was only following the instructions you gave except without a tripod.
    As a result. The beer can is what I took and uploaded. Also gave my conclusion.
    So again I'm afraid I don't get your point here.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  14. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Mar 10, 2019

01baftb , Mar 10, 2019 :

We can sit here and argue for months on my objective approach to proving the blurring camera issue. We will go no where... However, I think the most important take away here is to listen to the many other users in the forum. Many users have complained about the blurry camera issue. A simple read through the Ask our Software Team: Part 3 – Camera thread will give you an gist of the pain and sufferings of many users about OnePlus 6 and 6T camera. I have a friend that works at T-Mobile who also mentioned that many customers have returned their OnePlus 6T with complains about the camera... Unfortunately, T-Mobile employees can't officially say anything negative about any of their phones... To make situation worse, I doubt OnePlus would even care because they already have their foot into a market where they can achieve large sales revenue through in store sales...

I am a big supporter of OnePlus and have been here since the original release of OnePlus One... OnePlus strongly believes in listening to their users...However, in my opinion, it seems in the recent months they have forgotten their core values and have NOT listen to their users. Despite many users complaining about the OnePlus 6 blurry camera issue, nothing is being done to fix it... I hope influences in the OnePlus community such as @script and @Ruby G. can bring awareness to the issue to the dev team...