Picture Style User Preferences Survey

1. dharani811
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

dharani811 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Never, that's not gonna happen. Apple and google know what they're doing , exactly and precisely know what they're doing. And iPhone has been doing hardware based ISP for over a very long time. OnePlus has to pull off a miracle or do time travel to catch up with Apple and Google.

hoosieradam likes this.
  2. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

hoosieradam , Jun 21, 2019 :
    I'm considering either trying a trade in or selling my phone. this is a deal breaker for me.

3. dharani811
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

dharani811 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    just hang on for another month, OnePlus might improve camera with s/w update. The camera hardware is very much capable but the post-processing really sucks.

hoosieradam likes this.
  4. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

I want to be patient, but to change things so drastically doesn't give me hope. I've had several phones with instant filter options like "vivid" so if you want that color pop, you get it instantly. Instead, we need to go back and manually fix any picture that is noticably off.

I don't have faith in a company so quick to abandon something that works because people want an effect instead. While the initial post gives me hope they are rethinking their position, the way they're doing it is off base.

Why ask me which pictures are more pleasing? Why not make a poll about features?

Do you want realistic color and lighting?
    Would you like the ability to quickly enhance it?

Those are the sorts of questions that should be asked.

5. mayank020
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

mayank020 , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Let's not rush into the the judgement.

Until Google had released Pixel, nobody really thought that iPhone could be beaten by anyone in its camera quality. Just in a few years, Huawei also started producing night images which raised the bar even higher.

Till the last year, the OnePlus' expertise lied in the performance and its software. This time they added display and the haptic feedback to their expertise list. I hope the camera will be the next on their list and since nowadays camera is more about software than the hardware, one can expect that the improvement will be available for all models.

TGardner and irfanmoosani like this.
  6. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

I appreciate their focus, but it's been my experience so far they took something perfect and broke it.

To see a phone take a picture that is perfectly true to life was amazing. Was. That's gone.

If I see some sort of acknowledgement by them, that would be helpful. Instead I'm seeing a survey that is showing us random pictures and asking what we like.

If I'm stuck with this thing, then I guess I'm stuck. If the camera app were bad and they were working to fix it, I would agree with you. To me, they did the opposite. I went from apple to Android because of how bad the user experience became. While my cheap Moto wasn't great for games, the camera wasn't bad, given that it was a budget phone. I expect more from a flagship.

Abhay Gaikwad likes this.
  7. Meister_Eder
    Donut Jun 21, 2019

Meister_Eder , Jun 21, 2019 :
    The wonkey bad noise reduction from the current camera is most often visible. What bothers me in this survey is that especially for the indoor pictures, colour-wise I prefer the one with horrendous noise reduction + too much clarity + too much sharpening vs the too cool ones, but those are otherwise excellent how I would want them. It shows OnePlus can absolutely do great camera software. It's just that the userbase that will take this survey on their small smartphone screen is much bigger and my hopes are low.

Why don't we just get different configuration options? I can configure my GCam port however I see fit, why not include advanced settings for the pro users in the stock camera as well? You could satisfy everybody instead of angering a considerable amount of people regardless of what you do.

8. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

THIS. I'm going to try to reset my white balance at some point to see if it helps. Indoor shots are truly terrible.

Adding any effect will always reduce other elements. Let the user decide.

9. xXFEDERICOXx
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2019

xXFEDERICOXx , Jun 21, 2019 :
    @OverDrive H.

Hi, thank you for trying to enhance our camera experience.
    I would like to ask you if is possibile to shoot RAW photos with telephoto and wide angle, that would be awesome.
    Maybe just a lens switch in the pro mode would do the job.
    I'll buy my O7Pro if you can make that happen :D
    Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019

B1560530162014 likes this.
  10. aristle.jm
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

aristle.jm , Jun 21, 2019 :
    Completed the survey, but I don't really get it. Is it a comparison of different software settings? Or is it for future models?

