#PMChallenge - Alert slider feature - Off vibraitions in Ring mode

1. numbfall Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

numbfall, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    Everyone who uses the alert slider.

What is the proposed function?
    Right now we have three modes; Silent, Vibrate, Ring.

In Silent mode: There is no vibration, and no sound
    In Vibrate mode: There is vibration, and no sound
    In Ring mode: There is vibration, and sound

I propose a feature in Ring mode to turn off vibrations so;

In Ring mode: There is no vibration, and only sound (see images below)

[​IMG]
    Figure 1. Alert slider settings

[​IMG]
    Figure 2. Add new option in Ring mode settings

[​IMG]
    Figure 3. Feature pointed out with annotations

What is the user value?
    I feel users should be able to turn off vibrations because sometimes it is not comfortable in the pocket to feel the vibrations. Or when the phone is on the table, vibration makes the table and other objects buzz. But at the same time users would want control over toggling the vibrations using the alert slider. If we turn off vibrations completely (from System > Accessibility), at the moment, vibrations remain off in vibration mode.

Logically speaking, when the sound is on, there should be no reason for vibration to be on as well for notifications. It seems redundant and interruptive.

That's all.

Regards,
    Usman

yoloswagg27 likes this.
  2. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 20, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Ring mode honors the settings in Settings > Sound for vibration. Just turn it off there and you shouldn't have any issue

3. numbfall Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

numbfall, Feb 20, 2019 :
    I see "Vibration intensity" and "Vibration pattern". There is no "off" option there or inside of the mentioned settings.

4. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 20, 2019

You don't have a "also vibrate for calls" option and a "touch vibration" option? Turn those off and 99% of vibration will go away. You might also have to disable it in some apps, but that should be easy enough

5. numbfall Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

numbfall, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Notification vibration does not go away. Turning off vibration in apps turns off vibration in Vibration mode (of alert slider) as well.

Vibration mode. Vibrate only. Don't make sound here
    Ring mode. Sound only. Don't vibrate here

Difficult?

6. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 20, 2019

Ah, that makes more sense now. For notification vibrations, can't you just turn them off in the individual apps? But then I guess that would turn them off even in vibrate mode.

7. numbfall Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

numbfall, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Turning off vibration notification in individual apps will turn off notification in Vibration mode of alert slider as well. This will make the 3 steps on alert slider useless. It will make the silent mode and vibrate mode exactly the same.

Once again. my proposal is as follows:

Ring = make sound.... do not vibrate. (yes/no)
    Vibrate = no sound.... only vibrate. (no/yes)
    Silent = no sound.... no vibration. (no/no)

See. We got all combinations now.

Currently Ring only sets to (yes/yes). An option to set it to (yes/no) would be great. in other words this combo is missing in current OS

8. yoloswagg27 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

yoloswagg27, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Can I also propose that media volume be controlled by this as well? Not forced, but as an option. I would really like to have the media muted when the slider is put to vibrate only.