#PMChallange - Mute App Notifications for certain time

1. albertts Donut Feb 4, 2019

albertts, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Who are the users?

- Everyone that needs some time to concentrate and mute several apps notifications while keep his work apps notifications going in the same time.

What is the proposed function?

- When the user reciere a notification from app and swipe it halfway there can be placed a bell icon. When the user taps the icon a text and dropdown will be shown in the same dialog box. The text will be "Mute notifications for:" and then dropdown with 4 options: 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, forever. The user will also have option to unmute the app before the time expires through the notification center in the settings menu

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

- There isn't any feature exactly like that on the market. There is function to mute chats in messenger that is similar, but it's only for messenger. There is also similar ux experience in the pixels android when you snooze a notification, but there isn't a function to mute it for certain time.

Visual representation:

Screen 1 - Here the user can tap the bell icon which will mute the app notifications for 1 hour by default:

[​IMG]

Screen 2 - The user will be notified that the app notifications are muted for 1 hour and if the user taps on the text screen 3 will appear or undo the mutting.

[​IMG]

Screen 3 - If the user tapped the text for the default mute time a dropdown will appear with several more options to mute the app:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

2. gtast Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

gtast, Feb 5, 2019 :
    loved the idea! I think this options could be enabled with the physical silent/ring switch, if you set so.

3. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Venky61, Feb 5, 2019 :
    You mean like this?
    Screenshot_20190205-071145__01.jpg
    This option is available in Android Pie

4. albertts Donut Feb 5, 2019

albertts, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Exactly like this, but there will be bell icon that will mute the notifications for the whole app for certain time instead of snoozing one single notofinotific as the Android Pie function does. As I already said in my first post I really like the snoozing in the Pie so if there is also a notification muting that will be great.

Let's say you are in a meeting and still want to receive your email notifications, because you are waiting an important mail, but someone starts spamming you in some chat app. With this function you will be able to only mute the chat app notifications while keeping on the email notifications.

I hope its more clear now.

Ruby G. likes this.
  5. richardbloomfield Donut Feb 5, 2019

richardbloomfield, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I use an app called Silence Premium for that. It's a more feature-rich version of the Do Not Disturb feature.

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Already implemented in Android P. You can remove this post and create another one with your next most sought feature.

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  7. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 5, 2019 :
    On an unrelated note, when is someone going to give him Pie?

8. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Also, I never actually noticed that option before, I'm going to use the shit out of that.

9. ABBUD89 Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

ABBUD89, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I would like them to add a mini screen to use with one hand and that could be activated with the gestures (sorry for my English)

10. albertts Donut Feb 5, 2019

albertts, Feb 5, 2019 :
    No, it's not. Android Pie has the function to SNOOZE notifications for certain time, while my suggestion is to add also option to MUTE notifications for selected app directly through the notification drop-down.

11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

you do have the option to Stop notifications for the app from the drop down menu. but then there is no time that can be specified. you will have to go to settings to enable notifications again.

that said, I am not clear on how mute is different from snooze. isn't snooze applicable for the app as a whole?

12. albertts Donut Feb 5, 2019

albertts, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Nope, it's not, it is only for the current notification that you are snoozing.

13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Interesting. You should edit your original post to include the diagrammatic represention as required by the contest.

14. albertts Donut Feb 5, 2019

albertts, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I've updated my original post with visual representation of the suggested feature. Check it. I hope it's more clear now how it's supposed to work.

15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

nice. how did you do it?

16. albertts Donut Feb 5, 2019

17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

18. albertts Donut Feb 5, 2019

albertts, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Stock Android 9.0 and some photo editing :D

19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

20. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

Ruby G., Feb 11, 2019 :
    Nice idea @albertts :) the Gary and his team are really thinking about mindfulness these days too, so I’m sure they will love reading your idea