Picture Style User Preferences Survey

1. OverDrive H. Camera PM Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jun 20, 2019

OverDrive H., Jun 20, 2019 :
    Hi everyone,

I'm OverDrive Huang, the camera product manager of OnePlus Product team. I joined OnePlus in 2018, and have been working with @Jimmy Z. ever since. I like photography (I'm still an amateur photographer), cycling and racing simulator in my free time. It's great to join this lovely community and nice to meet you all!

Following Jimmy's previous survey and to collect your preferences about picture style in multiple scenarios, we'd like to invite you to finish this new, more thorough survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2W9ZQL6

This survey contains lots of images (more than 100MB), and it may take you a while to load. We suggest that you do it while connected to a stable WIFI network and maybe when you're seated with a cup of coffee in front of you. :D

2. mayank020 Eclair Jun 20, 2019

mayank020, Jun 20, 2019 :
    @OverDrive H.

Isn't this an incorrect way of judging the quality of an image? Unless one knows how the scene looked through his eyes in reality how can he really say which image is better? A good image is not just what looks good but also one which closely resembles the actual reality.

A punchy, shiny and clear image is always preferred but not when those things are far from what the actual scene is. If the tuning is being solely done based on the blind tests then I believe it'll lead to more artificial looking images. I've already seen how OnePlus camera modifies the skin color tone currently. It just changes how the skin actually looks in reality.

3. Arkchat921 Donut Jun 20, 2019

Arkchat921, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Completed the survey.. Thanks One Plus Team. But I am still waiting for the wide angle videography.

mattlucas and HardstylerDK like this.
  4. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 20, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Funny, last week, I got a ticket for Overhung Driving

5. Aadeshc Froyo Jun 20, 2019

Rishabh_Agrawal_1Plus likes this.
  6. OverDrive H. Camera PM Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jun 20, 2019

Hello, mayank020, thanks for your suggestion! the reason why I made this choice is list below:

1, With tons of images circulating around the Internet, what people will see is the images separated from its original scenes.

2, Fidelity is a key factor when you assess a capture device, not a photo. fidelity has nothing to do with whether a photo is good or bad. Just think about the B&W photos shown by Magnum: Trent Park

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photography has been utilized in these ways, and perceived as a tool of accurate and objective documentation, because of its inextricable connection to the real world: light-sensitive film records what is before the camera’s lens. Generations of photographers have used the camera for this end, even as many of them acknowledge that their images are not fixed statements of fact but, rather, that they may be read and interpreted in many different ways.

For more information you might interest in:

https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/photography
    https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/photography/the-photographic-record
    https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/photography/photography-as-witness

========

For artificial looking images, we are trying to improve that, making images straight of our camera in a more natural way.

Thanks again.

OverDrive

7. OverDrive H. Camera PM Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jun 20, 2019

I did some search and it is Overhang Driving right? looks interesting..

8. B1560530162014 Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

B1560530162014, Jun 20, 2019 :
    it was a great survey, although I wished there were people in some of the photos since skin tones kinda weird on the op7p's camera.Thank you for asking for feedback and listening to the community even tho sometimes it might appear as whining. Never settle.

9. Eslavath_Roshan Honeycomb Jun 20, 2019

10. Ledeni24 Froyo Jun 20, 2019

Djordje D likes this.
  11. davide2786 Froyo Jun 20, 2019

12. OverDrive H. Camera PM Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jun 20, 2019

Android450, otto2 and David Y. like this.
  13. G_Rahul_K_kcOW Cupcake Jun 20, 2019

G_Rahul_K_kcOW, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Kudos to OnePlus team!
    Together we will certainly beat Pixel's photo quality and iPhone's video quality one day.

Never Settle.

14. elanglois Lollipop Jun 20, 2019

elanglois, Jun 20, 2019 :
    You mean Hungover, you can never be Overhung!

nateavi likes this.
  15. Djordje D Gingerbread Jun 20, 2019

Djordje D, Jun 20, 2019 :
    OverDrive H.

For artificial looking images, we are trying to improve that, making images straight of our camera in a more natural way.

Thanks again.

OverDrive

Great survey @OverDrive H. I appreciate your hard work with camera. In my opinion that's the weakest part of the otherwise amazing phone. Since the hardware isn't the problem I really believe camera will be greatly improved in the future updates.

Here are the biggest problems with camera in my opinion:
    1. Bad overall clarity and details preserving (Painting effect is still noticable)
    2. Skin tones aren't natural. Some kind of pre-applied filter is noticable
    3. Faces in the portrait mode aren't sharp at all. I was surprised when found out portrait photos from OnePlus 6 or even OnePlus 5 looked better.
    4. Lenses have different color sciences
    5. Shutter lag can be reduced.
    6. Auto focus is struggling a lot in some situations.

Thanks again for the survey, looking forward to new camera updates. Keep up the good work! Cheers [e]1f37b[/e]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019

16. JelleZon KitKat Jun 20, 2019

JelleZon, Jun 20, 2019 :
    people will always prefer more saturated and boosted pictures.

even if it doesn't reflect the reality for 100%

17. irfanmoosani Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2019

irfanmoosani, Jun 20, 2019 :
    @OverDrive H. It was a difficult one. I am an amateur mobile photographer. I prefer more details in photographs.
    Few of the images were showing sparkles on light but were not looking natural compared to the other alternates. Few alternates were a little more exposed which were not appealing to eyes.

I imagine that designing such detailed surveys and analysing them requires a lot of effort.
    Thanks to your entire team for conducting such surveys for product betterment

superplus and Djordje D like this.
  18. 777SAO Eclair Jun 20, 2019

777SAO, Jun 20, 2019 :
    shame there was no portrait pictures... as that is also a weak point of the processing. But it's great to see 1+ doing these surveys, even if we can't zoom, enlarge or see full resolution of the pictures. I had a hard time sometimes looking for the details. But i kept the 20sec max rule...

Abhay Gaikwad and Djordje D like this.
  19. eye842 Lollipop Jun 20, 2019

eye842, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Done! Sometimes a picture not showing how the real world looks like is better to look at. Vivid foliage is always pleasing the eye but rarely shows the truth.

20. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread Jun 21, 2019