Playing past the hits. Get to know these five hidden video games and share your gems

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 27, 2020

Cheetosdust , May 27, 2020 :
    playing past the hits.png

For me, it was Dear Esther in 2012. Video games were maturing, taking chances without guns, platforms, bosses; they were telling stories solely focused on the narrative as the main vehicle to reach the player. Others followed: Gone Home and What Remains of Edith Finch, for example. Maturing is not the same as plateauing, so gamers felt new and more complex layers adjusting the meaning of gameplay and storytelling.

Video games are expanding then. You still have your yearly blockbusters, but you also have more and more experimentation that result in long-lasting memories. Having fun with The Last of Us, Gears 5 or Animal Crossing: New Horizons doesn’t mean you can't also have a great time managing a warehouse in Wilmot's Warehouse or playing as a goose in Untitled Goose Game. Diversification means more representation and that translates to more and more people happily playing.

This overarching scope also means a gargantuan number of games released each year, so it’s only natural that some titles remain hidden away from the spotlight. This torrent is transversal to every platform, including Android and its Google Play Store. We all know our PUBG and our Fortnite and our Asphalt, but in this thread I’m asking you to share your hidden gems, those games that you firmly believe only you know and love. As a jumping-off point, here are my five not so well-known Android offerings.

Mini Metro.jpg

Mini Metro. Dinosaur Polo Club, 2016

You know that feeling you have when you’re riding the subway and think “this line is not that effective”? Good news, in this game you are the one who designs the metro lines between stations. It’s not as easy as it sounds, especially because you need to keep passengers happy and the trains running with a certain level of efficiency. Give it some time and you'll soon be managing a metropolitan cobweb.

The White Door.jpg

The White Door. Rusty Lake, 2020

Isolation and desperation: these are two appropriate adjectives to classify The White Door. You play as Robert Hill and wake up in a mental institution. It can be described as a Point & Click game, however, the puzzles are not meant to stop you for hours on end. It’s a game that makes you think much more about the power of memory and the perception of the past instead of its puzzles. It’s a proposition fed by the routine until it breaks it.

Limbo.jpg

Limbo. Playdead, 2015

Perhaps the less “hidden” of the five, Limbo is a game that you really should try. A side-scroller by genre, it’s also a title with an atmosphere so thick, it’s impossible not to be immersed in its world. It’s not a horror game, even if all the shadows and dantesque figures can make you think that. Limbo was originally published in 2010 and has been an indie darling ever since. If you play Limbo, do yourself a favor and use your headphones.

Gorogoa.jpg

Gorogoa. Buried Signal, 2018

You have to start playing Gorogoa to understand just how good it is. The gist of it denominates it as a puzzle game, however, soon you’ll realize that organizing the panels is actually a journey. I mean, just look at it. And after you do, you can thank Jason Roberts, as he was the one who drew the panels by hand. It’s a title that works to elevate the genre where it belongs. And, unlike The Witness, you won’t have to take a PhD to solve the enigmas.

Minit.jpg

Minit. JW, Kitty, Jukio, Dom, 2019

The name Minit probably does not tell you much, but if you read it as “Minute” not only your mind is now blown away, but you understand the core mechanic of this adventure game: you play sixty seconds and you start all over again. I know this sounds more punishing than Sekiro or Bloodborne, but it isn’t. Somehow, the developers created something that’s a joy to play, full of great places and secrets. Amazingly, it’s also not repetitive at all.

These are just five names plucked from a tree of interesting works, so I’m sure you know at least a title that was not mentioned during this opening post. I hope you participate, letting other members of the community know about your findings. I can’t wait to read them. And if you find something new to play, please write your impressions too.

Indie, experimental games don’t want to and won’t substitute the established colossus. And those well-oiled blockbusters are getting better and better. For example, after becoming available on the Google Play Store, Fortnite is now playable at 90 frames per second on the screens that adorn the OnePlus 8 Series devices, as Pete so eloquently explained here. Live and let live, play and let play. Now, more than ever, gaming is for me, you, your kids, parents and even your nana.

Happy gaming, everyone.

2. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 28, 2020

MosheG1 , May 28, 2020 :
    I don't think I've played any old games that are uncommon, but I have many fond memories of playing angry birds, cut the rope, jetpack joyride and many of the other popular games of the past...

one unique game which I've recently started playing is this stupid stick man fighting game called supreme duelists which isn't much fun as a single player but you can play others using the same phone and that is quite fun to fight your friend in person! it doesn't explain the mechanics at all but it's not hard to figure out how to play

3. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 May 28, 2020

the_o2 , May 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for the thread, I'm going to mention some but not sure only I know these ;)
    I played most of them on my Moto G1 which is still fine in 2020 :cool:.