Abhay Gaikwad likes this.
  11. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jun 21, 2019

12. mpretty
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2019

mpretty , Jun 21, 2019 :
    @OverDrive H.
    Thanks for putting this together. I filled out the survey, and I'm interested in the results.
    If you consider a future survey, I would recommend you include some shots of people. One thing I've noticed with my OnePlus 7 Pro is that the skin tones in a lot of shots are off. And I would say that most people using their mobile camera (amateur photographers and normal users alike) are taking more pictures of people than buildings/nature.

OverDrive H. and roryrudy like this.
  13. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 21, 2019

that's part of what I'm running into. Skin tones were perfect. now they aren't. colors are wrong.

I just got the Gcam mod going. it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than the current OnePlus app.

14. Meister_Eder
    Donut Jun 21, 2019

Meister_Eder , Jun 21, 2019 :
    @OverDrive H.
    Absolutely, that would make the aux lenses at least more usable. Include them in nightscape as well maybe... I don't like this rather artifical restriction we're having here. Give me the option to take a long exposure with the ultrawide...

Also can't they just kinda use GCam as a base and build their own stuff on top? I was under the impression that it is open source, hence the numerous ports for seemingly any device. But either way there were some examples in the selection that looked much better. Looking forward to a stock camera that doesn't paint anymore.

Djordje D and B1560530162014 like this.
  15. OG_Kauie
    Eclair Jun 21, 2019

OG_Kauie , Jun 21, 2019 :
    @OverDrive H. I like the initiative but like other people have already voiced their concerns here, I too think the whole survey to figure out which phones processing is liked the best isn't the best idea. Many phones, OnePlus including are trying to produce the most appealing image through boosted saturation or contrast and that shouldn't be the case. You guys should concentrate on making the software produce images with as much natural detail as possible with the sensor in question while keeping an accurate colour profile. The noise reduction algorithm ruins fine detail, destroys facial textures ( especially in selfies ) and needs to be worked on. Any enhancement required to an image can be done with the click of a button by the user based on his/her needs and that should be the least of your concerns. Give us natural photos. Allow the tap to focus to stay locked on to focus for longer, it usually reverts to auto focus after 5-7 seconds. The phone definitely has the optical hardware capacity to justify its dxomark scores but the software you use only pulls it down.

16. nateavi
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2019

nateavi , Jun 22, 2019 :
    Can we get some love for the front camera? It's great and all, but can be better. How about put that AR core to good use with some AR emojis to rival apple?

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 22, 2019

elanglois , Jun 22, 2019 :
    I had to use my laptop to view this. Why are you creating surveys where it is SO hard to view the pictures and fit them on the phone screen? And then, if you zoom them to actually see what's on the screen, the damn thing fly's all over the place so you can't even stay on the same question.

Do you guys actually test these survey's on your phone? Or are you using a computer with a large screen monitor? Yeah, I thought so!

18. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 22, 2019

elanglois , Jun 22, 2019 :
    Additionally, the only people in the pictures seem to be accidents. Not a whole lot of skin tones where we could maybe tell what was oversaturated or off-colored. My OP7 makes skin tones look like zombies in the wrong light, but Gcam looks just fine.

OG_Kauie and hoosieradam like this.
  19. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 22, 2019

hoosieradam , Jun 22, 2019 :
    it's been a huge problem since the update. the overexposure is the main culprit I think. my daughter and I both have an olive complexion, but the new app bleaches us quite a bit.

OG_Kauie likes this.
  20. hoosieradam
    Froyo Jun 22, 2019

hoosieradam , Jun 22, 2019 :
    here's another example. it's minor on a phone screen but it's a big deal. same types of pictures with similar lighting. one is the original stock camera app. the other is the "improved" update.

the update is on the right. skin tone a bit washed out, and the chair has been artificially darkened and adjusted by the app. reds and oranges seem to be a huge problem now.

fwiw, the image of the chair on the left is exactly as it appears in real life.
    1561166733851.jpg