#PMChallenge - AMOLED LED notification around camera w/ Sketch

1. madon91
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

madon91 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Hi,
    My idea is to have notification light around the camera notch.

Who are the users?
    -Almost everyone can benefit from this.

What is the proposed function?
    - to have led notification on screen to notify user of something of importance.

What is the user value?
    - I think its would be priceless as no one would want to lose any important notification only because their phone doesnt have led light. And by not checking the phone again and again to see if there is any notification would increase the users productivity and less distractions.

Any existing feature?
    - not that I know of.

Logic behind the idea
    - With great AMOLED one oneplus devices, its would be easy to implement this very easy yet effective idea. This not only battery friendly (only activate small pixels around camera notch)
    But also prevents user ftof chechche their phone often, increasing quality of life. After all, thatet what Oneplus would want right?

Basic Diagram attached in this thread. (please excuse my drawings :) )
    20190204_121919.jpg

2. Cornhulio
    Donut Feb 4, 2019

Cornhulio , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Basically I love this idea. Sometimes I miss a notification LED and a replacement around the notch based on the energy saving display would be a good idea. But how does it go hand in hand with the always-on-display, which gives me a similar function?

AnunciPronunci likes this.
  3. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 4, 2019

meatandy , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Seems like a great idea , however I'm pretty sure this #PMC is about future features on upcoming phones down the line.

Gibbi03 and alessiodales like this.
  4. madon91
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

madon91 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Well, due to lack dedicated notification light, this is similar to always-on-display (AoD)
    Only difference being, this lights up only small region (very efficient on AMOLEDs) and this can save even more battery as compared to mainstream AoD

5. madon91
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

madon91 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    They asked us for ideas, we gave them ;)

6. F_Bruno_Cardoso_cpJJ
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

7. Youssif Mohamed
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

Youssif Mohamed , Feb 4, 2019 :
    this is exactly what i want. it would be amazing if they heard us

8. rajkiran20
    Donut Feb 5, 2019

rajkiran20 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Though it's a good idea, OnePlus 7 is likely having a slider camera so you don't have a camera fitted in/under the screen.

Gibbi03 likes this.
  9. Gibbi03
    Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

10. AnunciPronunci
    Honeycomb Feb 5, 2019

AnunciPronunci , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Or alternatively have a group of four or so pixels in the location where the notification LED used to be so that it can mimic the old system.

Sam Nakamura likes this.
  11. knicefire
    Donut Feb 5, 2019

knicefire , Feb 5, 2019 :
    The link here would be helpful

Gibbi03 likes this.
  12. Q1549101112986
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

13. Gibbi03
    Eclair Feb 5, 2019

14. Sam Nakamura
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 9, 2019

Sam Nakamura , Feb 9, 2019 :
    That's a good idea I was thinking about since quite a while, however I had a more traditional approach in mind with just a group of a few Pixels blinking in a by the user defined region and color, that's a perfect AMOLET screen feature as individual pixels can be controlled with this technology, no need to use the whole screen and to prevent burn-in the group of pixels could slightly rotate so that not always the same group of pixels gets used... Wonder why this wasn't actually considered as a launch feature for the 6t, Samsung phones do have AOD & notification LED and it doesn't contradict each other, it completes a great user experience in my opinion!

15. meljohnsony2k
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2019

meljohnsony2k , Feb 22, 2019 :
    Honestly i was going to create a new thread for the exactly same feature and then i saw this thread. I love this idea and this is one of the basic features new oneplus devices need. The one main thing i miss is the notification led and i think it will be a great idea if they implement this on our 6T and upcoming devices. Only a small number of pixels have to be used to show a pulse around the notch exactly as rendered by OP. The color of the notification light can be set by the user for different apps as well as a default color. The advantage of using the screen is extensive customization like different shapes(fade,dotted,solid) and animations (blink, pulse, steady, etc), changing the speed of the animations, color and even size to our liking. Almost everyone would be using this feature and it will not be affecting the ambient display. The notch light can be on always and can be incorporated with burn in protection features. When the ambient display comes on, it will still be on and when the screen is turned on, the notch light can be turned off. This feature can be carried over to future devices as they also wont have notification leds and if other manufacturers can make it happen without a lot of battery use, i think 1+ can also implement this feature. The notch on the 6T is beautiful and i would love if it was used to light up and show information. Anyone who doesnt like it can turn it off too :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

16. meljohnsony2k
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2019

I dont see an aod option for the 6T and users will always have the option to turn it off if they do not like it. I would prefer this notch lighting to notify me rather than picking up my phone or turning it on everytime

17. meljohnsony2k
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2019

Im sure they can implement it on the top edge of the screen or anywhere on the screen. They have the option and more the customizability, the more happier users like me are. There is no harm in having an extra feature.

18. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean Feb 22, 2019

LegolasX , Feb 22, 2019 :
    i am not against the features, but the more features they will cram into oxygen os, the more delays we will see in updates.
    as we can see how hungry OnePlus users are for updates.
    also the current testing features in betas aren't even available on stable yet and its already about 6-8 months and some of them won't actually make it to stable.
    would love to see new features but not at cost of delayed updates..

meljohnsony2k likes this.