please bring volte support to AT&T

1. d3funct Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

d3funct, Aug 6, 2018 :
    Please bring volte support to AT&T. I have been using a Op3 and now a Op6 on AT&T and still there is no volte support. If pixel and essential can get AT&T to support there phones. Then I don't see why oneplus can't..

strw2001 likes this.
  2. ktom75 Cupcake Aug 6, 2018

ktom75, Aug 6, 2018 :
    at&t is blocking OnePlus phones it is working, it just at&t will not allow it

3. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 6, 2018

pablofg1978, Aug 6, 2018 :
    Volte is not an standard, AT&T and oneplus have to work together to implement it, and usually carries don't want to do it. They sells phones that are volte ready and I bet that they don't want that users buy the phone in other places.

4. SolsticeZero Jelly Bean Aug 6, 2018

5. nabbed Honeycomb Aug 6, 2018

nabbed, Aug 6, 2018 :
    I have AT&T prepaid - they don't provide VoLTE on prepaid, period.
    They want to suck your wallet dry.

6. d3funct Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

d3funct, Aug 6, 2018 :
    I know why they don't have it. . But if pixel can get it and essential can do it. Oneplus should talk to att and work together to get it working

7. d3funct Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

8. d3funct Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

d3funct, Aug 6, 2018 :
    I met Sammy at the op6 launch in SF. He was supposed to hit me up and work with me about this issue but never Contacted me....

9. d3funct Gingerbread Aug 9, 2018

10. deangilvin Gingerbread Aug 9, 2018

deangilvin, Aug 9, 2018 :
    Why are you bumping this? Do you think anyone from OP is going to respond? They're not.

AT&T loves when AT&T makes money, they make no money on your BYOD therefore AT&T gives no support on their network to people who bring their own devices. This is well known. OP can "reach" out until they are blue in the face, it is meaningless. Until AT&T agrees to sell their phone and make money, you will get no VoLTE.They make it as difficult as possible for you when you bring your own device. One of the reasons I left them, got tired of giving them IMEI numbers from a different phone onto my account to get my BYOD to work. Go over to TMobile, you get VoLTE and Wifi calling.

11. d3funct Gingerbread Aug 9, 2018

12. Kytharsis KitKat Aug 9, 2018

Kytharsis, Aug 9, 2018 :
    I'm personally waiting for them to build more towers in my area. Right now, coverage seems to suck ***.

13. deangilvin Gingerbread Aug 9, 2018

deangilvin, Aug 9, 2018 :
    Then stop complaining. Clearly AT&T sucks because you're crying you can't get VoLTE

With who? AT&T and T-Mobile are pretty equal where I am at, but I pay way less for more on T-Mobile

14. Kytharsis KitKat Aug 10, 2018

Kytharsis, Aug 10, 2018 :
    T-Mo. They're putting a LOT more retail locations this year (along with MetroPCS) so hopefully by next year it'll be decent. I'm currently rocking Cricket.

deangilvin likes this.
  15. pgrey Gingerbread Aug 10, 2018

pgrey, Aug 10, 2018 :
    Yeah, if T-Mobile ever gets much Band 71 proliferation, this discussion will probably end, for me, I'll switch. Right now though, their urban coverage is awesome, but only for the really big city centers in our state. If you get outside that much, you're almost always roaming, on AT&T, with T-Mobile, I'd say maybe 50-70% of the time, in rural.

I've been with AT&T for 20 years this year, all post-paid, and almost all on non-branded ATT phones, so I've never had VolTE, or more importantly (for me) Voice/text-over-WiFi. I'm often at locations in the winter, that have pretty good WiFi (skiing), but marginal-to-non-existant ATT cell coverage. So I can't use any kind of "normal" communication, I have to use a "stand in", like GoogleVoice, that is agnostic about where it's data comes from.

This is truly AT&Ts big failing, IMHO, they have that darn whitelist model, and if you're not branded (or one of maybe 5 other phones, who worked directly with AT&T, and undoubted paid them a handsome "licensing fee"), you're not getting any of these services, and this has NOTHING to do with OP, at all (realistically, there's not a lot of motivation for them to spend these resources with ATT, given all the carriers out there, like T-Mobile, where this "just works" with a OP).
    My hope is that eventually, enough people start buying non-carrier phones (seems unlikely, everyone likes to buy their phones from their carriers, finance them, and then get "penalized" in terms of almost-never updates, too), that the tide will change, and AT&T will ditch their whitelist.
    Edit: I should add that AT&T also whitelists pretty much any iOS device, that's their single, consistent exception to their rule, and probably covers a lot of their users...
    This annoys me to no end, I'll never get into the iOS closed business mess, and I fail to understand how AT&T gets away with this type of "favoritism", really. I don't think Apple pays "per certification", they get some sort of "blanket iOS" whitelist deal.
    Edit2: This is roughly equivalent to say Texaco having "Lexus and Mercedes only" gas-stations, which would NEVER fly, they know it'd get immediately wiped off the map, by consumer protection bureaus...

We can always hope, and try to get more friends/family to move to non-carrier phones (and non-iOS), send the message...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

d3funct likes this.
  16. acemimerakli Cupcake Aug 10, 2018

17. csiemers Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 10, 2018

Kytharsis likes this.
  18. Kytharsis KitKat Aug 10, 2018

deangilvin likes this.
  19. D1533943189592 Cupcake Aug 11, 2018