#PMChallenge - Add option to turn off screen while using screen casting/mirroring

1. AKS393
    Donut Feb 5, 2019

AKS393 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Hi,
    Oxygen OS already has a screen cast option which is ok.( i said ok because right now it only works if the smart tv is connected via wifi direct before turning on cast option.) But its not a major problem. What I'm proposing is that provide an option to turn off the phone display/screen while we're watching the phone content on tv. It would save battery a lot.
    • Who are the users?
    Everyone, but mostly who uses screen cast option.

• What is the purposed function?

Ability to turn off display while screen casting saves battery and it avoids the annoyance of one extra bright display turned on for no purpose. We only need to turn on the display when we want to control what we see. Usually everyone uses casting when watching movies or videos, so no subsequent use of screen controls, therefore no need for always on display.
    • What is the user value?
    It would benefit the user by saving his battery backup and less distracting to see the phone display as OFF than ON. I mean we're looking at the bigger screen anyways, why should the phone display be ON too, except when we want to control what we see.

• If there are existing comparable functions in smartphone industry?
    As far as i know, Lenovo P2 has that option to turn off the display while screen casting. And it has an option to enable that while in the cast menu. It's called as 'supercast'. If the user wants the option to turn off display while casting, he has to enable supercast option beforehand. And it has additional remote option to control the casted screen like a tv remote ( not using IR blaster, but by utilising wifi connection)
    Now i just want the option to turn on/off display while casting. The way the lenovo p2 does that is by simply pressing the lock button while casting. While screen casting, press lock button to turn off screen. Pressing again will turn the display back on. Phone cannot be locked while using screen cast. But thats okay because, your phone will be near you if you are casting.
    I know it's not superior to existing feature on other phones. But having the option to turn off display is enough. I think there's no need for sketches for this idea.

2. andreilascu
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

AKS393 likes this.
  3. syamil23
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2019

4. F_Sujay_Sankar_Roy_ovgz
    Donut Aug 28, 2019

5. A1569332267053
    Cupcake May 3, 2020

6. Marouf11
    Froyo Nov 22, 2020

7. leslviv
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2020

leslviv , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Need this.

Galaxy Note20 turns off the screen automatically after 15sec if watching a movie.

8. G1595663032160
    Cupcake Jan 12, 2021

G1595663032160 , Jan 12, 2021 :
    My old mobile SONY XZS turns off the screen automatically after 15sec during screen cast.
    Add this function in (NORD).