29 Card Game it is playing card game and little bit complex.

Racing Moto it was my first racing game on Android, to get the highest level of the bike I just edited the its data file which was in txt format and saved it, that time I feel like I'm a hacker man :cool::p

And many more games but those are more popular than this, so not mentioning them.

Tip: Go to your Play Store and then my apps & games slide to Library you will find old memories there, if you using same ID and haven't removed them from there :)

And give me some writing tips you community expert :rolleyes: always afraid to wrote something :smirk:.

4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 28, 2020

G_plusone , May 28, 2020 :
    That's quite the Collection there ;)
    Will have to try them on

5. Starcommander
    Lollipop May 28, 2020

Starcommander , May 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for this thread Cheetosdust!
    My favorite retro game would be :
    Screenshot_20200528-001019__01.jpg
    Those days were amazing!

6. Batman360
    Lollipop May 28, 2020

Batman360 , May 28, 2020 :
    Nice thread @Cheetosdust , always leaving us feeling nostalgic 😁
    My first video game (non-phone) was Mario and then Contra.
    My first game (phone) was Bounce

Bounce_Cheats.jpg

7. Swatiranjan
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2020

Last edited: May 28, 2020

8. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 28, 2020

MosheG1 , May 28, 2020 :
    contra was awesome!
    aren't we supposed to list mobile games though?

9. Batman360
    Lollipop May 28, 2020

I already did 😂 Watch below contra 😂

10. MKT_IRFAN3735
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2020

Starcommander and Cheetosdust like this.
  11. BhavyaMehta0786
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2020

BhavyaMehta0786 , via OnePlus 6 , May 28, 2020 :
    if we are talking about vintage phone games, there is no way that we can forget the all time most popular and iconic game, snake and it's sequels, the ultimate pass time

12. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 28, 2020

Cheetosdust , May 28, 2020 :
    Oh man, I do remember when Angry Birds and Cut the Rope were all the rage - Fruit Ninja too. We are getting old. :p

And many thanks for mentioning Supreme Duelists, I never heard of it before. :cool:

Hehe, I love how you went full Elliot on Racing Moto :Do_O

Many thanks for the tip, that's quite useful indeed - and it's useful too when you get a new device ;)

Hah, what are you talking about? Not only I do really like your posts - I do and they are a great way to make trips down memory lane. No no no, not calling you old or anything :rolleyes::p - if you like writing, just do it. That's the best tip I can give you. You'll have a reader in me. :cool:

Many thanks. If you try them, I do think the best one to play first is Limbo. The control scheme is nice and easy, and the whole game shows you what gaming in Android can be. I think you'll like it. :)

Thank you for sharing that game. Do you know the name? It reminds me of R-Type but I'm not sure that's it.

It does look cool and the epitome of "retro", even on that tiny screen. Thank you. :)

Oh wow, I do remember Bounce. :D:eek:

Contra is a classic. I just wish that instead of something like Rogue Corps, Konami developed a new, 2D game. Something like Sonic Mania for example. I'm sure it would look godly in some screens. :cool:

Hah, another Contra fan - this is becoming the Contra Fan Club. :p

Many thanks for sharing them and that Prince of Persia is indeed a classic. What I said about Contra before is also valid for Prince of Persia: that series needs to return. :cool:

Contra fans unite! :cool::p

Yep, this thread is about hidden gems you played on your mobile devices indeed, but you can mention games published on another platforms if you remember them and think other members will enjoy them too. No worries. :)

The classic and GOAT! :D

Spent so many hours playing that game it became a synonym of Nokia devices to me. Part of the appeal of that game is, to me, that it was pure gaming, a little bit like Pong, for example. :)

13. Batman360
    Lollipop May 28, 2020

I am very much sure it would look awesome af🔥

14. Starcommander
    Lollipop May 28, 2020

Game name space impact!

15. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 May 28, 2020

the_o2 , May 28, 2020 :
    :cool::cool:

True.

I'm old but still looks younger :cool:.
    BTW for being a Community Expert :rolleyes::cool:

16. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 28, 2020

G_plusone , May 28, 2020 :
    Limbo is quite popular as you mentioned too ;)
    I loved limbo

17. G_Soham
    Cupcake May 28, 2020

G_Soham , May 28, 2020 :
    the whole cube escape series from Rusty lake is amazing! highly recommended.

G_plusone likes this.
  18. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator May 28, 2020

19. Starcommander
    Lollipop May 28, 2020

XD