Please keep the old gestures on Android 10

1. Claudiu Cioloca
    Froyo Aug 4, 2019

Claudiu Cioloca , Aug 4, 2019 :
    OnePlus, please keep your already polished gestures on Android 10. Since the android 8, Google has no direction when it comes to usability and design, they are only stealing concepts from Apple and other phone manufacturers ( I'm a UI/UX designer, so I clearly see what they did here).

OnePlus gestures are way better for the long term usability. Because of the back gestures positioning, OnePlus gestures are passing Fitt's law, using the most accessible zone of the screen for navigation.

Google's new navigation otherwise, uses only the home gesture at the bottom. The back gesture doesn't make sense on the sides, since most of us are using cases and screen protectors. Also the swiping zone is to narrow and you can easily trigger the side menu on the left side. Imagine doing this 300 times a day, it's frustrating.

I know everyone wants companies to stick with stock android , but Google is now far behing. They took a loot of bad decisions without considering the user, and this started with android 9 pill button.

OnePlus should take the lead in software design and usability. I want in two years to see Google partnering with OnePlus developers in creating a better OS.

2. Sharry7
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2019

Sharry7 , Aug 4, 2019 :
    In this case, i fully agree with you.

Google is acting like a kid.

3. Claudiu Cioloca
    Froyo Aug 4, 2019

Claudiu Cioloca , Aug 4, 2019 :
    The went from leading design to adopting every bullshit. Teir navigation system was already made by Huawei and Xiaomi, and is not the best.

Sharry7 likes this.
  4. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 5, 2019

tide1109 , Aug 5, 2019 :
    I would say that OnePlus adds the new gesture to the navigation options. The basic buttons should stay too if Google didn't remove them Android Q.
    So the user has the choice.

I tested the new gestures already in DP on my OP6. The back gesture from the left is bad integrated, so I can't open the hamburger menu with a swipe. There is button too but I like the swipe for it.
    The gestures were still buggy but it's still a beta software.

One thing I like to see in the OnePlus gestures is animation in landscape.

5. Paulo Viana
    Froyo Sep 3, 2019

6. pm_mazur
    Froyo Sep 3, 2019

pm_mazur , Sep 3, 2019 :
    I would like to suggest adding 4 or 5 custom apps to the bottom when using the "recent apps" gesture, since buttons have customizable functions except for gesture based navigation.

7. steelew
    Eclair Sep 8, 2019

steelew , Sep 8, 2019 :
    I agree. my wife's pixel 2xl just got 10 and I tried the gestures out before reverting to the 2 button nav (which was fine until I experienced OnePlus's gesture nav). I really like the extra row of icons I got by going with OnePlus's gestures and they work really well. please include them on our version of android 10.

Claudiu Cioloca likes this.
  8. steelew
    Eclair Oct 3, 2019

steelew , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 3, 2019 :
    I have updated to OnePlus's Android 10 and the OnePlus 7 pro gesture nav is still there. I heard it won't be for any newer phones. that kind of sucks because googles gestures are garbage.

Claudiu Cioloca and Paulo Viana like this.
  9. MarkMessinger
    Froyo Oct 3, 2019

MarkMessinger , Oct 3, 2019 :
    I use the Vivid N.G. app on my OP6, and so have built on OxygenOS' excellent gestures

Now I only hope Vivid N.G. will continue to operate, after the Android 10 update.

10. Chris_sandi
    Eclair Oct 25, 2019

Chris_sandi , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 25, 2019 :
    Totally agree. It's a nightmare. The original OP6T navigation was far superior, not counting the stupid swipe up from the bottom sides which was as bad as the 10 offering.

Clean single bar in the middle worked fine. It also had space for the screen rotation icon which has now gone in 10.

It's a navigational mess.

Paulo Viana likes this.
  11. steelew
    Eclair Nov 4, 2019

12. Kerngehirn3
    Honeycomb Nov 4, 2019

13. G_Aleron_Toth_NfuR , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 4, 2019 :
    agreed, they should definitely ship all the gesture navigations we had. although I must say, that the pill button gestures are faster for me than the pure gestures. I actually use all three versions on my 1+6.